Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can you give a Greenville show report?

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Family issue came up that kept me from going to this show.
I really wanted to see some coins!
Please give us a recap of the show if you went.
NEWPS anyone?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can give a very short report as well. I was pressed for time on Friday but was able to attend for about 90 minutes. I got there about 10:30 am and there was a short line out the door. Took about 20 minutes to get thru the Covid protocols which were laid out well and clear. The bottleneck step was that everyone attending had to sign a waiver that was in a single three ring binder. Two binders would have made the entire process twice as fast. So much for the protocols, but when you want to look at and buy coins, you don't want to waste much time in line. Overall, it was well done.

Table layout was more typical of a pre-Covid show. Dealers were side by side like they usually are. This is a large venue so the aisles for attendees are quite wide and it is easy to social distance. I noticed a number of empty tables that appeared to be reserved, perhaps those dealers were arriving later.

Since I was pressed for time, I skipped many of the "regulars" and focused on what I was on the hunt for. US type gold and capped bust halves. Looked at several dozen $20 Libs but none caught my eye. Prices were on the high side and I had to chuckle as there must have been two dozen slabbed 1904 double eagles on the floor. Looked at a few $10 Indians - no luck there. Did find a Type 3 gold dollar at JJ Teaparty - NGC MS64 CAC. It's good to see JJ Teaparty at the larger Carolina shows as they have quite the inventory. Sorry for the quick cell photos.

Also found a CBH to fill a slot - 1826 PCGS AU58. Has cobalt blue rims that I didn't capture very well.

Also noticed a number of currency dealers - more than I usually see around here. I casually walked thru that aisle, actually hoping that nothing caught my eye.

Overall it appeared that those in attendance were buying and it also looked like a fair amount of dealer to dealer transactions were occurring. It felt like a normal show to me - lots going on.

I did not price bullion. One dealer I was at was giving silver eagle pricing to one customer (by the piece and roll), prices seemed high to me but I haven't bought silver since the run up (the customer bought a roll). Kicked myself because I should have brought a couple of rolls of silver eagles to take some profits.

Overall, I had a good time, looked at a lot of coins and actually came home with two for the collection. Didn't even try to sell the pieces I brought due to time constraints.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reports.... Sounds like a great show - busy, lots of material and sales. Those are both nice coins @Cameonut . Even with the virus protocol, it seems a good show can be successful. Hoping FUN has planned ahead. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could've gone. This one of the BEST run shows in the south east. Hopefully there will
    be a report or two with pics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file