Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post Soak Photo's _ Lincoln Fan's, Should I have certified? 1914D

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2, 2020 10:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Dear Lincoln Enthusiast,
Should I have this 1914D kept from my childhood certified, or just cherish as is?

Give me your thoughts, thanks for looking and happy Halloween! Joe

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

as is

that green on the rim is corrosion.

I'll let the copper guys discuss that

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

As is.

Between the obverse corrosion, reverse PVC and reverse rim bump I think you would be looking at a details encapsulated coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

as is.

find a nice good non-pvc and dry place to store it. in numismatics it seems, decades have a way of slipping by. :wink:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@TomB said:
    As is.

Between the obverse corrosion, reverse PVC and reverse rim bump I think you would be looking at a details encapsulated coin.

Thanks, I'm sorry, what is this? reverse PVC

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also do not think this will straight grade for the reasons that TomB pointed out.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the no camp as well

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

As is.
    Corrosion.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    as is.

find a nice good non-pvc and dry place to store it. in numismatics it seems, decades have a way of slipping by. :wink:

@LanceNewmanOCC , are you stating that my flip-fold cause this? Reverse PVC

• Options

soft plastics have chemicals that will react with metal and the result will have a surface deposit that will have eaten metal off the coin. once the contamination is removed the area underneath will be pitted.

TomB says it is PVC reaction on the reverse. a SOAK in acetone will remove that.

buy some, or one, of these https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/cardboard-coin-flips/

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    soft plastics have chemicals that will react with metal and the result will have a surface deposit that will have eaten metal off the coin. once the contamination is removed the area underneath will be pitted.

TomB says it is PVC reaction on the reverse. a SOAK in acetone will remove that.

buy some, or one, of these https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/cardboard-coin-flips/

@MsMorrisine, Appreciate the information. Will the acetone soak than label the coin as cleaned?

Joe

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

i have no idea what your flip fold looks like nor what the composition is.

find a mylar type holder/flip to keep it in if you don't know what the previous one was made of. copper is a rather corrosive metal.

a can of acetone cost me $5 give or take at the hardware store a few weeks back and letting it soak for a while, hours/days won't hurt it at all. i'm not sure acetone will get rid of that green spot on the reverse. that is probably more of a olive/mineral oil type situation. there are some other specialty copper soaking compounds but the names escape me just now and they are not inexpensive either.

that 14-d is worth putting some effort in to keep it stable/safe. i would recommend some type of thicker plastic coin holder but i'm not sure whom makes inert ones. copper is also soft, so putting it in a 2x2 w/o knowing how much you know about storing collectables, so i try to presume people i am not familiar with know nothing so they can try to take the safest/most economical route forwards.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the rim deformity would give it a damaged grade without all the other issues.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2020 2:38PM

trying to RUB that green off will scratch it up. that's why you soak it off. attempts that scratch it off will get it called cleaned.

if a toothpick finds that green is a hard crust, then an acetone soak won't get it off.

acetone baths will not leave a coin looking cleaned nor would it get a coin labelled as cleaned.

• Options

I think the problems with the surfaces will get it a details grade alone. the big rim ding on the reverse doesn't help.

sentimentality makes it priceless, though.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Joe_360 said:

i have no idea what your flip fold looks like nor what the composition is.

find a mylar type holder/flip to keep it in if you don't know what the previous one was made of. copper is a rather corrosive metal.

a can of acetone cost me $5 give or take at the hardware store a few weeks back and letting it soak for a while, hours/days won't hurt it at all. i'm not sure acetone will get rid of that green spot on the reverse. that is probably more of a olive/mineral oil type situation. there are some other specialty copper soaking compounds but the names escape me just now and they are not inexpensive either.

that 14-d is worth putting some effort in to keep it stable/safe. i would recommend some type of thicker plastic coin holder but i'm not sure whom makes inert ones. copper is also soft, so putting it in a 2x2 w/o knowing how much you know about storing collectables, so i try to presume people i am not familiar with know nothing so they can try to take the safest/most economical route forwards.

Frist of all thank you for the details, great stuff and appreciated. I actually have 299 Lincoln pennies (more but thay are duplicates dates/mints) All but the 1909S VDB are in 2*2 folders that are placed in a 20 sheet plastic holder and than each sheet in a hard cover book/folder. After hearing this on considering moving them to a Whitman that has the duel clear plastic slides instead.

Two questions:
    1) What is you option on Whitman storage verses my current one?
    2) Will using your acetone soak be considered cleaning and lower the value of the coin (verses leaving as is)?

Thank you again, Joe

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    After hearing this on considering moving them to a Whitman that has the duel clear plastic slides instead.

Two questions:

those slides can cause friction / rub on the coins. skip them.

get those cardboard holders as shown in the link above.

• Options

Many thanks to all! Glad I posted and appreciate the great input.

Obviously, I try to handle ad take good care of my coins, but you learn that sometime you over look something.

Please see my three questions, anyone can chime in. I started off a Lincoln collector and I do like to look at my collection and keep it n the best possible condition, so please provide any inputs.

Thanks again, Joe BTW, I do love my 1914D

Two questions:
    2) Will using your acetone soak be considered cleaning and lower the value of the coin (verses leaving as is)?
    3) Other advice?

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Lance said - hit it with acetone and send us another pic.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@Joe_360 said:
    After hearing this on considering moving them to a Whitman that has the duel clear plastic slides instead.

Two questions:

those slides can cause friction / rub on the coins. skip them.

get those cardboard holders as shown in the link above.

Thanks, Current storage method:

• Options

oh.

those are perfect.

when we hear 2x2s we think of these:

think of it as local lingo to separate a cardboard holder from a plastic 2x2.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    Thanks, Current storage method:

i honestly don't know whether those cardboard flips are safe just because they look like the kind that are. (which looks like the kid that are safe)

i don't recall ever reading how to differentiate them, even after a decade reading tens of thousands of posts. if i did, i don't recall. if they are mylar or another safe type i'm not familiar with, that is a nice way to store your coins and enjoy them.

keep em out of sight and don't publicize you have them and/or in your home. you can analyze the cost of a SDB vs how much all of your collection is worth. it isn't a fun subject to broach but numismatics along with a few other areas of collectables/valuables brings inherent risk and things don't always go so well for the owners.

if you do take the SDB route, ensure the coins are stored properly and unfortunately, with pvc and/or other harmful agents, you cannot always see them on the surfaces, so if you do, check on them probably once every 30-60 days for the first year or two. there have been many occasions when people buy some nice stuff, seemingly store it properly and/or conserve only to go back and find some rather big problems have occurred. it isn't as much paranoia as it is preservation and being pragmatic.

don't know your life/habits/location etc, so you have to take what you read here/elsewhere and apply as necessary all to ensure you keep your collection for enjoyment/value and possibly heirs.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rotate your pictures.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

1914-Ds are always in demand for album-based collectors. I'm sure many would like that coin just as it is.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

the product was called verdi-care. that'd help with light to mid-level verdigris, but if it is PVC then acetone will do the job.

I don't know if verdi-care is even still made. perhaps someone should buy the inventor out.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 5:09PM

No. Album coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer your question...Acetone will NOT harm your coin, nor will it be called 'cleaned'. Acetone will remove organic deposits only. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to sell eventually , soak and slab.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slab it, just to authenticate it. Even if you don't sell it, your heirs will.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread and you've gotten some great responses so far. I will not comment on whether to have yours slabbed or not, because you've already gotten great advice on that question.

As for your storage question: I'm not real familiar with Whitman but I think they are equivalent to the Dansco. From my personal experience with my Lincoln set- I kept them all as you do now - until I had the set completed at which point I invested (or SPENT is probably a better word for it) the $30 or so to get a Dansco album. Taking care when opening each cardboard/ mylar holder with a toothpick at the edge of the circular window, using just a small poke (do not remove staples to take out the coin please!) then just taking out each coin one at a time and inserting into the correct hole in the album. I agree with previous posters who have cautioned you to be careful also when sliding the clear plastic over the coins. To prevent scratching I will either be sure the coin is in the opening to the bottom so the slide will not touch or sometimes I will even insert them from the back again in the hole as far as they will go before sliding the plastic into the slot and covering the coins which will prevent any scratching from slides. I liked using your method when assembling the collection; however, now I enjoy the compact and pvc free method of the Dansco album. In the end it does feel a bit wasteful that I changed my method of storage from the cardbaord/ mylars in the sheets in binders, but really like the compact size which makes storage that much easier too.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    oh.

those are perfect.

when we hear 2x2s we think of these:

think of it as local lingo to separate a cardboard holder from a plastic 2x2.

Thank again for the quick reply. But you believe(?) that my folder may not be Mylar and therefore I should go through the exercise of replacing to be sure?> @ricko said:

To answer your question...Acetone will NOT harm your coin, nor will it be called 'cleaned'. Acetone will remove organic deposits only. Cheers, RickO

@rICKO, always appreciated Joe

• Options

@jedm said:
    Interesting thread and you've gotten some great responses so far. I will not comment on whether to have yours slabbed or not, because you've already gotten great advice on that question.

As for your storage question: I'm not real familiar with Whitman but I think they are equivalent to the Dansco. From my personal experience with my Lincoln set- I kept them all as you do now - until I had the set completed at which point I invested (or SPENT is probably a better word for it) the $30 or so to get a Dansco album. Taking care when opening each cardboard/ mylar holder with a toothpick at the edge of the circular window, using just a small poke (do not remove staples to take out the coin please!) then just taking out each coin one at a time and inserting into the correct hole in the album. I agree with previous posters who have cautioned you to be careful also when sliding the clear plastic over the coins. To prevent scratching I will either be sure the coin is in the opening to the bottom so the slide will not touch or sometimes I will even insert them from the back again in the hole as far as they will go before sliding the plastic into the slot and covering the coins which will prevent any scratching from slides. I liked using your method when assembling the collection; however, now I enjoy the compact and pvc free method of the Dansco album. In the end it does feel a bit wasteful that I changed my method of storage froall the m the cardbaord/ mylars in the sheets in binders, but really like the compact size which makes storage that much easier too.

All, I can't tell how much I appreciate all the advice. Maybe just me, I am stupid and live and work in the high tech industry.

But for the life of me, I can not see how those plastic album slides can damage a coin... Really? Have anyone actually experience this? Seen where it has caused damage?

Thanks to all, Joe

• Options

it is something to think about if part of the coin breaks through the window in the cardboard holder.

any contact with soft plastic will cause pvc damage.

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

It could be your vinyl pages and not the cardboard holders that caused the damage- I've seen some of the older pages that caused that PVC damage on some of a family members coins - older pages my uncle bought in the 60's or 70's.

• Options

and those staples would likely react

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    it is something to think about if part of the coin breaks through the window in the cardboard holder.

any contact with soft plastic will cause pvc damage.

Is that for all metals? Copper, nickel and silver? Is one more susceptible then others?

• Options

Post acetone soak photos' forthcoming...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 ... Those plastic sliding inserts often accumulate fine grit or debris... and the movement back and forth can cause scratches on the coin.... Also, sometimes the leading edge can be coarsely cut and also induce scratches. Cheers, RickO

• Options

i think copper is most reactive, but all are susceptible.

• Options

Dear Friends,
    Thanks again for all your comments. Photo's from post acetone soak. I only hope that no one say, "Happy Halloween he fell for it..." Thoughts and comments... Joe

• Options

One more

• Options

I believe that the wheats are fairly strong...

• Options

minimal pvc damage. you reallycan't tell it was ever there. it looks much better without it and you don't have to worry about further reaction.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd put it in my Dansco. Too many issues for a problem-free holder.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2020 11:39AM

Good news - coin is better after the acetone. Good to get stuff like that off so it does not continue to corrode. Bad news - I just now see your rim ding. That will not get it graded as it will come back in a genuine holder because of the ding.
    WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing no one has mentioned...the way I was told to tell the difference between a storage product that has PVC and one that does not is to give it a sniff. If it smells like a shower curtain it has PVC and shouldn't be used for coin storage, and if it does not have a detectable aroma it is likely inert and good for coin storage.

• Options
    edited November 3, 2020 7:49PM

@Joe_360 said:

you are fortunate. green areas like that don't always respond to acetone but it is the quick easy thing to do to find out. glad it removed yours w/o any major problems underneath.

i have some indian cents and indian nickels that did NOT respond to acetone long soaks. actually reminds me i have an au 1868 still in right now i need to check on.

i really need to get some mineral oil or try the olive oil i have.

here in the next week or so i'll be posting a monster green affected coin and how that acetone soak went. will be interesting.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    One thing no one has mentioned...the way I was told to tell the difference between a storage product that has PVC and one that does not is to give it a sniff. If it smells like a shower curtain it has PVC and shouldn't be used for coin storage, and if it does not have a detectable aroma it is likely inert and good for coin storage.

Never heard that one before.

Neat!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin will not straight grade if slabbed by a major TPG. The corrosion damage, while not all that bad, is still corrosion damage. The coin is very much acceptable to many/most album collectors just as it is. You take good photos so you would probably do very well in an on-line auction.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    The coin will not straight grade if slabbed by a major TPG. The corrosion damage, while not all that bad, is still corrosion damage. The coin is very much acceptable to many/most album collectors just as it is. You take good photos so you would probably do very well in an on-line auction.

Really not interested in selling, thanks. Was just wondering if I should grade...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file