Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Had to beat the bushes a little for this estate sale pickup.

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last weekend I went to a local estate sale and saw a few world coin books and a decent little display case. I mentioned that the case would make a nice one for selling coins out of (My intro for bringing up the topic). The seller then mentioned that she did have some coins that she might sell.

Today I went back for the last day of the sale and was able to make an offer. What do you think is in the box?

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

West Virginia mining tokens?
    I once landed at Kanawha airport in 1976 - it can be quite exciting. Especially the taxi ride down the mountain.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know but I'm sure you'll have fun looking through it.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 10:15AM

commemoratives

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Cameonut said:
    West Virginia mining tokens?
    I once landed at Kanawha airport in 1976 - it can be quite exciting. Especially the taxi ride down the mountain.

Good guess and I wish! That actually would have been a better find than the silver.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

and all bought at face !

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave
    Still a nice pickup - that is quite the haul of silver. Sounds like you are on the inside track for a second batch.

I remember my visit to Charleston in 1976 very well. I was graduating from Wisconsin with a chemical engineering degree and was set to interview at Union Carbide. Took a North Central flight down from Madison, I remember watching the terrain as we descended - then all of a sudden you see the mountain slope upwards quickly. Just when you think you are going to slam into the side of the mountain, the wheels touch. My heart skipped a beat or two. The cab ride down the mountain was interesting - a little snow and ice and lots of turns. I sat in the middle of the back seat with a hand on each door for stability.

I also recall the take off when leaving. A 737 with all the center seatbacks folded forward. First time I ever took off from a short runway where weight was a big deal. The flight wasn't full but the launch was fun.

Interview went fine and got an offer, but ultimately decided to work elsewhere. Always smile to myself when I pass the airport on I-77.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is a haul of silver dollars!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great luck. Congrats and I hope you get a return gig.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were you able to snag the 90-CC, 94-O and 95-O?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    Were you able to snag the 90-CC, 94-O and 95-O?

I bought em all. I did get to look at the safe too. Boy it was old and nice and heavy about 5 feet tall. Mosler Cincinnati Oh. with big thick door and a nice river scene painted in the inside. Maybe one day I’ll get a call.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most looked pretty low grade when values jump up commensurate with grade. Do you see many that would justify the cost of a grading submission?

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should tell them you want to buy the antique safe

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Most looked pretty low grade when values jump up commensurate with grade. Do you see many that would justify the cost of a grading submission?

None should slabbed IMO.

I have an antique mall booth and most of these will go in my case there. I may keep the best 20.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... That's pretty nice!

• Options
    InditonkaInditonka Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Hope you get the call to get more, be awesome to see what's remaining in there!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... what a nice surprise. I would love to find such a haul at an estate sale.... Once I asked about coins at a sale, they said they had a few, but were not selling them. Still wonder what was there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the 1928 a Philadelphia?

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since no one has beaten me to it. I’ll
    Take the 90 cc for $24.00 ;)
    Nice haul
    Martin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji