Home U.S. Coin Forum

1944 Steel Penny

Found this 1944 steel penny yesterday. At least I'm pretty sure thats what it is. Its been struck about 20 times looks like it got caught up in the machine. But here's a few pics. Let me know what u think

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo of reverse?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tlc1979 said:

_ Its been struck about 20 times looks like it got caught up in the machine._

What do you mean?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks more like a 1943 than a 1944 and appears to be corroded, not struck multiple times.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a badly corroded/rusted steel cent. No collector value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you find it?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusted steel cent. What makes you think it was struck 20 times?

Also, from the pic I don't see 1944. :/

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnetic?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even close so no cigar.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting.........

Vplite99
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

Yup.

This. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

• Yes its corroded. the front and the back are covered in letters and numbers and u can see his image all the way around the coin like someone kept spinning it while stricking it. But I'm beginning to think its actually a 1945 I guarantee it got stuck somewhere in the minting process thats why all the letters and #'s on it and after a year+ it finally made its exit/demise. but ill post better pic if you look by the pencil you will see a 5 it goes all the way around the rim
    So 1945 Steel penny maybe but most of you are so quick just to shoot it down I get it u see so many people posting trying to get rich or something I just enjoy the hunt

• here is back it even says 1945 all over the back
    easier to see all in person not best pics

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 11:08PM

So the front and back are both covered with numbers? That must mean it got flipped over in the machine after going round and round. And then went round and round and round and round again!......I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. It's amazing! It went round and round....got flipped.....and then went round and round and round some more. 🌪

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2020 2:10AM

Welcome to the forum! :)

Your coin is soo rusted that you can't even make out the date yet you are seeing dates all over it?
    The dates you think you are seeing would have been rusted away also.
    You are layers down into the original surfaces of the coin, none of the original surfaces as struck are left to see.
    Your coin has the look of a genuine rusted US steel cent and I'm sure that is what it is but a grading company may decline to even give it a "Genuine Corroded" label.
    There is just enough left of this coin to tell it is genuine....nothing more. :/

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tlc1979 .... Welcome aboard....You are receiving some expert inputs on your steel cent. It is a 1943 corroded steel cent. The numbers and condition you describe is not possible in the minting process. The perception of images and numbers is called 'pareidolia'.... If you remain convinced of what you believe you see, submit it to the experts at PCGS. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a coin is struck, it is held in place by a collar (plain for cents and nickels, reeded for dimes, quarters and halves). The planchet is slightly smaller than the collar so it can easily fit. As it is struck by the die, it expands slightly and fills the collar. This Tight fit makes it very difficult to rotate in the collar once, yet alone multiple times. That's why this type of error is hard to find. Also, the location of the letters/numbers wouldn't be in random locations.

A flip over double strike is another error that is rarely encountered. Remember that the coin has already been struck and for it fit exactly in the collar after it was ejected is extremely low. If it somehow beat very high odds and managed to fit exactly, then it would also have to spin in collar multiple times. Very, very unlikely.

If all this occurred on a regular coin, it would be a spectacular error, worthy of write ups in numismatic publications. Now consider that There are only a few dozen authentic 1944 steel cents known. For your coin to be the error you claim, not one, not 2, but 3 very improbable events would have to occur.

Now look at at your coin. It has a lot of corrosion, which can happen to steel cents. The corrosion caused the date to be indistinct. Is it possibly that the rusty corroded surfaces could make it seem like there are letters and numbers?

That's why members are saying that your coin is a corroded 1943 cent.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see 43 plain and simple

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a search, the 44 steel was a S mint; I found nothing on the other mints.

The star of the group is the finest of two known 1944-S Lincoln cents in steel, which is PCGS graded MS-66.

This same 1944-S brought $373,750 when auctioned on July 31, 2008, at an ANA Convention.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    So the front and back are both covered with numbers? That must mean it got flipped over in the machine after going round and round. And then went round and round and round and round again!......I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. It's amazing! It went round and round....got flipped.....and then went round and round and round some more. 🌪

The wheels on the bus go round and round, you know ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

there would be more than 5's visible (none visible) when a coin is multiplely struck. the reverse is plain an unremarkable past the corrosion.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file