Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

'EID MAR' (Ides of March) Brutus Aureus Breaks Record for Roman Coin, Sells for $3.5m.

Certified earlier this month by NGC as Mint State ★, 5/5 strike, 3/5 surface, this rare and incredibly historically important aureus of Brutus is the third known example of the type (of the other two, one is on long-term loan to the British Museum, and the other is in the Deutsche Bundesbank collection). The sale surpasses the high-water mark set by a bronze sestertius of Hadrian that sold for around $2.5 million in 2008.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/julius-caesar-coin-record-sale-scli-intl-gbr/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/cnn_latest+(RSS:+CNN+-+Most+Recent)

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the hammer price was £2,750,000.00, plus BP, makes it over $4,000,000.00.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're right, I took the article at its word, and it conflated the top bid with the sale price. The final bid was £2.7 million, but premium and fees took it to £3.24 million. Final total at today's conversion rate is just under $4,200,000.

Surprisingly, the presale estimate was apparently only £500,000.

• Options

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

Surprisingly, the presale estimate was apparently only £500,000.

The presale estimate was just to get people excited.

• Options

@SmEagle1795 said:
    It is an incredible coin. I was fortunate to buy a denarius of the type a couple weeks ago (for 1/10th of the price of the aureus). I sold my previous example a few years ago hoping I'd eventually upgrade it and this coin is now definitely a keeper for me:

1/10th of a 4 million dollar coin is still not chump change. Sorry to mention the cost; it’s just envy showing.

As for the coin itself, well, frankly, that too is assuredly enviable too. Congratulations!

EVP

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful denarius @SmEagle1795

Rarity and metal composition aside, I much prefer yours. A great portrait with full legends, major upgrade to the one you had previously. Congrats!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently attempts to sell this aureus via private treaty at much lower amounts were unsuccessful. Now, in an auction, it sets a new record for a Roman coin. Increasingly, it seems that auctions now rule the high end of the market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    It is an incredible coin. I was fortunate to buy a denarius of the type a couple weeks ago (for 1/10th of the price of the aureus). I sold my previous example a few years ago hoping I'd eventually upgrade it and this coin is now definitely a keeper for me:

That's an awesome example!

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    Wonderful denarius @SmEagle1795

Rarity and metal composition aside, I much prefer yours. A great portrait with full legends, major upgrade to the one you had previously. Congrats!

Thanks! I was worried I'd end up being permanently priced out but thankfully the stars aligned for this one. It was still more expensive than my first house but I'm very glad to have crossed it off my list.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection