Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2 Actual Coin Star Finds (after Mercury post)

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2020 1:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Dear Forum Friends,
After the nice response I got on my 1916 Mercury Dime question/Coin Star find.

I want to share two more of my greatest Coin Star Finds. I think rare finds. Enjoy and let me know if you got me beat!

A 1889 Seated Liberty Dime and a 1774 Spanish Silver coin - Enjoy, and yes Honestly found in Coin Star, bu not at the same time and/or location, Joe

Comments

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

i think i've only found 1 silver roosie, and a boatload of foreigns in my local coinstar

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options

@VTchaser said:
    i think i've only found 1 silver roosie, and a boatload of foreigns in my local coinstar

I have so many foreign coins, I could go live in Canada, Mexico or Europe...

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@VTchaser said:

Or a long vacation of some kind

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds @Joe_360

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@VTchaser said:

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

For purposes of accuracy, and in case you didn’t already know, your dime is an 1889-S.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    For purposes of accuracy, and in case you didn’t already know, your dime is an 1889-S.

Yes, thanks for catching that I didn't note that. Joe

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Spanish coin is a one reale I think.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool finds!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Dear Forum Friends,
    After the nice response I got on my 1916 Mercury Dime question/Coin Star find.

I want to share two more of my greatest Coin Star Finds. I think rare finds. Enjoy and let me know if you got me beat!

A 1889 Seated Liberty Dime and a 1774 Spanish Silver coin - Enjoy, and yes Honestly found in Coin Star, bu not at the same time and/or location, Joe

Both are absolutely sick finds (as the kids say).

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dream finds!
    1889-s .

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are Hall of Fame worthy finds, but finds such as these always make me a little sad as I suspect many of these found pieces ended up in a CoinStar machine because they were stolen.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to find a really notable coin in the coinstar... a few silver Roosevelt dimes...wheaties for sure...lots of Euro's and other foreign coins. I agree with @TomB about such finds likely being pilfered from a collection, since they really are not in circulation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t get to the stores so I never check those machines but those are amazing finds. I wonder if they were planted?

• Options

@TomB said:
    They are Hall of Fame worthy finds, but finds such as these always make me a little sad as I suspect many of these found pieces ended up in a CoinStar machine because they were stolen.

I always figure that they were taking from Grandma and Grandpa jars. Nothing that I can do about that.

True: One time I found 28 dollars in new quarters, and I knew that they were stolen. Someone opening rolls so fast that the machine could not keep up. Dumping rolls so fast to get out of there and did not care about the returns....

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    I don’t get to the stores so I never check those machines but those are amazing finds. I wonder if they were planted?

No, why? Kids taking from parents, grand parents, I believe

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have yet to find a really notable coin in the coinstar... a few silver Roosevelt dimes...wheaties for sure...lots of Euro's and other foreign coins. I agree with @TomB about such finds likely being pilfered from a collection, since they really are not in circulation. Cheers, RickO

now there in 2*2, in a safe and my kids know better... Thanks @ricko

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@TurtleCat said:

Certainly possible but I’d imagine they would spend them rather than try to get 90c on the $1 in a coin star machine.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@Joe_360 said:

@TurtleCat said:

Certainly possible but I’d imagine they would spend them rather than try to get 90c on the $1 in a coin star machine.

Kids don't know any better, grab a jar and what laying around and run off... Just a theory

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds @Joe_360

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

The seated Liberty was found at a Safeway in Morgan Hill CA
    The Spanish Reale was found at a Lucky's in Pleasanton CA - it was minted in Mexico

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Nice finds. My best find from a Coin Star was a barber dime.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Wow. Nice finds. My best find from a Coin Star was a barber dime.

Mine was a sticky, cough drop with hair. :s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file