Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts, End of World War II 75th Anniversary Silver Medal, low mintage

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintage of only 20,000 and limit of per household - Anniversary WWII - A lot of talk about the upcoming ASE w/V75 *(75,000) but should this be the coin to get with a potential high return as seen in the 30,000 mint reverse SAE?

Thoughts? Thanks Joe

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 7:30AM

While 20,000 is a small limit for coins, that could be considered a rather large mintage for medals.

If the medal achieves a mainstream collect-ability, because coin collectors decide that they have to have it, then it might possibly have potential. I think this will be determined by how the US Mint promotes it, how the TPGs accept/grade them, how dealers include them in sets they sell, and whether collectors deem it a necessary part of the “set”.

One additional consideration is the cost at which it is listed by the Mint. That will impact how many are sold and will impact collectors’ “value analysis”.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a nice medal, and a great memento. However, it is not a coin, so not part of the ASE series, so likely reduce interest. Medal collectors will likely get one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was more curious about the 7,500 mintage on the gold version which instead of a "medal" is labeled as a "coin" with a $25fv. My guess is that it will be viewed mostly as bullion.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    I was more curious about the 7,500 mintage on the gold version which instead of a "medal" is labeled as a "coin" with a $25fv. My guess is that it will be viewed mostly as bullion.

That is an attractive coin. I was thinking of buying one just because I like it. It probably doesn't have any flipping potential and at a half ounce it will cost somewhere around $1300 and I don't like it that much.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a MEDAL vs. the Most Collected and Slabbed coins in History. You can’t compare a 20K mintage of a medal vs. a 30,000 mintage of an ASE...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

A mintage of 20,000 for a medal is huge!

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file