Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Die Markers? Better photo's update

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2020 9:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Are Die Markers an essential proof point on having a certain variety? Is it a 100% final determination? I ask this because I have a quarter (1948s) thinking I have the 1948s/s RPM? However, by looking at the mint mark itself, it doesn't appear I have the RPM. but I do have the "Die Marker!" Can you always depend on the Die Markers? Thanks guy's :)
My coin's Die Marker

Variety Vista's

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are talking about the scratches above the OD your scratches are not an exact match.

Dies may have been polished in a similar fashion and produce similar polish marks, so they may look the same at first glance.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Not a expert in coins or error coins, but I personally don't belive their a match.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that they don’t appear to be an exact match.

Additionally the die scratches that you point out are on the obverse, but the RPM would be on the reverse. There are instances where one die is paired with several other opposing dies, so you can’t always use the die markers on the opposing die to determine the exact variety.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:
    I agree that they don’t appear to be an exact match.

Additionally the die scratches that you point out are on the obverse, but the RPM would be on the reverse. There are instances where one die is paired with several other opposing dies, so you can’t always use the die markers on the opposing die to determine the exact variety.

This

:)

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not look like a match to me..... Keep searching.... As a popular TV program used to say... "They are out there."
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2020 1:49PM

Thanks guy's! My pic can be misleading, though? I think I in fact do have the marker. I'll have to take better pics. Lol.
    The reason why I ask this about die markers is, not only on this 1948s quarter, but on a 1945 Walker I have. Many of you guys may know about my story on this Walker? I sent it in to our Host to try to receive the "missing initials " variety. It came back a normal Walker. Even though I did have many of the "die markers" for that particular variety! Even some of you guys here, pointed that out. Despite the die markers, PCGS wouldn't oblige. :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file