Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stacking Common Date “Junk” Silver Dollars

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

For several years, I have been on the lookout for nice problem free, or somewhat problem free, common date “junk” Morgan and Peace dollars. I try to pay as close to whatever the current going price of these coins are. Earlier in the year, I was paying on average about $18. to $20. a coin. I have slowed down these purchases as of late because the current price is about $23.to $25. I am never in any hurry, and slowly but surely fill up a coin tube with these dollars. When the tube is full, I start another tube, and repeat the process.

Anyone else do this?

Here is my current incomplete tube:

Comments

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes, any time I buy a group of coins from a customer all the common date morgans go in a tube and are put in the stack in the safe.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭

I accumulate some here and there but I like your plan.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did my common Morgan and Peace stacking back when I was paying about $8 a coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I do the same but I don't like to pay above melt for any 90% junk, including dollars. As you can imagine it takes quite awhile for me to complete a roll due to people not regularly selling them at spot. I do find them though, mostly Peace or 21 Morgans. I pass on the slicks also unless the price is just too good to pass up. Keep stacking them.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• LongarmLongarm Posts: 89 ✭✭

I like the common dates and keep an eye out for them in nice condition.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Morgan and Peace dollars (I never call or consider them junk)... and have purchased some back when silver was much lower. Will likely do so again...Cheers, RickO

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

place holder for future contribution

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your plan... the silver dollars are America's original 'silver round' IMO. Neat designs, known quantity of silver, historical... and always in demand.

----- kj
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rubs eyes Wait a minute..
    What's this doing in there?

Collector, occasional seller

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Rubs eyes Wait a minute..
    What's this doing in there?

Sorry, I should have told ya, it's an S mintmark. I think I paid $25. for it. Bought it from a Forum member.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacking silver especially if you thinks it’s going to increase in price is a good idea. I wouldn’t pay much more than melt and I would avoid problem coins. If you have a bunch of problem Morgan’s you’re going to have a more difficult time selling them if you need to raise funds in a flat or declining market.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Stacking silver especially if you thinks it’s going to increase in price is a good idea....

Only if your thinking is correct.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    I did my common Morgan and Peace stacking back when I was paying about $8 a coin.

Smart move on your part. I remember years ago when they were selling common date silver dollars for $6.00 each at the local coin shows. I remember a guy buying all that he could find for that price, and remember him saying "I can't believe these are selling so cheap". Wish I would have loaded up back then. Those were the days!

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool!
    I think the next project I might do is put together a unc. roll of same date,mint common date morgan dollars. Probably do an 1881-S roll first. Would store them in those no-contact plastic coin tubes.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last time I was a collector of Morgan Dollars like that I paid around $3 a piece for them. :o

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

@SaorAlba said:

Smart move on your part. I remember years ago when they were selling common date silver dollars for $6.00 each at the local coin shows. I remember a guy buying all that he could find for that price, and remember him saying "I can't believe these are selling so cheap". Wish I would have loaded up back then. Those were the days!

I picked 1882-CC and 1883-CC dollars from Treasury bags at $6.00 each in the early 1970s!

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a silver stacker, takes a lot of space for the $'s, but if I were I'm not sure that I'd be buying at the current prices.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

A year from now, $25 for a problem-free common date silver dollar might be considered a very astute purchase.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is plenty of downside risk when silver is at $24-25 per troy ounce.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file