Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can you help me with this Morgan dollar

Coincollector85Coincollector85 Posts: 11
edited October 26, 2020 4:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi, I posted this in a Facebook group and people said it was fake and cleaned. I weighed it and the weight checks out. I also put a strong magnet to it and it dosent stick if that helps.

I think this coin looks beautiful in person but want to know why it looks so different from any other Morgan I’ve seen and own. There are lines running across it on the obverse and reverse. It’s a 1878 S.

I just want to know why this looks so different. Was some type of machine used on it or something? Thanks

Comments

• It’s much nicer in person imo..

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's kinda far away to see anything. You gotta remember, we are old and eyes are not as good as they once were. Closer pics would help! 🙂

Ken
  • Coincollector85Coincollector85 Posts: 11
    edited October 26, 2020 4:22PM

I also feel it is a legit Morgan. I’m sure something has been done to it, just don’t know what. Dosent mean I can’t think it’s beautiful. I got this coin from someone as a gift, all my other coins are fine

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 4:00PM

Sadly this coin has been harshly cleaned past the point of no return.
    It still has it's inherent silver value though.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's been worked over with a wire brush.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a cleaning is so harsh that metal is moved, as this one exhibits, we call it wizzed.
    Just a common date fortunately and worth only the silver content. NO PREMIUM to the collector.
    Please do some more reading and studying before you start out buying coins.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 5:05PM

@Coincollector85

it seems you are on the right track. asking the right questions in the right place. pretty decent images as well.

the morgan design is a beautiful one and probably one of the most loved usa coin designs. as other have iterated, someone has severely damaged this coin probably with some type of wire wheel. as a 78-s it would bring over melt, even as-is but not an easy sell. it looks legit to me just to pile onto what other have offered.

oh, and welcome to the forum!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:#

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don’t need the gloves with that one.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real but mercury coated.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Musta been coated with something to cause that much damage. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 6:18PM

Welcome to the forum. I agree with you that it has been sadly abused with a wire wheel or wire brush or like tool. If you like the coin and think it is beautiful then you have such a wonderful experience ahead of you looking at and/or buying PL/DMPL Morgan Dollars. Just buy the book and utilize PCGS's Photograde or other helpful Grading assistance books. Best of luck and always remember different strokes for different folks(Muhammed Ali 11/66).
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :#

:D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coincollector85.... Welcome aboard. Your coin looks as if it had excessive environmental damage or crud on the surface, then severely cleaned, likely with a buffing wheel. That is why it looks 'different'. Numismatic value is melt for the silver in that condition. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file