Home U.S. Coin Forum

2017 P Ozark Quarter - Possible Obverse Die Clash?

Hello Collectors!

This is my first time posting here as I had received answers to another coin I had before my account got approved here. I have been here many times, lurking in the shadows before. o:) So I come before all of you experts to ask for some assistance in identifying what exactly is going on with this quarter, because I can not find any information on any known die clashes for this coin....yet.

If you take a took at Washingtons neck where it meets the hairline, you can see the possible stamping of, what i can piece together to be, the cabin's right side roof and wall, posts, and even some of the bricks and cellar window (to the left) that appear on the reverse side.

Below are the pictures of the 2017 P Ozark Quarter in question. A side by side, followed by some close ups of what I spotted and an enhanced contrast version with some of the areas labeled. Speaking of which, the labels with a "2?" are other possible strikes that i didn't really notice until I turned this version upside down and enhanced the contrast. I tried to keep the upload size small, but bigger pictures can be provided if needed.

I look forward to any and all responses! Thank you so much a head of time for your time!

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a clashed die to me. Nice find.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, die clash. Always like them but generally have no added value to the coin.

• @Oldhoopster said:
    Looks like a clashed die to me. Nice find.

Thank you!

• @TurtleCat said:

Thank you! Tho that does take a little wind out of my sails if im being honest..lol.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a cool find - question, as I just spent the weekend taking a loope to my change jar holdings - /how/ did you find this?

curious if people review every coin that comes along in their pocket change with a scope, or if something stood out with the naked eye that made you look closer

thx for any insight - always looking for better practices so I don't miss possible gems like this

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die clashes get no respect except from people like me. I think they are a neat item, like this "Lone Ranger" clash on a 1913 Var 1 Buffalo 5c.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it’s a die clash. That’s a super cool find!

It may still have some value to a specialized collector, though it might be tough to find that person that is willing to pay much over $5. If it was uncirculated or was more dramatic of an error, the value would be higher.

And btw, welcome to the boards @GrimmerGraphics . Hope you stick around!

• GrimmerGraphicsGrimmerGraphics Posts: 7
    edited October 26, 2020 1:51PM

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    what a cool find - question, as I just spent the weekend taking a loope to my change jar holdings - /how/ did you find this?

curious if people review every coin that comes along in their pocket change with a scope, or if something stood out with the naked eye that made you look closer

thx for any insight - always looking for better practices so I don't miss possible gems like this

LOL. I know exactly how you feel! I got into the hobby a little while ago now and spent countless hours looking through a loupe, many times until my head hurt and i couldnt see straight anymore. I had first started with a loupe bc i didnt know if i was really going to get into it and didnt want to spend too much. After a while, i really got tired of having to go through this to the point where i stopped searching for a little while just to avoid the headaches. I then, however, started missing searching through the coins, so i needed something different. Much to my surprise and delight, i found out that amazon had digital microscopes that hook to your phone via wifi or computer via USB. Some around $20-$30!! Then i searched the deals for the day and found one for $17.99!! Is it the greatest microscope in the world? Absolutely not, but it does what it needs to do for coins (as you can see) AND you can capture the images right to your phone!!! Well worth the investment and i am back to searching my coins, faster than ever, and with NO HEADACHES! haha. GOOD LUCK!

Edit: Spelling for the police

• @koynekwest said:
    Die clashes get no respect except from people like me. I think they are a neat item, like this "Lone Ranger" clash on a 1913 Var 1 Buffalo 5c.

AGREED!! How can some that is out of the ordinary, that wasnt supposed to have been produced that way, making the coin more unique, and a permanent error that may or may not supposed to have been QCed out of existence NOT make it more valuable?

The example you give is a GREAT one! What a cool coin to begin with due to the history, but add that someone accidentally struck it again and ended up with a masked version of the chief AND THAT HAS SURVIVED ALL THIS TIME is suuuuuper interesting. How does that add to the value again?

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GrimmerGraphics said:
    LOL. I know exactly how you feel! I got into the hobby a little while ago now and spent countless hours looking through a loupe, many times until my head hurt and i couldnt see straight anymore. I had first started with a loupe bc i didnt know if i was really going to get into it and didnt want to soend to much. After a while, i really got tired of having to go through this to the point where i stopped searching for a little while just to avoid the headaches. I then, however, started missing searching through the coins, so i needed something different. Much to my surprise and delight, i found out that amazon had digital microscopes that hook to your phone via wifi or computer via USB. Some around $20-$30!! Then i searched the deals for the day and found one for $17.99!! Is it the greatest microscope in the world? Absolutely not, but it does what it needs to do for coins (as you can see) AND you can capture the images right to your phone!!! Well worth the investment and i am back to searching my coins, faster than ever, and with NO HEADACHES! haha. GOOD LUCK!

thanks, Grimmer

• @GoldenEgg said:
    I agree that it’s a die clash. That’s a super cool find!

It may still have some value to a specialized collector, though it might be tough to find that person that is willing to pay much over $5. If it was uncirculated or was more dramatic of an error, the value would be higher.

And btw, welcome to the boards @GrimmerGraphics . Hope you stick around!

Yeah, I can understand that, more dramatic = more $$$. Makes......cents...? Sorry... lol

Thanks for the warm welcome, I plan on being around for a while as I can not seem to stop searching for coins to look at or getting extremely giddy anytime i actually get a handful of change back from the cashier :)

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GrimmerGraphics said:

@TurtleCat said:

Thank you! Tho that does take a little wind out of my sails if im being honest..lol.

There is still plenty of wind...

You noticed the anomaly, took good photos of it, and properly diagnosed what you were seeing.

Keep looking since you are on the right track.

They generally aren't worth much of a premium. But super strong ones like this should have some extra value-

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

wow. that is some serious beveling around the jaw/neck! sparks were flying that day. sheesh.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GrimmerGraphics .... Welcome aboard... Good catch on that die clash...and great pictures. Good luck in your searches... Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    @GrimmerGraphics .... Welcome aboard... Good catch on that die clash...and great pictures. Good luck in your searches... Cheers, RickO

Thanks RickO!

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@koynekwest said:

wow. that is some serious beveling around the jaw/neck! sparks were flying that day. sheesh.

Note how the clash extends into some of the design elements. These are the sunken areas on the die. How this can happen I don't know but it DOES happen. I have an image of a clashed proof Lincoln cent that I will post once I find it.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Note how the clash extends into some of the design elements. These are the sunken areas on the die. How this can happen I don't know but it DOES happen. I have an image of a clashed proof Lincoln cent that I will post once I find it.

after all the may clashed coins and dies i've seen, i still hold out a bit that there may have been some episodes of clashing or weird hub/die processes that produced some of the odd clashing. one thing we know for a fact, the dies cannot beat physics. one die cannot bend down into a sunken part of another die, even if they are beveled a bit.

your buffalo is a perfect example. that eye clash comes across a "sloping" part of the die.

rogerb's research project has turned up invaluable information about numismatics across the board, including but not limited to citizens sending coins in for stuff we actively seek out these days (cuds, clashes, ddo etc) . some people liked it, some didn't. perhaps one day if it hasn't already been posted by him, some mint employees will make commentary about pre-coin striking events that happened to hubs/dies etc.

glad you posted both coins!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Here's the proof Lincoln I promised. Die clashes this strong on proofs are very unusual.

Thanks, Lance! I guess some strange, counter-intuitive things can happen when they occur during the high pressure of the strike.

You have a good eye, GrimmerGraphics! Keep lookin'-you'll come up with some good ones, I'm sure. The three cent nickels would be a good source for them. And check the Buffalos-quite a few dates can be found with the Lone Ranger clash.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch

• @GrimmerGraphics said:
    Hello Collectors!

This is my first time posting here as I had received answers to another coin I had before my account got approved here. I have been here many times, lurking in the shadows before. o:) So I come before all of you experts to ask for some assistance in identifying what exactly is going on with this quarter, because I can not find any information on any known die clashes for this coin....yet.

If you take a took at Washingtons neck where it meets the hairline, you can see the possible stamping of, what i can piece together to be, the cabin's right side roof and wall, posts, and even some of the bricks and cellar window (to the left) that appear on the reverse side.

Below are the pictures of the 2017 P Ozark Quarter in question. A side by side, followed by some close ups of what I spotted and an enhanced contrast version with some of the areas labeled. Speaking of which, the labels with a "2?" are other possible strikes that i didn't really notice until I turned this version upside down and enhanced the contrast. I tried to keep the upload size small, but bigger pictures can be provided if needed.

I look forward to any and all responses! Thank you so much a head of time for your time!

I to have a 2017P Ozark Riverways quarter with a obverse die clash. Exactly like yours. That makes 2 so if we get em attributed they be a variety

• I forgot you can email me at redmondj5977@gmail.com

• We
    Sho
    We should get these attributed ASAP...

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Johnred said:
    I forgot you can email me at redmondj5977@gmail.com

Good luck.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

They be.... in different locations.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some neat examples!

----- kj
  • CregCreg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Some neat examples!

Something different to look for in the rolls—might be a dramatic one out there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file