Home Sports Talk
Options

Should the Patriots extend Cam?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cam Newton started the year on fire, but since the first 2 games he has performed quite poorly, culminating with being benched for the end of yesterdays game.

It seemed at the start of the season, Bill had found Toms replacement in Cam. but now I am wondering if the first 2 games were an aberration and we are now seeing the real Cam coming out? I realize he does not have many weapons to work with as well.

If I am the GM, I let this thing play out a bit more before I commit years and millions of the future to Cam.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in North Carolina and I've watched Cam for years with the Panthers. I'm not surprised at all, he's a Jekyll and Hyde type. One week, he can have a decent game, and the next week he'll stink it up. He's just not consistent. You never know what you're going to get from him week to week.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I anticipated an off season extension only if we had success. Afaik, Cam hurt his hand in Denver. Did that impact yesterday? I don't know. But an extension is not imminent.

• Options

The other part of the equation is the draft. BB doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who will tank to get a higher draft position. Sure would be nice to have a Trevor Lawrence type on the roster

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 6:35AM

Lmao. Are you kidding even asking that question? I’m going to repeat myself one last time. There is a reason 30 teams passed on Cam Newton. There is a reason the Patriots waiting until the last minute to sign him. BB realized Stidham wasn’t the answer. There is a reason they signed Cam for a Happy Meal and $50 Walmart gift card. His done, put a fork in him. Carolina realized it and so did everyone else. Done, over, finish. So finished his next position is with a mask and handing out paper bags at the drive through. Finished. Last hurrah. Bye. Over. See ya.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    The other part of the equation is the draft. BB doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who will tank to get a higher draft position. Sure would be nice to have a Trevor Lawrence type on the roster

bill can't draft! what would be the point? He would have to prove he was smarter than the entire league and not select Lawrence anyway

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

bill can't draft! what would be the point? He would have to prove he was smarter than the entire league and not select Lawrence anyway

you have a great point there! see drafting harry over metcalf last year.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Lmao. Are you kidding even asking that question? I’m going to repeat myself one last time. There is a reason 30 teams passed on Cam Newton. There is a reason the Patriots waiting until the last minute to sign him. BB realized Stidham wasn’t the answer. There is a reason they signed Cam for a Happy Meal and $50 Walmart gift card. His done, put a fork in him. Carolina realized it and so did everyone else. Done, over, finish. So finished his next position is with a mask and handing out paper bags at the drive through. Finished. Last hurrah. Bye. Over. See ya.

He caused me a lot of agony in Carolina with his bonehead decision making. I figured it was only a matter of time before he started screwing up. Watching him play in Carolina was nerve racking. You had to hold your breathe every time he threw the ball.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭

I watched the Patriots every year since they started but hav watched a game this year and will not. I was upset when they would not give Brady receivers to match his abilities for years and then gave up on him at the end. He was the Patriots as far as I was concerned.. Quarterback of his calibre are few and far between.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

big time egos clash and this is what you get.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resign Cam? Why would they do that?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    big time egos clash and this is what you get.

I will agree that both Bill and Tom both probably had some serious hidden animosity’s towards each other regarding who was more responsible for the Patriots success. The marriage had to end eventually

• Options
    edited November 2, 2020 5:19AM

The bottom line is Bills Ego is exactly why the Patriots are in the situation they are in right now.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The bottom line is Bills Ego is exactly why the Patriots are in the situation they are in right now.

I think i am starting to agree perk. thinking back, we really should have 7 rings already had BB not sat Butler during the SB 3 years ago. That one really sticks in my craw. I still have never heard to true story behind it other than butler broke a team rule.

• Options

Cam is looking really bad. after 20 years of Brady, this type of accuracy is foreign to me

• Options

blaming Cam is just a way of excusing Bill. Cam is a fig leaf ................ One might even say a fig newton for bill to hide behind :p

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

I think i am starting to agree perk. thinking back, we really should have 7 rings already had BB not sat Butler during the SB 3 years ago. That one really sticks in my craw. I still have never heard to true story behind it other than butler broke a team rule.

I been saying it for years. I’m 100% looking forward to him retiring at this point

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

I been saying it for years. I’m 100% looking forward to him retiring at this point

I might be being obtuse, but I still expect a bunch of good years under Bill. Even if it's only because his ego is forcing him to get the coaching record.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2020 3:46PM

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

The most accepted reasoning I've ever heard was that Butler punched/attacked/ put hands on Steve Belichick and that it possibly stemmed from Butler sleeping with a Belichick female.

Edit to add: By accepted I mean accepted by majority of people I ask about it.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

The most accepted reasoning I've ever heard was that Butler punched/attacked/ put hands on Steve Belichick and that it possibly stemmed from Butler sleeping with a Belichick female.

Most fights are money or women or a defender poking your teammates in the eye. 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭

I really don't care what they do at this point. I'm over football!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

I honestly never heard this one. do you have any more details on it?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

Local sports talk radio at the time hinted that the Butler-Steve Belichick altercation happened after Butler came back late for curfew while he was high. You’re the first that i’ve heard mentioning the Belichick female angle.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

Local sports talk radio at the time hinted that the Butler-Steve Belichick altercation happened after Butler came back late for curfew while he was high. You’re the first that i’ve heard mentioning the Belichick female angle.

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

I've also heard the curfew thing, that they sent Steve to talk to him and it got physical. I've talked to people who anecdotally mentioned the other theory. I just googled it, and you can find people discussing it.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

I've also heard the curfew thing, that they sent Steve to talk to him and it got physical. I've talked to people who anecdotally mentioned the other theory. I just googled it, and you can find people discussing it.

Honestly the only mentions of Butler sleeping with a Belichick in the google search I did came up one comment board and reddit,I think that one is pretty far fetched. Not that the theory that mentioned above is a lock either,IIRC I think it was Christian Fauria that I had been listening too.
    Either way I doubt we ever hear the actual truth.

On a side note,NY’s defense is keeping the Bucs offense in check so far. TB needs to get going in the 2nd half.

• Options

Maybe if Malcolm ever writes a tell all book.

There was always a piece of the story that Bill didn't say what happened out of consideration for Butler's reputation as he sought a deal from a different team. Is that true? Idk

• Options

Well regardless of what happened that night he’ll always be a hero here in NE after he stole a SB win. ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Well regardless of what happened that night he’ll always be a hero here in NE after he stole a SB win. ;)

And if Seattle runs Lynch up the middle we’d all be asking why BB didn’t call time out to leave Brady time to mount a comeback.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I my best friend has an inside source within the Patriots organization- ( And it is 100% legit, I’ve met the person as well- ) the Butler incident is 100% FACT that Butler was high and missed a curfew. That is the story and it’s absolutely what happened. The fact that Bill made the entire team suffer over it shows how ignorant he really is. The way to handle it was to fine him big money or cut him after the Super Bowl. His replacement was getting torched the entire game and Bill didn’t care. I absolutely hold Bill accountable for that loss.

• Options

if malcom slept with a bellichek is the truth then maybe it was Bill?

to be that butthurt about it it almost would have to be

malcom moved on and bill couldn't take it

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I my best friend has an inside source within the Patriots organization- ( And it is 100% legit, I’ve met the person as well- ) the Butler incident is 100% FACT that Butler was high and missed a curfew. That is the story and it’s absolutely what happened. The fact that Bill made the entire team suffer over it shows how ignorant he really is. The way to handle it was to fine him

Thanks for clearing that up Perk. I have wondered and been aggravated about that loss for 3 years. Butler was an idiot for doing it, but to punish the whole team... what a terrible move by BB. A move totally made by hubris. You are absolutely correct, that loss is on BB. so ignorant and stupid.

I have to say, I was (and honestly, still am) heartbroken that they didnt go 19-0 back in 2007. But at least that was decided by players on the field. the eagles loss was an ignorant pompous personal decision. arggghhh

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Malcolm Butler is always and forever a NE hero. What a moment. A lot of work from different people during the season went into executing that defensive play, as seen in the documentary. And very special thanks to Browner, in my opinion.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2020 6:56PM

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

And if Seattle runs Lynch up the middle we’d all be asking why BB didn’t call time out to leave Brady time to mount a comeback.

That was a genius Belichick moment. He has taken a lot of risks, and he has the skins on the wall to take one there.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I my best friend has an inside source within the Patriots organization- ( And it is 100% legit, I’ve met the person as well- ) the Butler incident is 100% FACT that Butler was high and missed a curfew. That is the story and it’s absolutely what happened. The fact that Bill made the entire team suffer over it shows how ignorant he really is. The way to handle it was to fine him big money or cut him after the Super Bowl. His replacement was getting torched the entire game and Bill didn’t care. I absolutely hold Bill accountable for that loss.

This was the theory that held the most weight for me, but I've always heard it in conjunction with Butler getting physical with Steve. That is the only way I could ever see it justified to sit him. Not that there is really any way to justify it. It cost us the game.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

One actually happened,the other didn’t. It was a pretty gutsy call on BB’s part and it paid off.