Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Liberty Set

Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 25, 2020 7:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have been working on a common date lusterous gold liberty set. I need a $20 still then maybe onto indians. Hard to pull the trigger right now with the spot prices of gold...

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 8:05PM

Good progress. Nice pickups. ⭐️

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 9:07PM

Go for the 1904 $20 Lib MS62 or MS63 to keep your cost down.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Nice!

:):)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice gold coins.... Once complete, I would want to put them in a capital holder, black background. Not saying you should, certainly more value in the slabs with beans. Just how I would want to see them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited October 26, 2020 5:09AM

@ricko said:
    Those are very nice gold coins.... Once complete, I would want to put them in a capital holder, black background. Not saying you should, certainly more value in the slabs with beans. Just how I would want to see them. Cheers, RickO

You and I agree about 99.5% of the time, but to remove from the slabs which protect them from accidental and environmental damage, and as you point out to remove the CAC stickers which will reduce value and EASE of SALE, to gain the visibilty advantage of a nice Capital holder, to me makes no sense. So with that visibilty, will the owner display it in their home for others, including workmen to see to increase the risk of a breakin?

About 10 years ago I did just that with the beginnings of my Type Set, figuring I'd save the certs to automatically get PCGS to assign the same grade down the road, and to have CAC automatically reapply their stickers. I woke up from dreamland and while i did OK overall when resubmitting, it's something i would strongly discourage others from doing, particularly with CAC'd gold coins. Gold is so VERY difficult to succeed with CAC's.

EDIT - After rereading your post, i now realize that you are clearly NOT advocating for that action, but just commenting how nice the coins would indeed look in a black Capital holder. I agree (so now we agree 99.6% of the time).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven ... I do not disagree.... Just musing about how I would like to see that set... I do not worry about break ins or display for others.... Fundamentally, you are correct though... chance of damage, loss of value and or cost of reslabbing. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @winesteven ... I do not disagree.... Just musing about how I would like to see that set... I do not worry about break ins or display for others.... Fundamentally, you are correct though... chance of damage, loss of value and or cost of reslabbing. Cheers, RickO

See my edit above, created as you were sending this comment.

Steve

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au Contraire! I would be looking for the best date I could find for the same price. As the price of gold goes up, better dates loose their premium and become available for basically the same price.

@winesteven said:

• Options
    edited October 26, 2020 5:26AM

@amwldcoin said:
    Au Contraire! I would be looking for the best date I could find for the same price. As the price of gold goes up, better dates loose their premium and become available for basically the same price.

@winesteven said:

If indeed that's the case, I agree. However, the OP is already very concerned about pricing due to the amount of gold in the Double Eagle, and all his coins have CAC's. Since CAC's are tough to get on gold coins (as a % of those in the grade), a true price similarity to a 1904 with a CAC for a tougher date with a CAC may not be possible.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good looking old gold!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set so far! Keep it up!
    You may have no choice but to move on to the Indians if you are bitten by the gold bug. It’s an affliction many of us are stricken with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file