Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Counterfeit Peace Dollar for the Collection

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

My buddy @shortnock acquired this counterfeit 1922 Peace dollar yesterday, mixed in with a bunch of dollars one of the local dealers picked up. He gave it to me today, knowing I collect counterfeits. In looking at the rays and lettering it appears they used the reverse from a 1921. It has a lot of manual touch-up of the letters on both the obverse and reverse, and I noticed while photographing it that the second 2 has obviously been added to a '192' dated die. That makes me think it might be modern Chinese, but it does show wear and signs of age, as well as damage. Weight is 25.3 grams and it is non-magnetic. Has anyone seen this particular counterfeit before?

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Sure wish it was the real deal. Nice photos.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has to be a rarity in its own right. I, for one, have never seen a counterfeit Peace dollar.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find.... Yes, a counterfeit.... Have it checked for metal content...probably not silver, maybe pot metal. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    That has to be a rarity in its own right. I, for one, have never seen a counterfeit Peace dollar.

Here's another:

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick posted this one on another thread. It appears to be another counterfeit 1922 peace dollar with the normal business strike obverse of 1922 paired with the high relief reverse of 1921. It appears to have some different die markers, however, so perhaps it was not made by the same person.

@braddick said:
    I purchased an odd 1922 Peace dollar awhile back and didn't give it much thought. Now after viewing this thread I found it and it gives me pause.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the coins posted so far in this tread look like modern Chinese production to me. They have been artificially antiquing these for some time now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file