Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

these are a few of the coins i was thinking of getting graded... i have quite a few m

CamerajkCamerajk Posts: 30
edited October 24, 2020 1:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice

I would skip the 1893 Columbian half and the 1878 half looks polished/cleaned

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice assortment of coins.
    I'd pass on spending grading fees on the Columbian half and the 1923 Peace dollar.
    A few of your coins (like the Seated half) will likely come back in genuine only holders.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too many coins to comment on individually. Some may be worth slabbing but many are not. It is an economic decision based on the cost of slabbing versus the value of the individual coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Btw the 1878 half was in hard plastic holder and it did have some marks.....

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 2:02PM

You might read otherwise, yet I find all uncirculated CC dollars are worth grading. Raw vs Graded will cover the fees and you might get lucky with an MS64/65.

• Options

Should i get the gold coins graded???

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think any of them are worth spending the grading fees on. I would like to see them in hand before I pass judgement. But the few in the group that are worth the fees appear to be cleaned from the pictures.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 2:11PM

@abcde12345 said:
    I'd pass on spending grading fees on the Columbian half and the 1923 Peace dollar.

That's a 1928 Peace, worth considerably more than a '23.

Good advice above. Spend some time with Coinfacts and Photograde to get an idea of value. Then figure out which are worth grading.

Some will not straight-grade due to problems like improper cleaning.
    Lance.

edit to add: Some show signs of significant PVC, like the 2nd 84-CC Morgan. An acetone dip is safe and advised.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 3:46PM

You have some valuable coins there but the more expensive ones have no spread in value at the likely grades (and a few others are cleaned and won’t straight grade anyway) so there’s not much upside to getting them graded. I would save your money. For example a gold coin like the ones you have is basically going to sell for melt at any grade up to MS63.

• Options

I know my grandfather put PRF on the 1878 half

• Options
    1. Thanks for catching that. Definitely worth getting graded.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you think they would grade?

Many of the ones that I expect folks might believe are MS are actually AU and others appear hairlined up enough to get a "cleaned" designation. Do the coins have value? Yes. Are they "worth" grading? Not all of them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum .

Unfortunately you will likely be disappointed if you submit these for the following reasons... 1. several of these coins will not straight grade; and 2. The cost associated with grading will not be recovered so it is just not economical to do so.

If you plan to keep these coins and add to your grandfather's collection, consider looking at other coins in hand which is problematic given the current environment or look at images and try to develop an eye for grading and the expectations that are important. Signs of cleaning are evidenced by hairlines, lustre impairment and an overall unnatural look that really negatively impact the value of a coin as well as its desirability. Best wishes with your collecting efforts.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few I'd pass on sending in but to maximize value a lot of them need to be in holders to have an actual grade/value and verified authenticity.

That said many can be an economy submission.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

My question is, are you planning on resale or holding on because they are family treasures?
    Either way the gold coins should be graded. That will ensure authenticity on those that
    do slab. Even if they "detail" the question of authenticity is answered. I'm not sure what
    it costs to "slab" coins these days, but if you are planning to keep to pass to future generations
    then the "plastic" is well worth the cost to protect from future damage. Sure wouldn't want
    finger prints for the future or that matter future cleaning.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of those are worth getting graded for sure.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that die clash on the 1908 Indian quarter eagle. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Camerajk.... Welcome aboard.... and interesting group of coins. Most are not worth grading.... I suggest you spend some time learning about them... get a Redbook and study the grading, look at each coins value. Check out the cost of grading. Consult, if you can, with a knowledgeable coin dealer/collector. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don't you pick two, grade them, go through the whole experience and see what your results are. Slabs do offer protection and storage ease...although cleaned coins are very disappointing to get back. Look closer for hairline cleaning lines. Good luck and post your results!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 4:58AM

Nice coins

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several nice looking coins you have there. The 1878 seated half does look like a proof and the 1854 large cent looks MS64ish. Don't submit the columbian half, looks AU58-MS62

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you planning on selling in the next three or four years? If not, there’s not much reason to consider paying for grading. Many/most of these would not straight grade. Many have been cleaned and most aren’t in a condition that would justify the cost.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Are you planning on selling in the next three or four years? If not, there’s not much reason to consider paying for grading. Many/most of these would not straight grade. Many have been cleaned and most aren’t in a condition that would justify the cost.

I agree. Very few of the coins look as if they merit grading.

I suggest that you try to locate a trustworthy dealer in your area who can review them for you. Feel free to send me your zip code by private message or post it here. Someone can hopefully help you locate a dealer.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t spend money on grading these. You have some nice coins for sure, but only a few where grading would add value.

The best two to grade would probably be the 1878 half dollars (looks to be a proof with a details grade for altered surfaces) and the large cent (looks MS).

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coins...couple of cleaned ones though.

• Options

@jclovescoins said:
    I wouldn’t spend money on grading these. You have some nice coins for sure, but only a few where grading would add value.

The best two to grade would probably be the 1878 half dollars (looks to be a proof with a details grade for altered surfaces) and the large cent (looks MS).

At least two posters have now mentioned the Large Cent as a grading candidate. It could be the lighting, but the color doesn’t look original to me. My guess is that it’s been cleaned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Good luck with those you choose to submit. As others have mentioned, many look to have issues that would prevent them from straight grading (i.e. in a "not gradable" holder).

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Camerajk said:

Yes absolutely. Even if they don’t grade out with a number you can get them with a genuine label. That’ll help if you decide to sell.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:

@Camerajk said:

Yes absolutely. Even if they don’t grade out with a number you can get them with a genuine label. That’ll help if you decide to sell.

Plenty of buyers would pay very close to the same amount for most of the gold coins, without them being graded first.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Nice score on that half!

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great results in my opinion.

Trade $'s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list