Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading

What grading company do ppl recommend? I was looking at PCGS... Also I am not completely sure which coins I should get graded.... Have various dated Morgan’s p,s,o,cc .... some AU :$1, 2.5,5,10, and a 20 some large cents, 1839 Columbian expo .(various mint sets)..
I do know if the coins get good grades it can increase the value significantly....

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

We could give you much better advise with some photos of the coins you are thinking you would like to submit. ;)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS and NGC are generally considered the top tier. Many people like ANACS and ICG for various reasons.

Pictures saws the best way for us to help you. The gold might be the best to submit to ensure they aren’t counterfeit or messed with. That will make it more sellable.

In any case don’t clean anything and let us know the dates and mints with pics if possible.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really depends on what you have to sell. For high end collector coins, PCGS tends to be the best followed by NGC (resale value wise). If you have damaged gold that needs to be authenticated to move, ANACS might work.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    It really depends on what you have to sell. For high end collector coins, PCGS tends to be the best followed by NGC (resale value wise). If you have damaged gold that needs to be authenticated to move, ANACS might work.

The use of ANACS for authentication of the gold coins is a good idea. Most of your gold coins seem to be either very common dates or have some problem such as cleaning. Still, because of the many counterfeits floating around getting them authenticated (especially the $1 gold) would probably improve their marketablility.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw your picture thread before this.... Good advice there... Good luck and come back and let us know what you do and the results. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file