Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Perusing some Stack's lots and found this one to be super-interesting.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few of the individual George Lovett 1876 "Battle Series" So-Called Dollars for sale in November at Stack's in various planchet types, Bronze-Silver-White Metal. It's odd to see one of these so it's nice for collectors when a number of them come up together, maybe an opportunity to fill in a hole if you collect them. Let's face it, every US coin collector should probably have some kind of George Washington Exonumia to call their own.

For those who aren't familiar with this eight piece series of medals from 1876, they commemorate important Battles from 1776 of the American Revolutionary War. All share a common obverse with reverses naming the Battle represented, the date it was fought and the number 1-8 in the series. They were struck to coincide with the 1876 Centennial celebration held in Philadelphia.

While I was looking at them in sequence suddenly I came to two lots after the individual medals which were for complete sets with the original fitted case, pretty cool to see. The set that struck me was a post-strike Bronzed White Metal Set. I thought I would show one medal, the case and supply a link to the auction. Exonumia like this doesn't come along often.

Enjoy.

Al H.

Stack's link --- https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-OPNAH/circa-1876-battle-series-by-george-h-lovett-a-complete-set-of-eight-in-bronzed-white-metal

Here's the case which is actually from a different complete set than the one linked.

Here's one of the Bronzed White Metal examples.

Comments

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My ears just perked up but my wallet didn't.
    Thanks Al!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful medal and by all accounts likely very rare.

I have way too many irons in the fire, right now.

Maybe someday......

Thanks for sharing, though. :)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great So-Called Dollars by George H. Lovett! They would go well in any SCD, Lovett, or Washingtonia collection!

It's really amazing to see this potentially unique collection.

This has the E Pluribus Unum Collection provenance. Anyone have info on this collection?

• Options

@Raybo said:
    My ears just perked up but my wallet didn't.
    Thanks Al!

Come on! I know you can do $1!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the estimate on a lot like this? They are super cool, but I have no idea on SCD.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set indeed....Interesting that five of the battles were in New York....A lot of history in this state. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like them more if there was some kind of depiction of the battle on the reverse that would provide some visual interest from one medal to the next.

Thanks for highlighting this auction.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like them more if there was some kind of depiction of the battle on the reverse that would provide some visual interest from one medal to the next.

this is a good point and why I don't collect them even though they are both interesting to me and historically significant. if the reverses remained the same with some sort of Battle site obverse, well, I'd be all over 'em like a cheap suit!! :p

What's the estimate on a lot like this?

though I really have no idea based on prior sales history, I suspect that each set will sell between $5-10k with the "original box" set closer to $10k. Zoins or some of the other SC$ collectors may have a more realistic estimate.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stack's sold a similar white metal set with original case in 2014 for $2585. That's a non-absurd price estimate. Individual white metal examples often sell in the $300 range. If things get absurd, who knows.

Bronze examples ought to sell for more, and silver for more yet. If things stay rational, anyway. Presidential sold a silver set (as individual lots) in 2008; Goldberg, Stacks, and Presidential sold individual examples since then.

FWIW, Dave Baldwin has a much nicer white metal set pictured on his site (about 2/3 down the page).

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 8:21PM

It's very impressive that E. Pluribus Unum has these in silver, bronze, white metal and bronzed white metal.I’m curious to see how these do and where these will end up. From what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t consider Garrett or E. Pluribus Unum to be So-Called Dollar collectors. Baldwin is also more of a Lovett collector than a SCD collector.

• Options

I picked up my set in a private sale in 2008; this was originally in the Stanley Scott Collection. All the medals are pristine prooflike pieces but the best thing about it is the condition of the case.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lovettcollector said:
    I picked up my set in a private sale in 2008; this was originally in the Stanley Scott Collection. All the medals are pristine prooflike pieces but the best thing about it is the condition of the case.

pictures!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing

• Options

@lovettcollector said:

Welcome to our corner of the Internet!

That sounds like a great pick up. Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file