Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Playing with new cellphone & camera: "Liberty Walking on Water at Sunset"

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took this with my unsteady hand and my new cellphone camera...the lighting was 9' above in the can lighting for the room...at about midnight last night...1 light, unsteady hand, but I still like it.....coin was removed from one of those cardboard display holders where it had sat for awhile (went in blast white out of a tube...and sat there for awhile).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

I have a rather unsteady hand, and I like to use my phone to take coin pics, so I have found that it helps to put my phone on top of something the appropriate height, like a box, etc, and have it hang off the edge enough and safely by itself. Then I can just tap the phone to get my pic without any hand shake.

Hope that helps you or anyone else!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 10:13AM

Did you store that by the water heater?
    Wild guess....

I always love the blues and purples on the ASEs

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one sure toned up nice!

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 6:53PM

To answer some questions....

• These are so reactive that I have seen them start toning in under 6 months (not to this degree but starting around the rims when in these holders and exposed to air)
    • I had one in a holder, exposed to air, at my last house....over a heat vent. It toned ugly ugly brown. I had the vents cleaned immediately after noticing that. They WERE filthy.
    • Nope...not near water heater or any heat source. In an open "display" closet....wood shelves. 20+ year old house/wood shelving.
    • Thanks for advice on the shooting of pics...in this case, all my stuff is put away since I haven't taken coin pics in years (not since lasik was done) and this was spur of the moment as I was looking for something else on my coin book shelf and saw a few raw SAEs I had in these holders. The shots weren't done for selling or really showing off...just spur of the moment to test the camera....I liked how it looked though, so I thought I would share.
    • These cardboard holders are common...on ebay and in coin shops/online. That's where I got mine...bought a few, as I do hand out SAEs as gifts once in awhile, when I stopped doing customer holders for gifts...was cheaper/quicker/easier to just buy these 10 at a time to hand out occasionally. Gil - you live in the same area basically....yours would tone very similar I think...depending on the holder. There is something about the holders that DOES make a difference...I tried displaying in a few different ones and have noticed a few things.

Also a note: I have 2 SAE albums.... one is an "intercept shield" and the other is a dansco. The most toning that the SAEs have done in those is either nothing or a slight rim toning. Those are NOT exposed to air and NOT with the cardboard like these holders. They ARE stored in the same area though....the coin book shelf.

End of the day, I like how this one, and some of the others have toned. Tempting to get another Dansco and putting them in there and have a "toned" and a "white" album. Nothing was ever added/applied/done to these other than numismatic holders, so I am ok with that.
    Also, there are a couple that haven't toned as nicely....so it is interesting, for me, to note what may be the differences, since they ARE next to each other. Without meaning to, I've learned a bit about the reactivity and toning of SAEs.

It's also been fun watching the toning progression on these....colors, how they change at certain points, how they travel across the coins, impact on obv/rev......

Would have been nicer if I had taken daily pics from the same standpoint/angle on these, for, say, a year or two, but I didn't think ahead and I don't think I have THAT type of discipline.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice pics!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of phone did you buy? I just got bamboozled into buying an I phone 12 Pro at my phone store today. Don't know if I can or will transition...but the cameras in these new phones are supposed to be crazy good. No I haven't tried it yet.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 8:05PM

in the can, at midnight, unsteady hand ... Wait .... what??

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    What kind of phone did you buy? I just got bamboozled into buying an I phone 12 Pro at my phone store today. Don't know if I can or will transition...but the cameras in these new phones are supposed to be crazy good. No I haven't tried it yet.

Samsung s20+

Unlocked, new, on ebay for $620ish.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours reminded me of this one "walking in the rain". Sold it a few years ago.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 2:04PM

I have to say. Going from my I-Phone 6 S to this I-Phone 12 Pro is like trading in a VW for a Mercedes! And that's before I even try the camera!

@Bochiman said:

@amwldcoin said:

Samsung s20+

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular! That's a keeper!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    I always love the blues and purples...

Me too!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

A striking sunrise or sunset depending on your location.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 2:09PM

GREAT POST Bochiman. Not only is your ASE gorgeous, you shared your technique and your photographic technique. But I find my coins in cardboard for well over 50 years here in Colorado have not developed ANY toning.

Any plans to submit to our hosts for garding?

OINK

• Options
    edited October 26, 2020 4:46PM

I am sitting here playing with my new phone while on a 5G network. It’s all it’s cracked up to be. It’s fast as lightning!

@amwldcoin said:
    I have to say. Going from my I-Phone 6 S to this I-Phone 12 Pro is like trading in a VW for a Mercedes! And that's before I even try the camera!

@Bochiman said:

@amwldcoin said:

Samsung s20+

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 4:41PM

Looks real nice Bochiman! This is what happened to mine sitting in a storage building for about 2 years with the rest of our stuff. Lol It was in a manila envelope in a box with my other coins. The first pic I took in Mar. 2018. I just threw it back in the envelope and finally took it out in Aug 2018 which is the 2nd pic. It was going too far. Lol

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    GREAT POST Bochiman. Not only is your ASE gorgeous, you shared your technique and your photographic technique. But I find my coins in cardboard for well over 50 years here in Colorado have not developed ANY toning.

Any plans to submit to our hosts for garding?

OINK

Thanks.
    I haven't re-upped my membership since I got lasik (doing photos/coins slowed down at that time) so, no, no plans to submit. I do have some from before that (toned SAEs) that were submitted prior to my lasik. I sold off about half of them and kept the rest (just over half dozen).

Note: Coins in the same setting/area (where my coinbooks are) have NOT toned...only the SAEs....and I think that is because of their purity as well as the holders....I have some of the old Wayte Raymond pages....and the walkers, franklins, and a few others, have NOT toned at all in the last 5+ years in them. So, again, that leads me to the reason for the SAEs toning so quickly like that being their purity.

I've given a few out as presents (found out one didn't make it though)....and may dispose of a couple that I have now as well...or may just get another holder and start a "toned SAE" set....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file