Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is the 2019 Pride of two Nations silver proof coin set overlooked?

I’m a novice collector. Last year I purchased the Pride of Two nations set which had a ASE W enhanced reverse proof and a special finish silver maple leaf in the set. I paid about $140 and you can still pick them up for a slight premium over issue price. Mintage was 100,000. The coin is identical to the 2019 S ASE ERP that drove so many people crazy and the maple leaf is equally impressive. How come this set can’t get any respect. Just curious, thx

Answers

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Difference in mintage.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of coin collecting @Orlena.

While @privatecoin is dead on with the mintage answer, I feel the Pride set is also undervalued. I purchase 15 sets from the US Mint when they were release and as you mentioned, they really never found a niche and certainly did not increase in value (yet).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena... Welcome aboard.... I also expected that set to do a lot better. It received a lot of pre-issue press and I figured the after market would be strong. So I guess the mintage did affect it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    I’m a novice collector. Last year I purchased the Pride of Two nations set which had a ASE W enhanced reverse proof and a special finish silver maple leaf in the set. I paid about $140 and you can still pick them up for a slight premium over issue price. Mintage was 100,000. The coin is identical to the 2019 S ASE ERP that drove so many people crazy and the maple leaf is equally impressive. How come this set can’t get any respect. Just curious, thx

The coin is NOT identical to the 2019 S American Silver Eagle.

Apples to Oranges...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 5:07AM

@privatecoin said:
    Difference in mintage.

Agree.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are far too many new issues from the mint. The buying public is burned out unless they sense that a particular issue will be able to turn a VERY quick profit. This issue has come and gone and is now on the way to being forgotten.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do also feel it is undervalued. I believe the 2019S ERP shadowed it from becoming more popular.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a set. I just found them interesting.

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

I got one direct from the mint, and just looked up the price. A little surprised no premium.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up the Canada version and a few 70 sets of that issue

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liked the ERP enough to go out and get a set.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinPhysicist said:
    Obviously the reason it is overlooked is because I still have 4 sets sitting in a mint sealed box in my closet. If I give away the sets tomorrow all of a suddenly people will care about them.

I still have one too...

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, one of the eagles is a "W" with a 100,000 mintage and one is an "S" mint with just under 30,000 mintage...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file