Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

more mintage limit madness from the mint

ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

images, mintage & product limits released today for the mayflower gold / silver coins / medals - all except for the gold reverse proof coin

notice the tbd

but in the item description, near the end ... 👀

its like the wild west over there at the mint 🤠

Comments

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

The only "madness" is thinking that they will actually sell 10,000!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

It won’t be the lowest so will it matter in the long run?

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should say “mintage will be 10,000, unless they are popular and then management reserves the right to make more”

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin, though I do not think the offering will crash the Mint's website.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say the one thing that is “beautiful“ in that set is the certificate of authenticity.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2020 6:50AM

The UK coin is a lot simpler. It has a much more iconic design in my opinion but teaches less history.

The US coin teaches that the Patuxet Indians lived in Plymouth where the Pilgrims landed. Seeing Patuxet on one side, I almost expect to see "English" on the other to be balanced.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 3:02AM

Wow, I'm glad the US coin mentions the Patuxet, but the coin may be misleading. The coin shows a man, woman and girl, but Wikipedia seems to indicate only 1 Patuxet was left when the Pilgrims arrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patuxet

The Patuxet were a Native American band of the Wampanoag tribal confederation. They lived primarily in and around modern-day Plymouth, Massachusetts. The Patuxet have been extinct since 1622.

The Patuxet were wiped out by a series of plagues that decimated the indigenous peoples of southeastern New England in the second decade of the 17th century. The epidemics which swept across New England and the Canadian Maritimes between 1614 and 1620 were especially devastating to the Wampanoag and neighboring Massachuset, with mortality reaching 100% in many mainland villages. When the Pilgrims landed in 1620, all the Patuxet except Squanto had died. The plagues have been attributed variously to smallpox, leptospirosis, and other diseases.

Some European expedition captains were known to increase profits by capturing natives to sell as slaves. Such was the case when Thomas Hunt kidnapped several Wampanoag in 1614 in order to sell them later in Spain. One of Hunt's captives was a Patuxet named Tisquantum. Tisquantum eventually came to be known as Squanto (a nickname given to him by his friend William Bradford). After Squanto regained his freedom, he was able to work his way to England where he lived for several years, working with a shipbuilder.

He signed on as an interpreter for a British expedition to Newfoundland. From there Squanto went back to his home, only to discover that, in his absence, epidemics had killed everyone in his village.

Squanto succumbed to "Indian fever" in November 1622.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squanto#Plymouth_Colony

Squanto was kidnapped by English explorer Thomas Hunt who carried him to Spain, where he sold him in the city of Málaga. He was among a number of captives bought by local monks who focused on their education and evangelization. Squanto eventually traveled to England, where he may have met Pocahontas, a Native American from Virginia, in 1616-1617. He then returned to America in 1619 to his native village, only to find that his tribe had been wiped out by an epidemic infection; Squanto was the last of the Patuxets.

The Mayflower landed in Cape Cod Bay in 1620, and Squanto worked to broker peaceable relations between the Pilgrims and the local Pokanokets. He played a key role in the early meetings in March 1621, partly because he spoke English. He then lived with the Pilgrims for 20 months, acting as a translator, guide, and advisor.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 3:13PM

Yes, even the 2020 Mint Set Mintage's are the LOWEST (213,000) since 1961! I ordered two Sets, minus the Special Jefferson Nickel. The Mint decided not to add to the Mint Set. Still, excited about them. Supposedly, these die strikes will be different than past die strikes on the Mint coins. Maybe, ala SMS's? Regardless, of the Jefferson Nickel being taken away, for $25 I figure, it's not too bad. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Interesting to note that the Plymouth colony used a former Patuxet village site since the land had already. been clear
    ed but no longer had any inhabitants:

The first settlers of Plymouth Colony (modern Plymouth, Massachusetts), sited their colony at the location of a former Patuxet village, named "Port St. Louis" (Samuel de Champlain, 1605) or "Accomack" (John Smith, 1614). By 1616, the site had been renamed New Plimoth in Smith's A Description of New England after a suggestion by Prince Charles of England. When the Pilgrim Settlers decided to make their settlement, the land that had been cleared and cultivated by the prior inhabitants (since dead through disease) was a primary reason for the location.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, even the 2020 Mint Set Mintage's are the LOWEST (213,000) since 1961! I ordered two Sets, minus the Special Jefferson Nickel. The Mint decided not to add to the Mint Set. Still, excited about them. Supposedly, these die strikes will be different than past die strikes on the Mint coins. Maybe, ala SMS's? Regardless, of the Jefferson Nickel being taken away, for $25 I figure, it's not too bad. :)

How did you order already? I thought they are being released in November

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Wow, I'm glad the US coin mentions the Patuxet, but the coin may be misleading. The coin shows a man, woman and girl, but Wikipedia seems to indicate only 1 Patuxet was left when the Pilgrims arrived.

Wow. I'm not scholar on the subject and there may be some nuances to the matter, but if the Wikipedia article is accurate then the reverse depiction seems to be a major misrepresentation of history.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why am I not surprised that history took a left turn. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

They are. Nov. 30. I "enrolled. " Already paid ahead, $25×2. But they did not finalize my purchase yet. Meaning no total yet as to payment, tax, shipping...
    I guess I'm just certified in line to receive?
    A shame, they changed their mind on the "special Jefferson. " Maybe, down the line us enrollees will get first dibs? Lol :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

They are. Nov. 30. I "enrolled. " Already paid ahead, $25×2. But they did not finalize my purchase yet. Meaning no total yet as to payment, tax, shipping...
    I guess I'm just certified in line to receive?
    A shame, they changed their mind on the "special Jefferson. " Maybe, down the line us enrollees will get first dibs? Lol :)

Understood. Thanks for the clarification

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file