Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1914 Caballito Peso In Stack's Auction - What Is "Altered" About This Coin?

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2020 6:32PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I was watching the Stack's auction today and watched as a 1914 "altered surfaces" Caballito Peso went for about 1300 USD. What was altered on this coin? There looked to be a bit of very light rub in the fields of the reverse but didn't look too serious. What are readers' takes on this?
PCGS verification number: 40259039

Can't seem to post the pictures.

Until a year or two ago when I bought a Caballito as a bit of a risk that our hosts certified as "65", I didn't even really know about this series and am trying to learn.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think trying to figure out exactly what “altered surfaces” means from a TrueView or any other picture is a fool’s errand. You can’t see in photos what graders saw in hand.

That being said, the pictures make the obverse surfaces look very odd and the luster looks impaired.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

Good points there, it's coins like this that make me careful at auction if the coin is not seen in hand.
    Another tough coin from pictures are the early Philippines pesos struck at US mints ....

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

I think there are multiple places on the obverse where something was removed...perhaps to harshly.

• Options

The upcoming MS61 in the Nov. 5 Heritage sale looks good for grade [judged on pictures].
    I looked at a few on the net and it appears this date comes with issues many times; I still don't see from the pictures of the OP coin even on magnification don't show clear cleaning signs but looks like the obverse is a bit dull. There is an area between the 2nd and 3rd sun ray that looks slightly discolored is all I could see. And this I see on many other specimens.
    Buying this date looks a bit like a minefield to me.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    The upcoming MS61 in the Nov. 5 Heritage sale looks good for grade [judged on pictures].

So does that PCGS MS63

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

These three areas look strange to me on the zoomed in photos of the obverse.

Again, hard to tell from photographs.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

The black dots at 10 appear to be the remainder of many that were removed.

• Options

Those didn't really bother me, I've seen rather a lot of such on many coins; Brandon's points are a bit more to the fore IMO. I wonder what this one looked like in hand?