Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Direction in Selliin

I am helping with a very large collection of Very Collectable items to the right person..(Not Me) I did a favor now I at trying to liquidate the items. Most are presidential quarters rolls as listed in Buy and Sell here, proof set run from 1955 to 2017 most all clad. Mercury dime book with 2 dimes per page with all kind of history info. same with quarters halves, kennedy halves . I have been going back and forth and I have an idea of the value I would like to get, based on E Bay results. (Low End E-bay Sales) Most items are new very bulky in beautiful collector cases. Colored Quarters, pope coins, proof fake Silver Dollar Proofs with silver over copper. What is the best venue to unload these? The poor guy spent well over 25 k for these items and I would like to help out the cause of unloading these?

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say it depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it. The simplest would be eBay if you want to take a year or two. You could sell to a dealer, and there are many, who accept bulk type items. That will be the fastest way but the least return.

If your area has a coin show you could set up shop there and try your luck there.

• Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

The items would fill a 8 foot pickup truck bed and the back seat.....Everything is beautiful, modern, and colored quarter sets are everywhere.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you have three piles:
    1) Silver -- Sell to local dealer
    2) Clad Coins -- Deposit in the Bank
    3) Novelty Items -- Dumpster Material

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn! A truckload huh? I'm sorry to hear that. I wish I had better advice than @djm - but no, I don't so I'll just send my condolences.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got caught up on the TV sales pitches, 'eh?
    I have the same clients that have done the TV bit and those that have done the auto US Mint releases.....the stuff just piles up. Personally I walk away after a bit of advice on what to do. One of our local shops makes sales calls to homes and you don't have to even drag it down there. I recommend them often.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel for the owner......You too, as a volunteer.
    I often had people with this kind of stuff bring it in. The worst was a young man whos late dad loaded up with encapsulated quarter sets. He had a truck-load of banana boxes, full of gold plated, platinum plated and silver plated 5 piece sets. Many of you know the ones I'm talking about, colorful.
    I felt so badly for the guy. He really thought his dad left him something.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a sad situation. Ran into this a couple of times when I was working (pre-retirement). The amount of work involved to sell these items piece meal (or even semi-piecemeal) is prodigious and the return will be minimal. Much of what you describe fills pages on ebay. I would recommend picking the few coins of real value for individual sale, and then follow the advice of @TomB for the other 99%. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just made his problem your problem by agreeing to help sell it. He is going to lose a lot of money and may very well end up blaming you for doing a poor job of liquidating that "stuff".

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you luck but your first big mistake, and I quote, was describing it as "Very Collectable".

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file