Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you remember the very first time,

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2020 1:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

that you entered a bid on the Bay? What happened?

Mine was Yesterday and I wasn't going to lose to the other bidder even if it meant losing.
Yea, I nuked this Ike set. I was just window shopping Ikes and noticed this proof set at around 50.00 with 12 minutes left.
Well, this sounds like fun I'll just put in a bid of 51.00 and set the high to around 76.00
A few minutes later and several bids later I was up to 185.00 with a high set to 226.00. What the hell just happened!
I won/lost and will spend some more having it framed :)

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the 1990 Eisenhower Commemorative Dollar and the Presidential Dollar?

• Options

I don’t know but it’s 71 through 78 I believe.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I see, interesting way to title a thread. This should hit 100 easily . :D

• Options

@djm said:
    Where is the 1990 Eisenhower Commemorative Dollar and the Presidential Dollar?

you’re not supposed to make me feel worse you’re supposed to enlighten me with your raw deal the very first time so that I feel better🤣

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2020 3:11PM

The wife had to go put her baggage's out the door and gas in her car and waved goodbye while walking towards my freedom. I divorced my wife when collecting went online had to I needed the money to buy there was no other choice. Joke never got married preferred my hobbies among many other things in life. I truly enjoy spending on myself, my pet, nice food and whatever else.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this fall under the why coin collectors drink class?... :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

226$ for that ouch.. Could pick up a whole srt with uncs for less then that.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

That falls in line with how much you'd pay for the album from Littleton Coin Company anyways given how they always overprice.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not as that bid was over 21 years ago, wow!!!!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. It was in 1999 when I finally decided I wanted an old Apple Newton MessagePad 2000 because I always wanted to try it but couldn’t afford it when it came out. That was the only reason I ever joined eBay. I don’t remember if I was outbid but I did win it.

• Options

@ike126 said:

I won it at 185 but I had the max at 226. Thankfully the other bidder quit when he did. With fees and the like it was 206.
    Obviously I went into this ill prepared but it was like the thrill of the hunt and the more it went up the more I was convincing myself that there might be a good reason why. At my age 12 minutes is longer than sex but it felt like seconds.
    What she said🤣

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I do not as that bid was over 21 years ago, wow!!!!

I remember mine like it was Yesterday🙃

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ike126 said:

I won it at 185 but I had the max at 226. Thankfully the other bidder quit when he did. With fees and the like it was 206.
    Obviously I went into this ill prepared but it was like the thrill of the hunt and the more it went up the more I was convincing myself that there might be a good reason why. At my age 12 minutes is longer than sex but it felt like seconds.
    What she said🤣

Hahaha seems like sinces theres been a lack of local shows the prices on the bay are very very strong IMHO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not on eBay, but I do remember my first auction bid and win. It was a Teletrade auction. It was the Tuesday auction that didn't include any fees. The final cost was whatever the final bid was. And, as a first time buyer there were no shipping charges. The coin was a 1970 something Jefferson nickel. Total cost...$4 and change. I was the only bidder of course. After that I had auction fever for years. Not anymore. Haven't bought a coin though an auction for many years. I wish I had stopped before I ever got started.

• Options

Thanks Hydrant that is reassuring, reassuring that i’m hooked.
    When I looked at the sellers other items I noticed a lot of collectible household items, leading me to believe this was from an estate or many which lead me to believe he may not be a savant in the world of coins so, I also purchased 10 rolls of 09 cents for 54. Can’t wait to search those next week.

• Options

@slowhand That’s great 😂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first purchase(s) on ebay were marbles. I learned quickly that it was different from live auctions and the amateurs ruled the activity (back then, we were all online auction amateurs). After the first couple of debacles, I became savvy in sniping and ruled from then on... :D Coins were much the same at the time.... picked up some great deals back then. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes. She was a beauty.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been so long ago I don't have a clue.

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

I don't remember the first auction on eBay that I either won or lost. I probably did some BIN shopping, before stepping off into the world of bidding, anyway. There is over a million U.S. coin listings on eBay. Makes it kind of hard not to shop/bid for coins there.

@CoinscratchFever good luck in your bidding ventures on eBay. Check your newly acquired coins for varieties, also.

• Options

@Snaps . Absolutely. Recently bought 4 commemorative 09 packs that include 4 cents each. One pack had 2 of the extra pinky finger I believe 105 or 108. they will definitely go with the next order and one should match the top grade of 66.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but I can't really talk about it. :o

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ike126 said:

I won it at 185 but I had the max at 226. Thankfully the other bidder quit when he did.

Next try a sniping service, like AuctionSniper. Let the guy think he's won it at $50, and 3 seconds left it places your $226 bid, but it makes you the winner at $76 (?), and by the time he sees he's been outbid, it's too late. You won it. :smile:

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had her on the line, but she got away.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Ah yes. She was a beauty.

Your post reminds me of the song by The Tubes!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nearly 23 years ago, no idea what it was.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:
    Nearly 23 years ago, no idea what it was.

I would definitely have trouble remembering that too.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 1:39PM

Yes, I do. It was,.... well.....somewhat scary. But, you know what was more scary than that?........I recently crossed paths with my long ago partner in crime. Now that was downright FRIGHTENING! Boy, did I dodge a bullet on that one. Time can be oh so very cruel.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dealer friend & mentor had an 1814 classic head large cent in a pci VF holder i wanted, but he had already listed it on ebay, so I signed up and bought it, was about 21 years ago. yes , it was a pci green and undergraded a bit. It was still a good bit of time before i actually began selling there, mostly bought when i first joined.

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    A dealer friend & mentor had an 1814 classic head large cent in a pci VF holder i wanted, but he had already listed it on ebay, so I signed up and bought it, was about 21 years ago. yes , it was a pci green and undergraded a bit. It was still a good bit of time before i actually began selling there, mostly bought when i first joined.

I have purchased at least one pci green. Should I take another look at it? I think it’s a Jeff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file