Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grade is back on my Lion Daalder

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2020 1:07PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I am giddy!!
Two or three years ago, I bought a wonderful looking Lion Daalder from our friend John Agre of CRO.
It was in an NGC MS61 holder. Unfortunately I cracked it out to get it in one of our host’s holders. It came back 53. (Way too low in my opinion.) I sent it in again with photos of coins in PCGS 63 holders that did not have as good a strike, eye appeal or as strong a details. It came back 53 again. The coin is not perfectly round from a hammered strike (in my opinion). Maybe that is what PCGS did not like. (THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A CRITICISM OF OUR HOST.)

Well, I just couldn’t stand it any more! I cracked it out of the PCGS holder and sent it raw to NGC. I hoped to get it back in an NGC 61 holder. It really has the best details of any Daalder I have ever seen. Actually I dreamed of better. My dream came true!
Well, ladies and gentlemen, my grade and photo were just posted at NGC. Sorry for the poor photo but here it is:
Pop. 2 with 1 better.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now play the cross-over game and see if PCGS all of a sudden agrees with MS62? :lol:

Lovely coin, regardless of the number on the tomb.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

Ssssh.
    Don’t tell anybody!

@brg5658 said:
    Now play the cross-over game and see if PCGS all of a sudden agrees with MS62? :lol:

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    Ssssh.
    Don’t tell anybody!

@brg5658 said:

I'm going to guess that John already tried a cross in the NGC holder at MS61 before he put it on his website. He doesn't offer much material in NGC plastic unless there is something "special" about the plastic (e.g., old holder or gold CAC bean).

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options

@brg5658 said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    Ssssh.
    Don’t tell anybody!

@brg5658 said:

I'm going to guess that John already tried a cross in the NGC holder at MS61 before he put it on his website. He doesn't offer much material in NGC plastic unless there is something "special" about the plastic (e.g., old holder or gold CAC bean).

Then, I am the lucky one

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great coin.

Can you expand on this: "I sent it in again with photos of coins in PCGS 63 holders that did not have as good a strike, eye appeal or as strong a details."

Did you send pictures in to the graders? I doubt they saw them?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    It's a great coin.

Can you expand on this: "I sent it in again with photos of coins in PCGS 63 holders that did not have as good a strike, eye appeal or as strong a details."

Did you send pictures in to the graders? I doubt they saw them?

I gave my coin, submission form, and those photos to David at a Members’ only show.
    Bob13, your avatar coin is nice too!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe PCGS gave that coin 53 twice.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask said:
    Hard to believe PCGS gave that coin 53 twice.

Thanks, BidAsk

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

It is an attractive coin and worthy of the grade. I don't believe the grading technique is equal across all countries, and not all graders are expert with some of the nuances of minting (hammered, soft strikes, etc.)
    Nevertheless, I can't justify sending it in 3 times.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2020 3:32PM

@atom said:
    It is an attractive coin and worthy of the grade. I don't believe the grading technique is equal across all countries, and not all graders are expert with some of the nuances of minting (hammered, soft strikes, etc.)
    Nevertheless, I can't justify sending it in 3 times.

Like it or not, grade affects price if I decide to sell.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice coin but I agree with the PCGS grade.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    It's a nice coin but I agree with the PCGS grade.

Think you’re wrong. If you’re not,
    Then the coins that got 63’s are really XF‘s.
    Hammered coins can’t be graded liked more recent ones.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are heavily graded based on luster in my view given the crude manufacturing process. It is so tough to grade these from pictures.

There are some massive dogs in holders, blast white and ugly. This is better than most but there are 63's nicer and 63's worse.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what I consider to be a nice one. It actually has some original luster, though the strike is not as nice as yours. Curious if folks here think this might get an AU grade. I'm thinking XF myself.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Here's what I consider to be a nice one. It actually has some original luster, though the strike is not as nice as yours. Curious if folks here think this might get an AU grade. I'm thinking XF myself.

Darryl,

I agree with your grade.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the one listed on CROs site currently. Too bad it doesn’t fit any of my collections.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    I really like the one listed on CROs site currently. Too bad it doesn’t fit any of my collections.

My old friend. Best I have seen.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin. :)