Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This Walker looks original to me. UPDATED before & after

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 21, 2020 7:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked this up today after work just because I like the look,
Aside from an acetone bath (where it sits right now) I don't plan to mess with it at all. It does have really nice luster underneath whatever tarnish is sitting on it. I think it's very original but I'm sure there are other opinions.
Without knowing exactly what PCGS does to a coin for their conservation services, would this be a candidate?

A little tilt...

Comments

• Options
    hatchethatchet Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    I don't like mottled toning.

Very common date, so not worth the cost of conservation. JMHO.

Not worth conservation, but if it were, what could be the expected result of conservation on this coin?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS will not conserve due to toning....not a candidate.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

The first coin showed at https://www.pcgs.com/restoration has mottled toning and shows that it could be restored.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree - too common to pay the expense.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the thumb on that one. That’s a very poor strike for a very common date with typically very strong strike. No hand and thumb definition. Pass.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy your half dollar. Posts by @Walkerfan and @ThreeCentSilverFL cover the considerations.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheaper to just buy some EZ-zest. I predict the toning would come off but the surfaces will still show some dull surfaces where the toning used to be.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    boring, likely dipped out white ones with ticks and scuffs all over

>
    >

That sounds like the shops around me LOL B)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Ha. I figured as much. Of course I know it's not worth the cost, I was just throwing this up for conversation. This was $24 at my shop and surrounded by boring, likely dipped out white ones with ticks and scuffs all over. I just appreciated the look more than the others. I'm in this hobby for the fun and widgets like this one sti speak to me.

If the luster is there; I could appreciate it more.

It is certainly an interesting piece.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 6:57PM

@coinJP said:
    Cheaper to just buy some EZ-zest. I predict the toning would come off but the surfaces will still show some dull surfaces where the toning used to be.

I’d try MS70 first, if the results with acetone don’t give you what you want.
    EZ Zest could turn it into one of the dipped out coins that the OP mentioned. It’s a last resort in my book.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second the MS70! Great candidate.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredF said:

The first coin showed at https://www.pcgs.com/restoration has mottled toning and shows that it could be restored.

Read the fine print:
    Toning
    PCGS Restoration will not remove original toning simply to make a coin white.
    PCGS Restoration will never add toning to a coin.
    In cases where PCGS determines that removing toning is necessary and desirable and will not detract from the coin, it may be done. This type of toning may be the result of improper storage, interaction with corrosive materials, or a stain due to an accidental spill.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

for $24 it would be fun to experiment with it

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... talked me into it. Here's a light q-tip make over in MS70.
    I can see arguments for both before and after preference.
    I'm on the fence, it looks very nice in hand. A little less nice from my photos.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 7:45PM

Solid MS70 job. Not worth grading, though. Certainly more sale-able now.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks much better now. FWIW--I don't think it was original before. I think it was improperly dipped and rinsed.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks much better after that grungy gunk was removed. That was not tarnish, that was some type of deposited residue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks better overall....you did lose the original 'skin', which looked particularly nice on the reverse, but those speckles & freckles on the obverse were a major
    detractor, and the luster bands show pretty well now.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.

Good choice using M70, as it looks much better now.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the 'toning' came off with MS70 then it wasn't toning but some other sort of surface contamination. As dark and splotchy as it was I'm not surprised. Looks better now!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a wheel mark down the middle of the bird to the leg or luster band?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2020 6:46PM

That became an attractive coin. Nice

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

The MS-70 job improved the coin IMO. Not worth grading, but a great album coin. Also, if you have not done so already, I would do a final soak in acetone to get any MS-70 residue off.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, if you want to try another experiment, stick it in a coin envelope for 2 years to see if it will re-tone to cover the hairlines the MS-70 revealed.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the 'toning' came off with MS70 then it wasn't toning but some other sort of surface contamination.

this was my first thought when the "after" pictures showed up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file