Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An uptick in Coin Dealer spam and TeleMarketers.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 21, 2020 3:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Have you noticed a recent increase in TeleMarketer calls hawking Gold and "Investment" coins along with spam or other unwanted e-mails from Coin Dealers?? In the past month alone I seem to have gotten more of both than in the previous 1-2 years. Just this morning I added a California dealer to my e-mail blocked list because he continues to use my address to promote stupid crap.

Has anyone else noticed these things??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was getting these calls two years ago and finally made them stop.....the emails stopped then as well. Turned out that the reason I got on their list was I responded to one online inquiry about gold coins... then they shared my information through list selling. Was really irritating for a while. Al, I imagine you have much more exposure having worked in the coin business... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I was getting these calls two years ago and finally made them stop.....the emails stopped then as well. Turned out that the reason I got on their list was I responded to one online inquiry about gold coins... then they shared my information through list selling. Was really irritating for a while. Al, I imagine you have much more exposure having worked in the coin business... Cheers, RickO

This is why I stopped giving to most charities. Your name winds up on a "sucker list" which gets sold to other charities and then you are bombarded by charity solicitations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes like an increasing background radiation.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was out of town last week from Sunday until Friday afternoon. I decided to take a break from the emails during that period.
    When I got back I had 94 emails waiting to be opened. I deleted 92 of the 94 without bothering to open them,

None were from coin dealers. The last time I got a call from a coin telemarketer I simply told him I was no longer in the coin market and had no interest in what he was selling. I haven't gotten any more coin related calls or emails since.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Target marketing. Welcome to the world today. I find myself doing Google searches for leprechauns and unicorns, just to throw the data mining programs off.

Now, I will likely see one of these minting facilities create the new colorized unicorn and leprechaun coins, and market them to me. Sigh.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe, you inadvertently screwed yourself. Leprechauns are associated with rainbows and the pot-o-gold waiting at its end, I am sure the TeleMarketing algorithms have that figured in and are dialing you up as we speak!! :p

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is retailers sell their customer lists for some scratch. Your contact info is not yours anymore. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never answer a political poll. I made that mistake and the phone is ringing off the hook.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file