Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1973 Topps Football Card Wrappers

Does anyone out there know if these '73 Topps football card wrappers are a rare variation? I recently found/purchased them on eBay and up to that point had never seen the "15 Cards 15¢" advert (except for the 2018 Topps 80th Anniversary Wrapper Art Card). I've seen plenty of the "Biggest Series Ever" advert, but not this one. After doing a little bit of online research, I have also (potentially) discovered that the "15 Cards 15¢" advert was/is only printed on the wrapper with the image of a running back, and only with the NFL Posters and Sports Card Locker offers. Any information on these wrappers
would be appreciated...thanks!

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

According to online
    https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/vintage-pack-facts-1973-topps-football/amp/

Most wax packs were still offering ten cards for a dime, but Topps also tested a 15-cent pack that had 15 cards in it. The latter packs are very scarce today. One of them, graded PSA 8, sold for over $2,000 through Mile High Card Company in May. The front of the dime packs advertised “Biggest Series Ever” while the 15-cent packs touted ’15 cards for 15 cents.’
    Standard wax boxes held 36 packs and the design had a definite 1970s flavor. The front panel promised a “team checklist in every pack” (they weren’t inside cello or rack packs) as well as the “Biggest Series Ever” campaign. We haven’t seen a box of 15-cent packs.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2020 2:42PM

I believe the 15 cards for 15 cents wrapper only came in the running back variation

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s what the display box looked like...

• Options

I guess that would explain the size difference between the two wrappers...thanks a bunch to all who responded!

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I call them Quarter Pounders

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Very interesting.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik