Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does the 1976 No-S Proof Dollar / Judd-2164 Pattern have a unique reverse?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 18, 2020 8:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was looking at the reverse of Judd-2164 / Pollock-2088 and noticed that the tops of the letters TE in STATES don't seem to line up. I thought this would be strange for a production die so I looked up regular issue coins where the letters seem to line up better. The letters also look thinner to me.

Does Judd-2164 have a unique reverse die (and hub)? Or am I seeing something that's not there?

Below are TrueViews for:

1. Judd-2164
  2. 1976 Type 2
  3. 1976-D Type 2

Comments

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I was looking at the reverse of Judd-2164 / Pollock-2088 and noticed that the tops of the letters TE in STATES don't line up. I thought this would be strange for a production die so I looked up regular issue coins where the letters line up better. The letters also look thinner to me.

Does Judd-2164 have a unique reverse die (and hub)? Or am I seeing something that's not there?

Good idea to check, but it looks the same to me. It can be tricky to compare fine details on proof coins because of a) differences in thickness of lettering or other details due to differential die polishing and b) differences in appearance due to lighting/glare.

Comparison of Judd-2164 with a regular clad proof 1976-S Type 2:

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I had the piece in hand at Coin World back in 1977(?) I never thought to double check the hub. Looked like a normal Type 2 to me.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

serifs or tips on the S look different

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @davewesen .... stylized serifs appear different. Cheers, RickO

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll ask Justin to take a good look at the coin later next week and make a definitive determination that I can report back here.

Thank you Zoins (and others)

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 1:58PM

Update...

Justin was unavailable until next week to travel to where the coin is stored. But, he does expect to go over there for a look next week. Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file