Home Sports Talk
Options

Chiefs Super Bowl ring being auctioned off

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Weber, a member of the Super Bowl winning Chiefs from last season, is auctioning off his Super Bowl ring. He was a member of the Chiefs practice squad last season. It is being auctioned off at Goldin Auctions and the current bid is $60,000. Hit the link to keep track of the sale.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=68546&seo=2020_kansas_city_chiefs_super_bowl_liv_championshi

Comments

• Options
    edited October 16, 2020 11:41AM

I would place a bid, but I'm too poor. Heck, my local clothing store has even created a special section just for me.

• Options

Heck, I'm so poor, this is how I fixed my headlight.

• Options

It should also be noted that the ring has 122 diamonds on it, that represent the 100th anniversary of the NFL and the 22 playoff appearances of the Chiefs.

• Options

Mike Weber was cut by the Chiefs in May, so that might have something to do with him selling it.

• Options

Me buying my wife's wedding ring....

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Me buying my wife's wedding ring....

Cheapskate, I spent over $2 for my wife's ring.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read where in another auction, Tom Brady is selling all of his Super Bowl rings since he doesn't play for the Patriots any longer.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

A few years back, my nephew's mom asked me to take him to look at cars. Went to one dealer and the guy shows us a car not far off from this picture. The headlight was still there but was too small for the opening and they had shoved a Mountain Dew bottle into the gap to hold it in place. The salesman could not understand why we didn't want to test drive it. Seriously.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I read where in another auction, Tom Brady is selling all of his Super Bowl rings since he doesn't play for the Patriots any longer.

Nah, he's hanging onto his rings. Couple years ago, though, one that he ordered went up for auction.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

A few years back, my nephew's mom asked me to take him to look at cars. Went to one dealer and the guy shows us a car not far off from this picture. The headlight was still there but was too small for the opening and they had shoved a Mountain Dew bottle into the gap to hold it in place. The salesman could not understand why we didn't want to test drive it. Seriously.

😂😂😂😂

• Options

I'm so cheap, and poor, this is what I got my wife for Christmas last year....

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so poor I can't pay attention. Nor can I afford free samples.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    fretboardfretboard Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

Amazing looking ring but too ostentatious for my liking! :D

• Options
    edited October 16, 2020 5:54PM

My air conditioning system....

• Options

@doubledragon said:

You got her a 3d portrait of yourself? :smiley:

• Options
    edited October 17, 2020 2:24AM

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

You got her a 3d portrait of yourself? :smiley:

My wife can't see me at night, I'm so poor, and cheap, to save power I turn off all the lights. One time, I accidentally kissed the cat, thinking it was my wife.

• Options

The ring is now at $65,000 with 15 days to go in the auction. I love a good auction. This is going to be a tasty treat.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2020 5:30AM

I'm so poor, and cheap, that on Valentine's day, I pick my own flowers to give to my wife. The quality isn't as good as roses, but it's the thought that counts....

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

The kid probably needs some cash, he is trying to get back in the league. I don’t blame him for selling it

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 12:05PM

this thing is stupid looking imagine being the bozo that wears crap like that around :D

There is a coin shop I frequent that has a bunch of patriots super bowl ring replicas on a little velvet tray in a case. I told the guy that owns it that he should "forget" and leave them out someday and maybe he will get lucky and some crackhead will steal them

I think they have been there since 2004 :D

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been 54 Superbowls through 2020.

If you only consider the rings given to the players on the active roster for the winning team (a maximum of 53 players if my memory is correct and if 53 has been the maximum active roster players the entire 54 years) them there are a maximum of 2,862 Superbowl Rings that have been given to active roster players to date.

That is a lot of Superbowl rings. They cannot be considered "rare"; and I suspect that one could easily find these rings for sale on the open sports collectibles market.

I wonder how many of these 2,862 rings are still owned and possessed by the players they were awarded to (or their families after their deaths); how many have been lost, how many have been destroyed, how many have been sold; how many have been pawned or otherwise borrowed against, etc.

I also wonder what the highest price paid for a Superbowl Ring is; and the difference in market value in sold rings between a ring given to a high profile player (i.e. Tom Brady) and a ring given to a low or no profile player (i.e. back up special teams player).

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wonder which superbowl ring is the ugliest and whether it was designed by jerry jones

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    this thing is stupid looking imagine being the bozo that wears crap like that around :D

Depends on how many you have

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

unless it was owned by a star player, I honestly would have little desire to own one. I would imagine star players seldom have the need to sell, so I would imagine they are quite rare and valuable.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think there are way more than 2800 rings around. they are given to lots of staff on each winning team.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget: players/staff can also get rings for family members, so there is a ton out there.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2020 1:07PM

I’d love to own a Bills ring from their AFL Championship teams from 1964 or 1965 Very modest at that time and definitely wearable. I’ve seen a few auctioned off ranging from $7K for Ernie Warlicks to $18K for a Jack Kemp family member. I’m sure Todd @AFLfan has more info on AFL rings. Pictured are Chinese fakes.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of the AFL championship rings and have images of some of them, but my actual knowledge is pretty limited. I do have one ring in my collection. This belonged to Chargers running back, Gerry McDougall. It is his ring from the Chargers 1963 AFL championship. It is rather worn down, but I'm just thrilled to be able to have an original ring from this game in my collection. Obviously San Diego won't be celebrating any professional football championships in the near future.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan That is a really nice piece to have as part of your collection.

Felicidades!

Thanks for sharing!

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Don't forget: players/staff can also get rings for family members, so there is a ton out there.

My understanding is that those are different from the player ones. The article I read for Tom Brady's rings talked about that. The others had a lot fewer diamonds than the player ones.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    I've seen a lot of the AFL championship rings and have images of some of them, but my actual knowledge is pretty limited. I do have one ring in my collection. This belonged to Chargers running back, Gerry McDougall. It is his ring from the Chargers 1963 AFL championship. It is rather worn down, but I'm just thrilled to be able to have an original ring from this game in my collection. Obviously San Diego won't be celebrating any professional football championships in the near future.

I never doubted you’d have an incredible item to top off this post. The wear on that ring proves it was a treasured item. Just makes it that much more special.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@DrBuster said:

My understanding is that those are different from the player ones. The article I read for Tom Brady's rings talked about that. The others had a lot fewer diamonds than the player ones.

This is absolutely true. The family rings are different and the womens ones are much more subtle. Last time I went down for a family reunion the cousins family had their latest Heat championship rings on. The main one was absolutely massive and then the family ones were still awesome but not the same.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

I never doubted you’d have an incredible item to top off this post. The wear on that ring proves it was a treasured item. Just makes it that much more special.

Thanks. I don't have a lot of memorabilia anymore, but I have tried to accumulate items pertaining to that game as it is the only major sports championship in San Diego history. I have a display case next to my desk and one shelf is pretty much dedicated to that game. It has items that once belonged to Sid Gillman and Ron Mix, the ring, and others stuff.

I've also picked up a proof ticket and ticket stub.

A Type I photo or two...

This original newspaper cartoon artwork

And then I love the 1964 Topps Chargers team card that shows the '63 team. I've got more than 50 of them signed by different combinations of players, coaches, from office personnel...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan Even as Patriots lifer, I can appreciate and enjoy that collection.

Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

@2dueces said:

And then I love the 1964 Topps Chargers team card that shows the '63 team. I've got more than 50 of them signed by different combinations of players, coaches, from office personnel...

I like this idea

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFL fan- maybe next year for the Padres.
    I like their team a lot, wish they would have went to the WS this year.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.