Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Gradable vintage sportscards tapped out ?

Spent some time on the PCSportscard web site checking out their PSA completed submissions and was a little surprised. Even though it was a small sample size of maybe 200 or so subs l was shocked at the lack of vintage cards from any sport. It was maybe 70 % basketball - almost all new stuff. Baseball maybe 20 % ( mostly new ) and the rest football with very little hockey. What vintage ( pre 80's ) there was was basically low grade. Does that mean that raw vintage and classic cards are for the most part all graded ? Are there some collectors that refuse to grade their vintage cards ?

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

most vintage guys sub themselves. that may change here shortly w the removal of the $499 level though. most of the group subs are always going to be predominately modern. basketball and gaming cards will make up the majority of that.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    most vintage guys sub themselves. that may change here shortly w the removal of the $499 level though. most of the group subs are always going to be predominately modern. basketball and gaming cards will make up the majority of that.

I will pay more to sub myself to get back quicker and not deal with the hassle and potential issues. I send in a good bit of 70s stuff not much 60s unless I get really lucky though.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think where you look matters.

A similar data report on submissions from net54 would produce vastly different results, as would Blowout, as would even CU.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• nebishnebish Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

I have an extensive vintage FB collection. Sets in albums. Individual HOFers, stars and semi-stars (duplicates from the sets) in albums. Many are quite nice and would grade well. I'm just not interested in spending the time and money to do it and I like looking through my cards as I have them. I don't want thousands of graded cards in some kind of box.

I watch a lot of auctions on ebay. There are still very many gradable raw vintage FB cards. They go for big bucks, like the graded price for the raw card. Saw a $200+ 1982 Lawrence Taylor raw card just tonight. Prices are crazy for stuff that looks mint. "Book" prices and online price guides are not capturing it.