Home Precious Metals
Options

My best friend of 30 years wants to buy metals now. Beginner suggestions?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LongarmLongarm Posts: 89 ✭✭

Yeah pucks are the way to go, at least that's what I stack.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2020 4:52AM

For many years, my favorite silver has been 90%, as close to spot as possible. However, currently I am not buying the 90%, because I think that the premium is way too high.

I usually buy small amounts, and accumulate over time. Personally, I will not usually buy 90% unless I can hand pick it, or a good picture of what I am buying is available.

Of course, I still buy the silver eagles, rounds and bars, when the price is right.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

If getting in for purely intrinsic value, name brand silver bars (SilverTowne, Engelhard) or gold bars in blister packs with purity and assayers name. Purchase PM's from trusted sites (APMEX, JMBULLION) don't buy raw gold bars on Ebay unless you know the seller, far to many fakes floating around. Always try to buy as much PM you can versus dollars spent and attempt to buy on dips, just my opinion.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

tell him to sell and if he has none then sit this out

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully "your friend" decided to wait it out. Never a good move to buy the top. Rgds!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2020 11:08AM

I had a writeup posted, but decided that it was just me, running off at the mouth, lol.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

"time to sell", "never buy at the top", so is the consensus that metals stay where they are, or even go down after the upcoming election riots? Interesting takes.

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Keep the opinions coming!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell your friend I ordered another monster box, and fifty gold eagles. If he wants some: PM.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

So did he actually get anything yet?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bennybravo said:
    Keep the opinions coming!

Well you initially asked for suggestions. Opinions are like.... what's that saying ? Not everyone has metal or the nerve to take the plunge. 98% of my huge family is included.
    They take neither suggestion or opinion. No surprise.

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Hopefully "your friend" decided to wait it out. Never a good move to buy the top. Rgds!

Silver has been $50 twice in the past. Stimulus before end of year. I think silver could run up from here. But who knows.