Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to sell childhood collection 1961 Fleer Basketball

412robertg412robertg Posts: 7

I need suggestions. I have the complete set of 1961 Fleer basketball cards that I bought as a child. They are pack fresh as I put them away immediately. I see prices are through the roof for Chamberlain and West but the cards are all PSA rated. I would be afraid to mail them away to get graded and hope they would not switch cards. I am only considering parting with them. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Post pictures of the cards (front/back). They may help get you some advice and offers. Being only your first post decreases your odds for responses.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

PSA didn't become the leading grading company by switching cards. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of them even being accused of switching cards. Like WFFL stated, if you post pics you will get many, many opinions on potential grades and what you should do.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

• Options

This card is an example of all cards condition. I actually have a better West that personifies the collecttion. I wikk post the front of Chamberlln next. I don't hav ethe card with me at the moment for the back

• Options

That should get someone's attention. :)

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 10:35PM

Whatever you do, get that Wilt out of that screwdown holder ASAP. These need to be graded by PSA. If you are unsure about sending them, look into sending it the safest way possible which is registered mail.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 11:17PM

i can assure you "switching out" is something that you should not be worried about. if anything, shipping would be your biggest risk. i would also advise you to "dip the toe" first before going all in. send a few of the commons in first. get yourself acquainted w the subbing process while reassuring yourself that they're not switching out.

if you're truly paranoid, that's ok at first and only natural, about shipping/switching out your babies, consider going to the national to get the key cards done at the show.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont be concerned with PSA switching out cards. that will not happen. As stated before, shipping is your biggest worry. Personally, I would not sub all at once. I would spread it out over a few different shipments. that way, if a package is lost, it is not your entire collection.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful cards! As mentioned, get them out of screw downs and into card savers as soon as you can.

Most reputable auction houses will come get the cards and have them graded for you.

But I’d decide if I wanted to sell first before sending anything anywhere. While you are right that grading them before selling them is the way to go, I wouldn’t rush to grade them all. Scans are better than pictures but the West and Chamberlain shown are beautiful but the West in particular doesn’t seem to have the centering you’d need to be high grade.

Again, beautiful stuff and good luck whatever you decide.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Wilt is in better shape than the West, imo. They need to be taken out of the screw downs ASAP, as others have mentioned. You're probably wondering why and the answer is that old fashioned screw down holders mash/squeeze/flatten the corners of the cards. In some cases this could adversely affect your grade by several points. In more severe cases, PSA will say the cards have been "altered" and refuse to grade them.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

First, you need to set realistic expectations for the prices that you might realize for your set. You are looking at these cards from a sentimental standpoint and your definition of 'pack fresh' is a little misleading. If you have hopes of seeing PSA 9s and 10s, that simply will not happen based on the images that you have provided. However, if your cards are more like the Chamberlain and less like the West, then you have an investment grade set rather than a typical collector grade set.

The West appears to be around a PSA 3 - 4 and the Chamberlain is much nicer and could be in the PSA 7 range, provided that there are no surface issues and the back is clean. It is difficult to assess, based on the image alone, but the corners and centering seem strong enough to warrant a high grade. I cannot tell if the bottom right corner is blunted or it is the result of the blurriness of the image.

With that having been said, an auction house might be the best way to go. A childhood set that is fresh to the market might be a very appealing candidate to encourage some high bids and, as mentioned by 1951, they will take care of the grading aspects of the collection for you.

I'd be interested to see some of the other cards in order to have a better understanding of what the entire set looks like from a condition standpoint, and based on that, it will determine whether or not grading each individual card would bring a net positive value for your collection.

Exciting cards for sure, and it's always nice to see a set that has outlasted many of the obstacles that hinder the survival of a childhood collection.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 7:09AM

Grade the key cards. You will never realize full value selling raw. I would get the key cards graded then send to pwcc to sell. Hate to sound like a pwcc advertisement but nothing easier from a seller perspective. They do all the work and the fees are less than selling on eBay and PayPal myself. That being said I would never buy anything from pwcc because the auction prices always seem to be higher.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

Thank you all for the great advice. You got me concerned about the screw down Chamberlain card. It has been in it since 1991 when I thought it was the best. Could I damage it taking it out? or let a buyer do that. The West card I showed is an extra, there is a better one in the set.

• Options

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@412robertg said:
    Thank you all for the great advice. You got me concerned about the screw down Chamberlain card. It has been in it since 1991 when I thought it was the best. Could I damage it taking it out? or let a buyer do that.

You should take it out right away. Any damage has likely already been done and a knowledgeable buyer will discount for possible damage. Anyway, PSA will not accept for grading in that holder.

• Options

I took another card out of a screw down. It appeared to be OK. Thank you.