Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Jeff Garrett Conder Tokens

Any of y'all have any idea why Jeff Garretts conder tokens are only being sold off of govmint.com. Its a shame that they aren't being sold at a more mainstream rare coin venue.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8367/conder-tokens/

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

When doing a search, it appears there are only 3 lots available for sale there, and prices are not listed but rather a phone number is given to call in. Seems very odd.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It has to be a legit collection being that NGC released the press release but still pretty unorthodox to not sell with Baldwins or Heritage.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I called in.
    They are being sold in sets of 5 or 10.
    Apparently you take what they give you.
    Not good, in my opinion.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 10:26AM

Odd to sell a curated collection in this manner

Thousands and thousands of dollars being left on the table via this selling mechanism. I've never even heard of govmint.com - and I'm certainly not going to join their website to then have to call a phone number to get a price.

Maybe they are selling at very aggressive fixed prices on the govmint.com site and then will eventually disburse those that no one buys to a normal venue like Heritage or Goldberg or (honestly) anywhere else besides this shady looking govmint.com website.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is that much money left on the table why don't you just snap them up???

@brg5658 said:
    Thousands and thousands of dollars being left on the table via this selling mechanism. I've never even heard of govmint.com - and I'm certainly not going to join their website to then have to call a phone number to get a price.

Maybe they are selling at very aggressive fixed prices on the govmint.com site and then will eventually disburse those that no one buys to a normal venue like Heritage or Goldberg or (honestly) anywhere else besides this shady looking govmint.com website.

edited October 16, 2020 6:35AM

@amwldcoin said:
    If there is that much money left on the table why don't you just snap them up???

@brg5658 said:

I was referencing the visibility of the sale. Not selling these kinds of tokens in a well publicized and generally accessible venue is simply idiotic.

The game they seem to be playing by posting them a handful at a time and not listing prices doesn’t imply to me they even really want to sell them.

I don’t just “snap them up” because I’m a collector not a flipper. Pictures don’t even seem to be available for what is in this collection of supposedly 2000 tokens. I don’t just buy anything and everything with hopes of flipping it for a profit.

-Brandon