Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why So Many Max Mehl Checks on the Market?

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the guy wrote a lot of checks!

A simple google search reveals many cancelled check images. They come up for sale time and again on eBay, at Heritage, and even on the BST.

What happened to Mehl's records after his business disbanded? Is there one source for all this ephemera?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't answer your question, but I have one...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was given mine a few years ago by a collector buddy who had obtained a number of them, some with secretarial signatures. I don't know who he got them from, though. See my numismatic ephemera post to see what I did with it.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want one but need to wait until a cheap one shows up on Ebay.

Any idea what the secretarial signatures looked like? Were they easy to spot?

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2020 7:08PM

@JBK said:
    I want one but need to wait until a cheap one shows up on Ebay.

Any idea what the secretarial signatures looked like? Were they easy to spot?

Yes, completely different than the ones posted here. The signatures here match images of checks Mehl used in advertising.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dadams said:

@JBK don't know why I have so many of these?! Shoot me a PM with your addy and I'll get one out to you.

Cool...😺

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dadams said:

@JBK don't know why I have so many of these?! Shoot me a PM with your addy and I'll get one out to you.

The sweetness of the forum. How nice of you!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen these for sale on ebay and offered on another coin forum... Just never interested me. Coins, medals, tokens.... Hard metal - precious or not - with designs. The only real paper I collect are books. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think MFeld may have some relevant information.

• Options

@dadams said:

Thank you - you are far too kind!

I will post a pic when it arrives.

• Options

A belated (public) thank you to @dadams for his incredibly generous gift. It arrived quickly but I did not get to photograph it and put it in my album until today.

I don't know what Grace Odgen was selling but $621.15 in 1948 was about 2 1/2 months salary for the average American. She had one heck of a pay day!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2020 12:27PM

Back in the day, all checks had to be physically returned for payment. They were often warehoused by banks. They also could have been warehoused by the individual if they were returned to him. If someone bought the archives of B. Max Mehl's bank or of Max Mehl himself, they would have obtained all of the checks that he ever wrote.

Right now, I have in my possession tens of thousands of checks from a single bank. I haven't looked through them. But if anyone famous banked there, I have all of their checks from ca. 1890.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Back in the day, all checks had to be physically returned for payment. They were often warehoused by banks. They also could have been warehoused by the individual if they were returned to him. If someone bought the archives of B. Max Mehl's bank or of Max Mehl himself, they would have obtained all of the checks that he ever wrote.

Right now, I have in my possession tens of thousands of checks from a single bank. I haven't looked through them. But if anyone famous banked there, I have all of their checks from ca. 1890.

I'm not famous, but if it's the bank I'm thinking of, I banked there at that time. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought these checks were cool pieces of numismatic-related history. If only they could talk...

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice pieces of history from a well-know numismatist. I may have to look for one myself.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file