Home Sports Talk

*** WEEK 6 CONTEST TIME -- CONGRATS ZIPPCITY! ***

2»

Comments

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2020 3:54AM

the one thing i found most revealing is that everyone with the exception of JRR took Green Bay. i take part in a weekly picks contest at my gym (I'm 10-2 so far, should've entered my own contest here?), and i felt very confident checking the Tampa box. Brady got some play toys back that he didn't have last week, and really their presence is all that is needed. they've got so many legitimate skill position players who Brady can play pitch-n-catch with that it completely opens up the field. next thing you know, a guy like Ronald Jones gashes the Pack for a buck thirteen and two house calls. Mike Evans caught ONE pass for ten yards and they took GB behind the woodshed and beat the hell outta them.

i said it prior to the season -- the best collection of weaponry Brady has ever had. when they're all on the football field, Tampa will be tough to beat.

and kudos to the Bucs' D........10 points in the 1st, then nada the rest of the game. they were STOUT.

and finally, Brady > Rodgers. all day, every day, i don't care what the circumstances are

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have known better than to bet on a man who dresses like he should be riding a mechanical bull in "Urban Cowboy!"

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@galaxy27 said:
    amigos we are down to 4 who can take this thing down, and it's actually quite interesting:

if Dallas beats Arizona, the tiebreaker will decide the victor between 2dueces, MCMLVTopps, zippcity, and JRR300

if Arizona beats Dallas, the tiebreaker will bust up 2dueces, MCMLVTopps, and zippcity

but zippcity has to be praying for an Arizona win, as he is sandwiched right in between MCMLVTopps and JRR300 in the tiebreaker with no room to spare

remember, the person closest to the actual points total for both games wins

good luck to the fab 4!

That means everyone took Kansas City over Buffalo. Even this Buffalo homer. I’m so ashamed. 😢😞☹️

I think that 140 number seems a bit on the high side. Sorry to say with Dak out, it's logical the Cowboys will go to the run as much as possible and try to keep the clock running in a low scoring game.

Also usually a team defense steps it up in the next game after their star quarterback goes down. So the Dallas defense should have a good game which will further work to keep the score low.

But of course as we all know, logic doesn't always work in handicapping NFL games. LOL

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    Chalk players are looking for Perkdog's head right now.

Seriously! I had my absolute worse football day ever yesterday, my fantasy team had an all time low and on DraftKings my 3 small wagers got smoked. It’s laughable how awful I did yesterday

You're honest enough to admit it.

I can't stand those handicapping services who often pretend like they rarely lose a game. They are some of the worst liars on the planet.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2020 5:05AM

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Seriously! I had my absolute worse football day ever yesterday, my fantasy team had an all time low and on DraftKings my 3 small wagers got smoked. It’s laughable how awful I did yesterday

As you reach my age, your brains begin the long march up from your groin to where the X-ray shows they actually belong. Then you are free to actually think about other things besides 6’ European Blondes. It helps the handicapping among other things. 😂😂

And @stevek The one thing about gambling is with my age I’ve learned not to take it that seriously, as a rule when it comes to the NFL I Rarely bet on it outside of small DraftKings bets and fantasy football. Like yesterday I bet 3 games to bring my total of 5 actual bets that go back to last year and no more than $20 a bet. And Ofcourse I’m 0-5 which I’m 50/50 laughing at and really pissed off about that it’s literally a higher power that says “FU your not going to win” and it has nothing to do with the short money it’s just the fact that I can’t win. It’s really bizarre how it works.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I should have known better than to bet on a man who dresses like he should be riding a mechanical bull in "Urban Cowboy!"

Wow, no wonder Danica gave him the adios! Might have been that Machu Picchu hike they took. What a doofus outfit! Is that red thing like a 4-h club badge? Geez, his wardrobe needs some help!! Maybe he's trying to catch up to Cam.

Yup, I picked the Packers too...that and the Falcons (I took the Vikings) were the two picks I pondered, and obviously pondered wrong.

edited October 19, 2020 7:09AM

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Paul...looks like a tough go yesterday for you.
    More beer! You'll do better next go 'round.

2deuces...

Well, I guess you could always hope for this...

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

As you reach my age, your brains begin the long march up from your groin to where the X-ray shows they actually belong. Then you are free to actually think about other things besides 6’ European Blondes. It helps the handicapping among other things. 😂😂

And @stevek The one thing about gambling is with my age I’ve learned not to take it that seriously, as a rule when it comes to the NFL I Rarely bet on it outside of small DraftKings bets and fantasy football. Like yesterday I bet 3 games to bring my total of 5 actual bets that go back to last year and no more than $20 a bet. And Ofcourse I’m 0-5 which I’m 50/50 laughing at and really pissed off about that it’s literally a higher power that says “FU your not going to win” and it has nothing to do with the short money it’s just the fact that I can’t win. It’s really bizarre how it works.

I like the line from Buddy Hackett on why he doesn't gamble:

"Every gambler i know is trying to get even."
    "Well, I'm already even."

:)

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Cheers Al! 🍻

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Cheers Al! 🍻

Back at ya Paul.

Was hoping to drive up from Atlanta for a visit to NH this Fall. We're kinda overdue for a road trip, and the Blue Ridge Parkway was calling, all 469 miles, but...
    Had reconstructive ankle surgery in July and am just now beginning to walk again. Totally painless from knocked out through 2 months of having a cast on...BUT, trying to walk again was not fun! Decided November was just too cold to try to enjoy home again. I have a relative in Nashua that just turned 87, hopefully I can make it up in the Spring to visit before I get the bad phone call.

Did you see Mookie's catches in right field?? Sad to see him in an LA uni, but he's still awesome.

Take care!
    Al

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't believe I was the only Tampa backer. Green Bay will have to prove to me that their D is for real. My upset call for the week was the Jags and the result turned out to be very upsetting! I was surprised to me several people take Washington over the Giants, and they almost pulled it out at the end.
    Good luck tonite for all remaining.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Cheers Al! 🍻

Back at ya Paul.

Was hoping to drive up from Atlanta for a visit to NH this Fall. We're kinda overdue for a road trip, and the Blue Ridge Parkway was calling, all 469 miles, but...
    Had reconstructive ankle surgery in July and am just now beginning to walk again. Totally painless from knocked out through 2 months of having a cast on...BUT, trying to walk again was not fun! Decided November was just too cold to try to enjoy home again. I have a relative in Nashua that just turned 87, hopefully I can make it up in the Spring to visit before I get the bad phone call.

Did you see Mookie's catches in right field?? Sad to see him in an LA uni, but he's still awesome.

Take care!
    Al

Al, glad to hear your doing well! Spring seems along ways away especially since I believe we will get a harsh winter while your enjoying better weather down South! Too bad you can’t enjoy the foliage up here but by November you would be looking at bare trees. I haven’t tuned into a single MLB game this year since the Sox were done even before the season started, maybe they will put some solid plAyers together soon! Stay safe and healthy my friend

@JRR300 said:
    I couldn't believe I was the only Tampa backer. Green Bay will have to prove to me that their D is for real. My upset call for the week was the Jags and the result turned out to be very upsetting! I was surprised to me several people take Washington over the Giants, and they almost pulled it out at the end.

Green Bay looked like a contender up until that putrid performance against Brady & Co in TAMPA 😏

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@JRR300 said:

Green Bay looked like a contender up until that putrid performance against Brady & Co in TAMPA 😏

No team is as good or bad as their last game

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

@galaxy27 said:
    amigos we are down to 4 who can take this thing down, and it's actually quite interesting:

if Dallas beats Arizona, the tiebreaker will decide the victor between 2dueces, MCMLVTopps, zippcity, and JRR300

if Arizona beats Dallas, the tiebreaker will bust up 2dueces, MCMLVTopps, and zippcity

but zippcity has to be praying for an Arizona win, as he is sandwiched right in between MCMLVTopps and JRR300 in the tiebreaker with no room to spare

remember, the person closest to the actual points total for both games wins

good luck to the fab 4!

That means everyone took Kansas City over Buffalo. Even this Buffalo homer. I’m so ashamed. 😢😞☹️

I think that 140 number seems a bit on the high side. Sorry to say with Dak out, it's logical the Cowboys will go to the run as much as possible and try to keep the clock running in a low scoring game.

Also usually a team defense steps it up in the next game after their star quarterback goes down. So the Dallas defense should have a good game which will further work to keep the score low.

But of course as we all know, logic doesn't always work in handicapping NFL games. LOL

4 teams scoring in the 30’s is not unreasonable looking at the way the defenses have been playing. Dallas gave up 34 to the Giants. Buffalo 42 to Tennessee. Chiefs 40.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

4 teams scoring in the 30’s is not unreasonable looking at the way the defenses have been playing. Dallas gave up 34 to the Giants. Buffalo 42 to Tennessee. Chiefs 40.

I'm thinking that with Dalton at the helm, Dallas will be more of a ground it out, take time off the clock team and that should hold down the score in that game. Who knows, it could be over after the first game if the CHIEFS have their way with Buffalo tonight; score so many points that the 140 total is a given.

@zippcity send me your email linked to paypal

Congrats to @zippcity

Great job zip

W.C.Fields

Great job @zippcity.

The odds on zippcity were 25-1 and he won 25 dollars.

Seems like karma to me. :)

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and a special thank you to galaxy27 for his time and effort putting together this contest. Just seeing the cowboys get pounded was a reward in itself.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

Congrats zippcity. I was close, but jut couldn't overcome those 100-1 odds. B)B)

Thanks again to galaxy27 for doing this.

thanks for playing fellas, and congrats again zip!

Congrats, ZIP. What a horrible game by the Cowgirls!!!!

@galaxy27
    This was fun! If you run it again next week I’ll donate the $25 prize money. If you decide to do it start a new thread for week 7.
    Joe

W.C.Fields

@2dueces i'm going to be out of town this coming weekend, but i bet our good friend @doubledragon wouldn't mind stepping up to the plate

@galaxy27 said:
    @2dueces i'm going to be out of town this coming weekend, but i bet our good friend @doubledragon wouldn't mind stepping up to the plate

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can barely crunch the numbers on the other picks thread.😂😂😂😂

I realize that I'm not one old the old timers on this site (although I am on old timer), but as an accountant who has crunched numbers all his life, something like this is child's play for one week. I'm game if you are interested.

@JRR300 said:
    I realize that I'm not one old the old timers on this site (although I am on old timer), but as an accountant who has crunched numbers all his life, something like this is child's play for one week. I'm game if you are interested.

That’s awesome. My offer still stands to pay the winner $25. It will be added incentive for me to win my own prize. 😂😂

W.C.Fields
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you galaxy and congrats to zippcity!

@2dueces said:

@JRR300 said:

That’s awesome. My offer still stands to pay the winner $25. It will be added incentive for me to win my own prize. 😂😂

OKAY. It looks like we're on. Picks must me sent to me by 11:45 Sunday morning. Let's see if we can get past the number of entrants from last week. Do you want me to list the games here for the Sunday and Monday lineup?

edited October 20, 2020 4:44PM

No. Start a new thread and cut and past the rules. Players can find a schedule and make their choices.

W.C.Fields
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 4:56PM

I'll enter this week. Took most of last week off of work and forgot to get my picks in plus I thought when I would have won someone would have cried foul for being buds with @galaxy27 and my only NFL knowledge the past few years being from this forum. :D

ETA: Can't let coin-siders sneak in and take the freerolls, I'm disappointed in all of my ST brethren :(

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    I'll enter this week. Took most of last week off of work and forgot to get my picks in plus I thought when I would have won someone would have cried foul for being buds with @galaxy27 and my only NFL knowledge the past few years being from this forum. :D

ETA: Can't let coin-siders sneak in and take the freerolls, I'm disappointed in all of my ST brethren :(

Larkin- the more the merrier! Being buds with galaxy, we wouldn't hold that against you. :D

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Congrats, ZIP. What a horrible game by the Cowgirls!!!!

Somewhere out there is a "DIMEMAN" crying.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Larkin- the more the merrier! Being buds with galaxy, we wouldn't hold that against you. :D

Watch out, it's my week.