Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The official MMOH O/S Thread . . . . (Moonlight Mint Open House over strike)

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 10, 2020 7:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Gents,

I've been wanting to start this thread for weeks. I have seen some AMAZING Moonlight Mint Open House over strikes in the "Dan Carr's latest" thread, but they are all spaced out across over 125 pages. It's hard to appreciate the variety and complexity of designs out there, separating the jewels from the Zirconia's . . . . if you will, I find the MMOH O/S in a league of their own.

So I'll begin with my MEAGER accumulation, thus far. Please post yours up, with year of minting and a description of the underlying coin / token.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Z

Starting with the most recent, and working towards my oldest.

2020 MM Open House double strike over a 1921-S Morgan Dollar

2014 MM Open House over strike on a 1882-S Morgan Dollar

2012 MM Open House lateral double strike over a Susan B. Anthony Dollar

2012 MM Open House over strike on a 40% Silver 1971-S Proof Ike Dollar

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 7:32PM

@Zoins , @Bullsitter , @Akbeez , @U1chicago , @LindyS , @COCollector , @renman95 , @GRANDAM , the bar is OPEN . . . . . .

Post them up!

I WAS chasing a 2013 for a while, but lost that one to an "esteemed member," and I really haven't seen many, if any 2016 MMOH O/S's in the wild at all.

Whaddaya got?

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

2018 (overstruck on a Fiji Dollar coin which I believe is the same as the example linked below).
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces78196.html

2020 (overstruck on a 1976 Ike Dollar)...waiting for it to arrive back from Anacs

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020 9:03AM

Great idea for a thread! I have many! Here are some.

2013 MMOH O/S 2001-D Daniel Carr Bessie Coleman Antiqued Concept Dollar

This is a very special piece because it's a "Carr on Carr" piece meaning one Daniel Carr piece overstruck another. I'm a big fan of Dan's prototype dollars so it more special for me given that it's overstruck an antiqued 2001-D Daniel Carr Bessie Coleman prototype dollar. I'd like to believe this is from Dan's personal collection because it was struck on an antiqued Bessie Coleman dollar and none were issued antiqued in the Moonlight Mint catalog, but Dan has indicated in the past that he hasn't always kept track of various finishes. I was able to pick it up in 2017, much later than the year of issue.

2013 MMOH O/S 2003 Illinois State Quarter - Double Denomination

I really like the way this is arranged with the word "QUARTER DOLLAR" under the Native American and how the bison is under the word "ILLINOIS". If the nickel die was a bit smaller and didn't cover "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" on the obverse it would be perfect, but I’m not complaining as it’s an awesome piece as is. The way it's designed with the "FIVE CENTS" on the buffalo nickel reverse, makes this a double denomination as well, which increases the appeal to me. There was some spirited bidding for this and ended up at an impressive price. The top two bidders were like 3x bidder number 3. Was number two anyone here?

2017 MMOH WWI Centennial Square Medals - Copper & Silver - Ex-Haimovitz

The story of this pair is that I had always wanted to get a pair of the 2017 Moonlight Mint Open House square tokens struck on square blanks and was happy that Benny offered them for sale. Benny was a big Dan Carr fan and helped forum collectors along. I didn't know it at the time, but this may have been the last order that he fulfilled, or one of he last, as his last login to the CU forums was on August 18, 2019, I purchased these from him on August 25, 2019 and he left us on September 21, 2019. I didn't know him like some here did but I feel fortunate to to have made this connection and let his memory live on.

RIP Benny.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038351/benny-haimovitz-rip

2018-D MMOH O/S 1974-S 40% Eisenhower Dollar - Off-Center Double Struck Error

The 2018 Open House medal is one of my favorites because it's essentially a Daniel Carr / Moonlight Mint Merchant Store Card Token with a pattern obverse. On the obverse is Dan's obverse for the 2018-D WW1 Centennial Concept Dollar Pattern Test Strikes. On the reverse is Dan's store card reverse with Dan's name, the Moonlight Mint name and the mint's website address. This particular piece is nice because it's an off-center double struck piece showing both dates and mint marks on the obverse. The reverse has Dan's store card center fully impressed. Additionally, it's very hard to see any of the undertype, either as an unstruck part of he coin or showing through the overstrike. There is a bit of the undertype showing through the sky above the soldier's shoulders, but it's hard to make out what it is and it's not dark or distracting. In hand the undertype looks like a few clouds over the shoulders. The obverse has a satin finish while the reverse is very reflective and looks proof-like to me. And it has a reeded edge. Overall, it's very hard to tell that this is an overstrike.

I'm actually not sure of any other pieces his reverse has been used with. Please post if you know of any!

2019 MMOH O/S 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar - ANACS MS68

Here's one of my recent favorites. I'm a big fan of space and Dan Carr's space themed coins ranging from his 2001 prototype dollar to his 2019 concept dollar and open house overstrikes. I had a 2019 half dollar struck with the 2019 Moonlight Mint Open House dies when I visited, but didn't have a 1964 half dollar so I got excited seeing it offered. I was interested in the 1964 half dollar coin because the moon landing missions were initiated by JFK and 1964 is the first year of his half dollar. There is something very fitting about that. In hand, the coin is very white, lustrous and reflective. There's quite a bit of art to doing overstrikes and Dan did a great job positioning this one to perfectly preserve the 1964 date with good padding. The obverse host coin is slightly dished while the reverse is flat. It's slabbed by ANACS as a MS68 with a printed signature. I still need a 1969 so if anyone has one, please let me know. I have a lot of Dan's astronaut moon landing coins now :)

2020 MMOH O/S 1890-CC Morgan Dollar - Ex-Carver

It's unusual to have an open house medal struck on a Carson City coin but it is fitting for 2020 as the MMOH dies are for the Carson City Mint Sesquicentennial. This coin has a nice antiqued look to it and the overstrike is nicely positioned with the Carson City Mint Sesquicentennial fitting nicely between "IN GOD WE TRUST" and the "CC" mint mark. This is a great piece done by Terry @USAROK.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 3:40AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    I really haven't seen many, if any 2016 MMOH O/S's in the wild at all.

These were commonly available a few years ago but seem to have dried up. I have a few but need to dig out some photos.

I wonder who has the one struck on a 1881 Liberty Head $5 gold piece? That sounds like a great piece!

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 7:11AM

@Zoins , I'm in awe over your contributions.

@U1chicago , that Fiji is ultra special too.

What I love about all of these pieces are the stories behind them and the fact that each one is totally unique, never to be duplicated again.

The only "backstory" I can offer on my pieces is that they are all "Ebay conquests." Unfortunately, that is all the record that I have.

Z

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 9:04AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    @Zoins , I'm in awe over your contributions.

@U1chicago , that Fiji is ultra special too.

What I love about all of these pieces are the stories behind them and the fact that each one is totally unique, never to be duplicated again.

The only "backstory" I can offer on my pieces is that they are all "Ebay conquests." Unfortunately, that is all the record that I have.

Z

Thanks! You have a great collection too! I agree that these are interesting to collect because they are all unique.

And don't worry about eBay conquests. You can create stories for coins purchased from anywhere. Most of my commentary is actually about the coin itself and what I enjoy about it. I adopted this approach after reading Alan Weinberg's detailed commentary on his pieces which includes his observation / evaluation of the coin along with stories of acquisition including people and price negotiation.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2020 12:23PM

Folks,

I just had this one arrive today. It is teaching me to be more careful in looking at photos on Ebay, especially at work when I am only able to access the site with my phone (they block Ebay with the firewall here).

Anyway, it is one of my favorite MMOH O/S, the 2014, and it was as reasonable as they get. That's the good.

The not so good is that this one has a little dot of corrosion and a small fingerprint on the obverse, and a bit of discoloration / stain on the reverse. I took these photos before it went into the acetone bath to see if the fingerprint and stain would be mitigated. The dot of corrosion I don't think much will help.

Anyway, the 2014 MMOH dies were overstruck onto a 2014-D Presidential Dollar coin. I can tell this from the edge lettering on the base coin. From the little bit of the original minting visible, it is pretty clear that this was a Warren G. Harding dollar as its base.

All in all, I am not unhappy with this one as I LOVE the design. It was a pretty inexpensive lesson overall.

Just because I am still infatuated with all things Carr, I will probably cross post in the main thread, just so y'all don't miss this. I still like having these assembled together here as well.

Enjoy. @Zoins , the narrative above is for you . . . . . .

Z (oh yeah, how do you like the new signature line?)

2014 MM Open House over strike on a 2014-D Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollar

• Options
    edited October 13, 2020 9:43PM

Here is a very subtle MMOH Over Strike. My first 2013. When I saw this one, I had to grab it up.

What is the host coin do you suppose?
    (Hint: it's a Buffalo nickel!)

2013 MM Open House O/S - mintage 1 of 150

• Options

Great pieces @ZoidMeister!

Your analysis of the coin is nice! The 2014 is nice because that's the oldest design he has for an open house piece. The area under the eagle's wing on the reverse is neat and I'll need to spend more time to figure out what it is.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2020 9:41PM

@Zoins said:
    Great pieces @ZoidMeister!

Your analysis of the coin is nice! The 2014 is nice because that's the oldest design he has for an open house piece. The area under the eagle's wing on the reverse is neat and I'll need to spend more time to figure out what it is.

Trying to learn from and follow the lead of the other "Z-man" on CU . . . . .

Z

• Options

Time to reactivate this thread. New a few additions.

Z

2015 MM Open House O/S of a Niue Island 60th Anniversary Elizabeth II Coronation Dollar - mintage 1 of 78

2017 MM Open House O/S of a Square Copper Planchet - mintage 1 of 60

2018 MM Open House O/S of a 1955 Franklin Half - mintage 1 of 100

(You can see a bit of Ben's forehead of the host coin below the chin of the soldier. The '55' of the date is visible in the hand, but didn't photograph.)

2018 MM Open House O/S of a 1921 Morgan Dollar - mintage 1 of 100

(The details of the underlying host coin on this one are phenominal. Liberty on the obverse, and the eagle on the reverse, all plainly visible.)

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 5:43AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    2018 MM Open House O/S of a 1921 Morgan Dollar - mintage 1 of 100

(The details of the underlying host coin on this one are phenominal. Liberty on the obverse, and the eagle on the reverse, all plainly visible.)

Wonderful piece @ZoidMeister! I love the strong undertype showing through on this one!

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new thread for me to bookmark. These are really cool. I hope to learn how they become available or how a person gets one made. So far I have not seen anything on the Moonlight Mint website regarding these.

Is there a place that shows what was created (like there is for all the other DC items)?

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    A new thread for me to bookmark. These are really cool. I hope to learn how they become available or how a person gets one made. So far I have not seen anything on the Moonlight Mint website regarding these.

Is there a place that shows what was created (like there is for all the other DC items)?

This is the link you seek.

Check the mintage figures.

Z

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_event_tokens_list.htm

• Options

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@pcgscacgold said:

This is the link you seek.

Check the mintage figures.

Z

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_event_tokens_list.htm

Great, thanks @ZoidMeister. I had seen that page before but didn't look close enough to see he lists what was used for the base coin with each token created. Really neat stuff. Not sure I will ever get out his way to do a tour.

• Options

2021 .MMOH O/S of a copper challenge coin.

• Options

2021 .MMOH Double O/S of a copper challenge coin.

• Options

2021 MMOH O/S of an 1881-S Morgan Dollar
    Ghosting of the host coin visible.

• Options

2021 MMOH Off Center O/S of a 1921-D Morgan Dollar.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    2021 .MMOH Double O/S of a copper challenge coin.

One house is full of Covid!

• Options

Great looking MMOH items @ZoidMeister You have been finding some great items lately.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Great looking MMOH items @ZoidMeister You have been finding some great items lately.

Yeah, but I'm pretty much tapped out at this point . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

This thread has been dormant for a while. I thought I would "wake it up" with a new addition or two . . . . . .

Anyone else have any unique Moonlight Mint Open House overstrikes? Post them here . . . . . .

Z

• Options

What the heck is wrong with me . . . . ?

You'll be hearing that a LOT I am thinking . . . . . .

Evidence of the "problem" below . . . . . .

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file