Home Precious Metals

Big profits buying scrap precious metals

logger7logger7 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a coin and precious metals dealer earlier in the week. He said that most of his profits were from buying scrap precious metals. Dillon Gage used to say they would pay 99% of melt on gold. But due to a court ruling only deal with Texas instate dealers. Why is buying scrap so profitable even with relatively fair buyers?

Comments

  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would think it’s so profitable becase of the large volume they are handeling which turns into high dollar amount of profits.

    Young Numismatist/collector
    73 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 44 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just as @Kliao said, volume increases profit... Think one ring vs. one hundred rings....Cheers, RickO

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

    All metal is sharp and can cut deep. I worked on 18-20% margins in metal contracting. In precious metals they're 3%. Want to buy a coin shop ? I'll get back on the roof or sell cars off the showroom floor.

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It depends on their buy prices. If they are paying 60% of melt, that is very profitable.

  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @logger7 said:
    It depends on their buy prices. If they are paying 60% of melt, that is very profitable.

    It can also be equally profitable at 80%. Just need to buy more material to achieve the same dollar amount of profit. It’s all numbers. If it’s a large well established shop I would expect them to pay a higher rate because they’ll mostly likely gets lots of people wanted to sell.

    Young Numismatist/collector
    73 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 44 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kliao said:

    @logger7 said:
    It depends on their buy prices. If they are paying 60% of melt, that is very profitable.

    It can also be equally profitable at 80%. Just need to buy more material to achieve the same dollar amount of profit. It’s all numbers. If it’s a large well established shop I would expect them to pay a higher rate because they’ll mostly likely gets lots of people wanted to sell.

    and there's the reasoning behind 3% ... for an established honest shop....

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Locally we pay 75% of melt on over the counter small buys. However if they are established with us or bring in volume I have paid 90% over the counter. Members here I have done 95% in personal dealings. Tomorrow I will be melting down about 265ozt of scrap jewelry. I could make it into one bar but for better assays I like to do 40 oz bars. It also allows me to ability to separate certain materials so that I can get paid on the small amounts of Pt and Pd that the lot might hold. Another great money maker in scrap is melee diamonds. Easily overlooked, but can provide great side income if you know what your doing.

  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yup, all those faded dreams and broken hearts go right into the melting pot..

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Most of its due to upgrades, resizing, out of style, or just worn out. Wedding sets are small.

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Also occasionally there may be jewelry with pedigrees and other "scrap" worth more than that. And all the gems....an ethical shop would not buy what they can't do an accurate appraisal of, but many do.

  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Jinx86 said:
    Locally we pay 75% of melt on over the counter small buys. However if they are established with us or bring in volume I have paid 90% over the counter. Members here I have done 95% in personal dealings. Tomorrow I will be melting down about 265ozt of scrap jewelry. I could make it into one bar but for better assays I like to do 40 oz bars. It also allows me to ability to separate certain materials so that I can get paid on the small amounts of Pt and Pd that the lot might hold. Another great money maker in scrap is melee diamonds. Easily overlooked, but can provide great side income if you know what your doing.

    Hopefully there will be a video?? :p

    He who knows he has enough is rich.

  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @philographer
    I tend to work solo. Limits the amount of videos I could do. That and I dont know if I even like the sound of my own voice. Why subject others to suffering?

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I was at a coin shop today, one that I believe is good and ethical; but when a couple came in with a 1924 St. Gaudens, one of the employees, "Mike", said that because the coin has 90% gold and 10% copper they were only paying on the 90% gold, around $1550. It would have been more honest had Mike said they buy 10% behind the gold spot price. Also the discussion and back and forth mentioned a couple copper spots and likely rub, making the coin an AU58 with copper spots. Worth more than $1550 IMO. However I would not want to be tying up a lot of money on gold and other precious metals.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kliao said:

    @logger7 said:
    It depends on their buy prices. If they are paying 60% of melt, that is very profitable.

    It can also be equally profitable at 80%. Just need to buy more material to achieve the same dollar amount of profit. It’s all numbers. If it’s a large well established shop I would expect them to pay a higher rate because they’ll mostly likely gets lots of people wanted to sell.

    People can only sell what they have once, then the marketplace is empty. No more sellers means no more profits.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I hadn't actually been buying much scrap as of late , monday, a dude brought in a huge bag of 14kt jewelry. Wanted cash, no paper trail, etc, very pushy for me to buy it also, I passed, just felt like something wasnt right, legally couldnt have bought it anyway with no id. Hard to pass up a 2500 profit, but better to be safe and legit.

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Laws and licenses exist for a reason, I have seen shop owners go to jail for circumventing the laws. We are seeing out of state dealers coming to set up at instate shows without following the laws. Just wait until the government does its job as we have an epidemic of thefts and stolen items getting fenced. Cops don't do proper oversight of pawn shops and buyers from what I've seen.

  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I appreciate everyone that posted. I learned something new.

    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

    Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
Sign In or Register to comment.