Home Sports Talk
Options

Whitey Ford R.I.P.

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brock, Gibson, and now Ford. Wow.

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and Seaver and Kaline. So many Hall-of-Famers have died this year.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

All gone.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    ...and Seaver and Kaline. So many Hall-of-Famers have died this year.

Along with rock and rolls greatest drummer and guitarist (according to some), and we still have two months left in this one of a kind year.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

May he Rest In Peace.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last of “the hell raising triumvirate,” Ford, Billy Martin and Mickey Mantle. Martin had to go to preserve the other two.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sister and brother-in-law who lived in Florida, thru a mutual friend with George Steinbrenner in horse racing, made reservations to sit with George in his owner's box at a Yankees spring training game. They brought their young son with them, i think he was around 8 years old at the time.

Well i had previously told my nephew some stories about those great Yankees teams with Whitey, Mickey, Yogi, etc. And he and Steinbrenner throughout the entire game talked nothing but baseball, and George must have brought up some conversation about those old time Yankees greats as well.

Well sometime during the game, Whitey Ford happened to be there, and walked over to the owner's box, took out a baseball, and signed it for my nephew. He was absolutely thrilled. To this day, it's still his most cherished piece of sports memorabilia.

RIP Whitey.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    My sister and brother-in-law who lived in Florida, thru a mutual friend with George Steinbrenner in horse racing, made reservations to sit with George in his owner's box at a Yankees spring training game. They brought their young son with them, i think he was around 8 years old at the time.

Well i had previously told my nephew some stories about those great Yankees teams with Whitey, Mickey, Yogi, etc. And he and Steinbrenner throughout the entire game talked nothing but baseball, and George must have brought up some conversation about those old time Yankees greats as well.

Well sometime during the game, Whitey Ford happened to be there, and walked over to the owner's box, took out a baseball, and signed it for my nephew. He was absolutely thrilled. To this day, it's still his most cherished piece of sports memorabilia.

RIP Whitey.

that is a great story. thanks for sharing that. RIP Whitey

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is such a shame we have lost so many HOFers this year. it has been a tough year in many regards

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    it is such a shame we have lost so many HOFers this year. it has been a tough year in many regards

Oh no, not another Hall of Famer.
    https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30100016/baseball-hall-famer-joe-morgan-dies-77