Home U.S. Coin Forum

The importance of stickers cannot be overstated...

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 9, 2020 6:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just making sure no one misses the bean! ;)

Comments

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Just making sure no one misses the bean! ;)

It's where the value is.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2020 10:01PM

I have plenty of coins with Green CAC’s, and I dream of Gold CAC’s. But if you scroll back up to the original post and look close at the main description, you’ll see that apparently this coin is priced just under $40,000 due to it having the rarest of all CAC’s, a Red CAC! 😂

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheers, RickO

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

Cheers, RickO

Is that "Slap my head?"

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm.... No... Shaking My Head..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Speaking of stickers.....my granddaughter and I were playing outside recently and she was straying too close I thought to a nasty stickerbush (that my wife picked out at the nursery and now wants me to remove it, lol) and I said "Be careful of the stickerbush."
    I felt guilty later but my statement led her to start rummaging through the bush to look for, you guessed it, stickers (like happy face, pumpkins, etc.)
    My wife wasn't too happy when she asked me why I was pulling thorns out of the little ones fingers and hands.
    Oops.
    The look on her face had me confused for a second or two -- it was pure joy, cause who knew you could just find cool stickers in bushes?-- until I related to how a three year old would think.
    Later in even my wife thought it was kind of funny.
    (No children were seriously harmed in this semi-debacle.)😊

There was a sticker bush at the end of my block that I had conflicts with many times when I was learning to ride my bicycle!

All glory is fleeting.
  • DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spilling the beans (pun intended). It's interesting to note that Certified Acceptance Corporation (CAC) has no trademark protection on their "stylized CAC sticker" nor company name after reviewing the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) on 10/10/2020. I'm not advocating that someone actually replicate the "stylized CAC sticker". However, the CAC hologram sticker does not match their CAC registered trademark (uses standard character mark) and is open to challenge from unscrupulous individuals.

_Disclosure: I am not a trademark lawyer. I just have experience in obtaining a trademark that is placed in an oval hologram sticker that fits on an NGC slab. _

I expected to see their stylized CAC bean trademark on TESS.

Here is another company with its stylized CAC trademark and TESS description.

The different bean colors are also not registered as a trademark...

edited October 10, 2020 8:42AM

@DrDarryl said:
    ... I'm not advocating that someone actually replicate the "stylized CAC sticker". However, the CAC hologram sticker does not match their CAC registered trademark (uses standard character mark) and is open to challenge from unscrupulous individuals....

Actually, this comment does indeed promote the potential for harm to our hobby from unscrupulous individuals. It's not like bad people would have easily thought of this on their own without the above comment. Not nice! >:)

EDIT - It's like posting instructions for constructing an explosive device, and then saying that it's not advocating for someone to actually follow those instructions. Not nice!!!!!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven Overwrought concern, IMO.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@DrDarryl said:
    ... I'm not advocating that someone actually replicate the "stylized CAC sticker". However, the CAC hologram sticker does not match their CAC registered trademark (uses standard character mark) and is open to challenge from unscrupulous individuals....

Actually, this comment does indeed promote the potential for harm to our hobby from unscrupulous individuals. It's not like bad people would have easily thought of this on their own without the above comment. Not nice! >:)

EDIT - It's like posting instructions for constructing an explosive device, and then saying that it's not advocating for someone to actually follow those instructions. Not nice!!!!!

It was more of an observation and a warning rather than a suggestion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:

It was more of an observation and a warning rather than a suggestion.

A warning could have been sent directly to CAC. What's positive about posting it here? Absolutely nothing.

edited October 10, 2020 9:08AM

G & S (as mentioned in the TESS) stands for goods and services. The "stylized CAC hologram sticker" is a service mark. CAC provides a service (and not goods).

The company that makes the CAC hologram sticker will require evidence (trademark certificate or other documentation) that they own the trademark/servicemark before they manufacture (from my experience with a US hologram manufacturer).

The CAC hologram sticker should also follow the USPTO guidelines by placing a service mark symbol ℠ or ( SM ) or

Service mark placement near the stylized CAC (example is the Circle R seen in the McDonald's logo) to indicated its an USPTO registered service mark

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

And there is this one:

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:
    And there is this one:

Is that poorly placed sticker covering "Thin" or "Thick"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sticker will stick with it through thick and thin. > @PerryHall said:

@burfle23 said:
    And there is this one:

The sticker will stick with you through thick and thin.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

:# Somebody blow it up! >:)

@winesteven said:

@DrDarryl said:

@PerryHall said:

@burfle23 said:
    And there is this one:

Interesting observation @PerryHall ! Look up the cert numbers when you get a chance.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:

@PerryHall said:

@burfle23 said:
    And there is this one:

Interesting observation @PerryHall ! Look up the cert numbers when you get a chance.

Cert isn’t valid anymore.

@Zoins said:

@burfle23 said:

@PerryHall said:

@burfle23 said:
    And there is this one:

Cert isn’t valid anymore.

And there is that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file