Home Sports Talk
Options

A truly sad day...

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether it’s Willie Mays dropping a pop up in the World Series with the Mets, watching Tiger Woods lose a Sunday lead or watching Michael Jordan play basketball in a Wizards uniform, there’s a moment when you’re just sad watching someone who used to be great become average right before your eyes:

I don’t think he’s the GOAT at QB...

...but he was definitely the goat at QB last night.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'll play devil's advocate and say when you start spiking the ball, the potential is there for things to get a little hazy in your head

imagine hardly ANYONE knowing what down it really is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZvY8h6xbY

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to be some great athletes had to hang on and continue playing for a number of various reasons. Could have been business ventures gone sour, divorce and alimony payments, gambling problems, or other assorted issues.

But now with all the huge money they make throughout their careers, it's very difficult to go broke. Even if they did, they could still make a good living doing autograph shows, selling their signed memorabilia on a website, speaking engagements, books, etc.

So what i'm saying is frankly, there's no reason for Tom Brady to be playing football at this point in his life. Even if he doesn't get a physical injury permanently affecting his body below his neck, this CTE thing can always be present and gets worse with every hit.

What good is the money and fame, if your brain can't even compute 1+1?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone has a brain fart on occasion. Brady has shown he is at the top of the list when considering the GOAT. This mental mistake doesn't take anything away from his tremendous career. I remember when Mike Tomczak was the Buckeye QB. Bucks down to I believe Purdue. They need to score to come from behind. They also were running out of time. Mike takes the snap and quickly throws the ball out of bounds to stop the clock. It was fourth down. Tomczak went on to have a successful lengthy career in the NFL, mostly as a backup.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here, this is for the Brady haters. He's holding up 4 fingers with both hands. 😂😂😂😂

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon

Check your pinky’s, Tommy!!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh please. Is this going to be a play by play bashing of the GOAT? If he never threw another pass or he threw 10 interceptions in a row he is the GOAT. When you bounce your grandchildren on your knee in your extreme old age you’ll tell them stories of how you were around and saw him play. And this comes from a life long Bills fans that was owned by Tom Brady.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The title is “a truly sad day”. It takes me to a time of true sadness. A time when people watched in horror as to what was happening right before their own eyes. A place where the heart was broken, and disbelief was in their mind. It was so painful that they either couldn’t watch, or had to leave the park. That “truly sad day” happened in a Game 7 at Yankee stadium when Kevin Brown was beaten like a rented mule, and the loyal fans hearts were forever broken. Truly a sad day indeed.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he has played very well this season, and as I said in another thread I think that there is a possibility that he was concussed.