Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay killing API Access for Sales History on 10/15

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay is killing the API, the only way you can find sold for information after 10/15 is terapeak and you need to have an eBay store to have that. 130point.com and similar sites will no longer work.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea why ebay would want to hide this information. Aren't actual and accurate sale prices beneficial for all?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm actually surprised it took this long. imagine them providing their own pay-for platform in the near future in addition to boosting store subscriptions.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    I have no idea why ebay would want to hide this information. Aren't actual and accurate sale prices beneficial for all?

They are, so they will surely try to make some $ on this one.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Completely agree. I’ve never understood why eBay did this. Then again, they have a history of doing shady stuff.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that mean the PSA Auction Prices Realized tool will no longer be available?

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

An uncertain selling environment favors eBay. Generally speaking, the uncertainty will cause listings to be under-priced or over-priced. The under-priced items will get snatched up quickly and resold at a more accurate price. The over-priced ones will eventually sell at the original asking price or slightly below if the seller is willing to reduce the price gradually. Regardless, eBay sees increased closing fees on their bottom line.

eBay has gradually been making this change for over a year and this is the final nail. Make no mistake, eBay cares most about how the changes benefit eBay.

Jason

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a money making move. I am sure they will offer a subscription based service or piggy back it onto upper level store purchases. why give away for free what people will pay money for

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Does that mean the PSA Auction Prices Realized tool will no longer be available?

Depends if PSA is able to get access to the Marketplace Insights API mentioned in the correspondence above.

Thanks,

Jason

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why should eBay provide this proprietary data to third party services to monetize? Good business decision, data is gold.

RIP VCP.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Why should eBay provide this proprietary data to third party services to monetize? Good business decision, data is gold.

RIP VCP.

They should make it free on the site. Having that info readily available will help facilitate more transactions.

Mike
  • Options

I think places like VCP, PSA and PWCC will still have access to the data.

• Options

here's a cool trick:

go to "see original listing" page

right click, click "view page source"

hit (ctrl+f) together, type "taxexc".

will display the offer accepted*

*keep in mind, this is pre-tax

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Guess alot more members on here will be asking for past sales.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Wow. Guess alot more members on here will be asking for past sales.

Sounds like APR will still be up. So that is nice. We’ll see after 10/15..

• Options

Sometimes I wonder if ebay is run by real Tech people. Look at bitcoin and other transaction tech, an open price history increases the value of the exchange. The trend is MORE price info not less. If this is all about getting another fee, ebay is being penny wise.

Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    here's a cool trick:

go to "see original listing" page

right click, click "view page source"

hit (ctrl+f) together, type "taxexc".

will display the offer accepted*

*keep in mind, this is pre-tax

Yep, this is how I look up prices. You can also type "bin" and find it as well

• Options

So was this data actually cut off? Looks to me like nothing has changed..

https://130point.com/sales/

• Options

eBay changed the underlying API structure and restricted who could access the data to eBay-approved business need. Maybe 130point.com applied and was given approval.

Jason

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    Sometimes I wonder if ebay is run by real Tech people. Look at bitcoin and other transaction tech, an open price history increases the value of the exchange. The trend is MORE price info not less. If this is all about getting another fee, ebay is being penny wise.

I disagree, this is proprietary data that has real value, they should be aggressively trying to monetize it.

Ask Shopify, Amazon or Square if you can have their sales data for free. All real tech companies that know what their data is worth.

I do completely agree with your first sentence, and frankly can't stand eBay. My issue is with lack of support, for a tech company they have incredibly limited access to support.

• Options

@80sOPC said:

@ndleo said:

I disagree, this is proprietary data that has real value, they should be aggressively trying to monetize it.

Ask Shopify, Amazon or Square if you can have their sales data for free. All real tech companies that know what their data is worth.

I do completely agree with your first sentence, and frankly can't stand eBay. My issue is with lack of support, for a tech company they have incredibly limited access to support.

The tech companies you listed aren't the same thing as ebay. I do not expect companies that sell retail products to provide pricing data, that is their competitive advantage. How does limiting access to the price history help Ebay? They don't care what the price is as long as they get their cut. Every auction venue offers some type of historical pricing on their site. Do they do that because they are nice guys? No, they do it because it helps sales. Price transparency helps the market, that is a proven fact. Trying to sell access to that data for a few buck is short sighted for ebay. Using that data to increase transaction prices is what they should be doing.

Mike
  • Options

Yup having only Beckett for prices were the good times. PWCC keeps historical prices for all their auctions on their site and it keeps the prices down. I better email Brett so he can correct his mistake.

This doesn't seem to matter anymore since blurryface gave out the magic key.

Mike
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I missing something here? I can still see sales history on eBay on the app and on my computer. The change that was supposed to take place on October 15th was that just for other websites accessing the data?

Shane

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    eBay is killing the API, the only way you can find sold for information after 10/15 is terapeak and you need to have an eBay store to have that. 130point.com and similar sites will no longer work.

Just wanted to mention 130point.com is still working for me. Here's a recent lookup:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13448173/#Comment_13448173

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@NGS428 said:

Just wanted to mention 130point.com is still working for me. Here's a recent lookup:

as much as I love 130point, its not always accurate. one thing terapeak shows that 130point doesnt, is that the item was actually paid for and truly sold. I give 130point credit, as it does usually show the accurate best offer price of stuff ive purchased and sold, but to know it was really paid for and not just a shammed auction, terapeak works better.

by the way, you bumped a 3 year old thread.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

@Zoins said:

@NGS428 said:

as much as I love 130point, its not always accurate. one thing terapeak shows that 130point doesnt, is that the item was actually paid for and truly sold. I give 130point credit, as it does usually show the accurate best offer price of stuff ive purchased and sold, but to know it was really paid for and not just a shammed auction, terapeak works better.

Good to know. I've been starting to use 130point but it's good to know about the differences with Terapeak.

by the way, you bumped a 3 year old thread.

Understood. I'm still getting a feel for this forum. I appreciated the context of this thread and thought it was worth keeping for the discussion. It's done on other forums here, but if it's not acceptable here, just let me know.