Home U.S. Coin Forum

Probably my oldest find for a penny.

Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2020 1:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Too bad its dateless. :( Thinking it's a 1909. can u nickadate a penny lol

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2020 1:17PM

If the 3rd digit is a zero then there's no reason to nic-a-date. Looks like it is. Got a pic of the reverse?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    If the 3rd digit is a zero then there's no reason to nic-a-date. Looks like it is. Got a pic of the reverse?

posted

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2020 2:22PM

Yeah, but if the third digit is a fourth digit and thus a 1910 you still have a cool find.

I can faintly see a 9 after the somewhat 0. Hard to show in picture. I'm calling it a 1909 :) dont have one in the album

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

New or old, it’s still a cent.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

is it a PO-01?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • @ms70 said:

What exactly does nic-a-date mean?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2020 4:09PM

acid, commonly used on dateless buff nickels to show the date

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old one.

@MsMorrisine said:

hydrogen peroxide and vinegar works. But the value of the coin is pretty much useless.> @Bkins1880 said:

@ms70 said:

hydrogen peroxide and vinegar works. But the value of the coin is pretty much useless.

• @Coin_nut1977 said:

@MsMorrisine said:

hydrogen peroxide and vinegar works. But the value of the coin is pretty much useless.> @Bkins1880 said:

@ms70 said:

hydrogen peroxide and vinegar works. But the value of the coin is pretty much useless.

It's useless because of that process or it already was?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recieved a1918 in change last week. So you beat me on that one, Joey Baby. But....a year ago or so I got a nice vf 1900 cent back in change at the local gas-'em-up. Unfortunately, little Hydrantette Jenny got a hold of that one and now only she knows where it is. And since she's only 2, she's not cooperating with Papa on finding it.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Hydrant said:
    I recieved a1918 in change last week. So you beat me on that one, Joey Baby. But....a year ago or so I got a nice vf 1900 cent back in change at the local gas-'em-up. Unfortunately, little Hydrantette Jenny got a hold of that one and now only she knows where it is. And since she's only 2, she's not cooperating with Papa on finding it.

Did you check her diaper? :D

VF BN

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find @Coin_nut1977 .
    I have yet to find a 1909 Lincoln, VDB or otherwise.
    The odds of finding a 1909 are very very very much against you.

• @mannie gray said:

Why is that?

• JimWJimW Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭

How about nic-a-vdb for the reverse? ;)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2020 5:31PM

I found in a roll a 1909 VDB in a dirty XF. Couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the date and was even more amazed when I saw the VDB. Filled a hole in my book. Wasn’t even in a collection dump, just in an ordinary customer wrapped roll. And no this was not fifty years ago... I am only 16, I found it this spring before the coin shortage and covid.

@Bkins1880 said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@ms70 said:

It's useless because of that process or it already was?

You take alot of value away from a coin. meaning probably 40% I'm guessing. Just like cleaning a coin. I'm not an expert. just from others telling me not to clean the coin!

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    I found in a roll a 1909 VDB in a dirty XF. Couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the date and was even more amazed when I saw the VDB. Filled a hole in my book. Wasn’t even in a collection dump, just in an ordinary customer wrapped roll. And no this was not fifty years ago... I am only 16, I found it this spring before the coin shortage and covid.

Nice!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bkins1880 said:

@mannie gray said:

Why is that?

Think about (literally) coins as vehicles of commerce.
    How many 1909 roadsters did you pass on the highway today?
    Most people ignore their change...but even so, and even with searching through rolls, it is hard enough to find a wheat cent in change these days.
    The most recent wheat cent is now 62 years old.
    Not many 1958 cars on the road.

It is most unusual to find any cent in circulation before 1940.
    Before 1930, multiples harder.
    Teens and twenties....harder still, though the occasional 1918 or especially 1919 pops up once in a great while.
    That is only because the mintage in 1919 was very high....without looking it up, I would guess well over 300 million.
    1909 is a very tough circ. find.
    I have never found one and have been looking for over 50 years.

@JimW said:
    How about nic-a-vdb for the reverse? ;) Smooth! Probably wouldn't show if I tried .Darn!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Did you check her diaper? :D

No I did not. Didn't think of it. Either way that penny wasn't worth THAT much. You are funny my friend.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cent has been serving our country's commerce for a very long time regardless of its date.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Nice old one.

:o

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a worn 1909 in change last year....was really surprised...I keep all the old cents I find. Still get wheaties in change at least once a month... I also check the 'take a cent, leave a cent' tray....actually, that is where I often find a wheatie. Cheers, RickO

edited October 7, 2020 12:17PM

@ricko said:
    I found a worn 1909 in change last year....was really surprised...I keep all the old cents I find. Still get wheaties in change at least once a month... I also check the 'take a cent, leave a cent' tray....actually, that is where I often find a wheatie. Nice! Found some wheaties that way also :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file