Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cuartillos

I noted with interest that some major catalogue is being published for Spanish Colonials and Republics. Is there any interest from Forum members? New works cataloging numismatica always catch my eye. For reference, see World Coin News, October 2020.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I am not mistaken, the cost of the book is something like $600 which is a bit...excessive.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, maybe, but I have noticed that major comprehensive catalogues such as this one always are pricey. Possibly because of private printing?

DPOTD
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    If I am not mistaken, the cost of the book is something like $600 which is a bit...excessive.

How much did you just spend on coins???

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

Enough to pay for my first house in cash plus my old Volkswagen Jetta

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

I won’t hesitate to spend $600+ on a book if I want it and think it will hold its value. And I do want this one. The problem is, he’s announced a printing of 500 copies, which leads me to believe he will be forced to drop his price dramatically at some point. I just don’t think that the market will take more than a couple dozen copies at his price. But I truly hope I’m wrong!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

Enough to pay for my first house in cash plus my old Volkswagen Jetta

Of course MrEureka likes my post :)

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@Boosibri said:

I won’t hesitate to spend $600+ on a book if I want it and think it will hold its value. And I do want this one. The problem is, he’s announced a printing of 500 copies, which leads me to believe he will be forced to drop his price dramatically at some point. I just don’t think that the market will take more than a couple dozen copies at his price. But I truly hope I’m wrong!

The market absorbed the John J Ford Franklin Hoard book at that high price. I saw one in your library. And I have one in mine. How many were printed, maybe 100?

So I agree 500 copies is a bit much. KInda doubtful he will sell more than a handful in all of Latin America.

Can someone please point me to the press release on the web? I haven't read that World Coin News rag in years.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@MrEureka said:

@Boosibri said:

The market absorbed the John J Ford Franklin Hoard book at that high price. I saw one in your library. And I have one in mine. How many were printed, maybe 100?

So I agree 500 copies is a bit much. KInda doubtful he will sell more than a handful in all of Latin America.

Can someone please point me to the press release on the web? I haven't read that World Coin News rag in years.

Actually, I think Karl had to sell off a pile of unsold copies at "remainder" levels. Sad but true.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really do not know what this book is... any help will be appreciated.

• Options

I came across an ad in World Coin News, October 2020. An Emilio Ortiz is publishing a 2 volume catalogue detailing "almost the totality of Cuartillos ever struck" during the Spanish Colonial period and the subsequent republic period.

DPOTD
  • Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

Does this soon-to-be book have an actual title yet? Zero info on Google that I find...

Is this the 1991 Swiss Bank sale guy??

• Options

@realeswatcher said:
    Does this soon-to-be book have an actual title yet? Zero info on Google that I find...

I had the same question to myself

• Options

The title may be, "Spanish Colonial and Republican Cuartillos of the New World, a Detailed Catalogue."

DPOTD
  • Options

@realeswatcher said:

Yes.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Is this considered a Cuartillo? Can you tell me anything about it like where it was minted and where it circulated?

• Options

The book was available at FUN for $395, including postage. At that level, it might actually sell!

Andy Lustig