Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020-W Marsh Billings Quarter Has Been Found!

WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well since no one else made a post on this I figured I would. I waited until our host posted the article on their website since I was one of the co-winners!😎🥇🥇🥇🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♂️

Comments

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTG!! Nice coin too! :)

Ken
  • Options

Thank you!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch fred wtg

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... Those of you finding these in the wild are doing great....I will probably look for the next ten years before one shows up in this area. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks guys!

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭

Good job K . Your persistence paid off.

The mint finally figured out how to distribute these coins to different areas of the country this time around. They should try distributing them throughout the whole run of the quarters and not to just a few areas off the country if they want to do things the right way. This would solve the problem of a few people getting all the W quarters and most people getting none.

• Options

Does anybody think that it is right for anybody to receive 5000 W quarters and others none as has happened in past issues? I admit I received more than my share of them in earlier batches but it was not the right way for them to be distributed. How did they let people get many rolls of these coins to sell? Coincidence ! I don't think so. What are your thoughts on this?

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

Nice and congratulations.
    What area of the country?

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Good job K . Your persistence paid off.

The mint finally figured out how to distribute these coins to different areas of the country this time around. They should try distributing them throughout the whole run of the quarters and not to just a few areas off the country if they want to do things the right way. This would solve the problem of a few people getting all the W quarters and most people getting none.

Thank you sir!😎👍

• Options

@baddogss said:

@baddogss said:

If I knew that I would have many of the Marsh quarters. They need to figure out how to get them into the WHOLE distribution system and not into general areas if they want to do things right. That way everybody gets a shot at them. You can't tell me it is impossible to figure out how to do this if they wanted to.

• Options

@baddogss said:

Thank you! I live in Maryland

• Options

And I live in New Mexico which was one of the 33 areas of the country that received most of the W's yup to this last one being distributed differently.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2020 8:26PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Does anybody think that it is right for anybody to receive 5000 W quarters and others none as has happened in past issues? I admit I received more than my share of them in earlier batches but it was not the right way for them to be distributed. How did they let people get many rolls of these coins to sell? Coincidence ! I don't think so. What are your thoughts on this?

I didn't get any W quarters in the mail from the mint. I did however go out and find them, sparsely scattered in boxes and in rolls. Getting rolls from the banks is simply a matter of asking for them. For every W found I searched through at least 500 quarters to find it. I don't know of anyone who was prevented from doing the same, were you? Sure, it takes effort, the mint's not gonna just send them to you.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulation! I got mine today, Good start of October.

• Options

Found some Vermonters:

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    Found some Vermonters:

Nice looking quarters! Congratulations!

• Options
    edited October 2, 2020 8:53AM

double post

• Options

@derryb said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

I didn't get any W quarters in the mail from the mint. I did however go out and find them, sparsely scattered in boxes and in rolls. Getting rolls from the banks is simply a matter of asking for them. For every W found I searched through at least 500 quarters to find it. I don't know of anyone who was prevented from doing the same, were you? Sure, it takes effort, the mint's not gonna just send them to you.

You are so wrong and quite frankly very arrogant! Tommyrusty7 was simply expressing his frustration about not being able to find any Marsh Billings and expressing his opinion about how the Fed is distributing the 2020-W quarters. He was asking for other opinions but yours is just so wrong.

What bothers me most about your post is how you claim all one has to do is go to a bank and ask to buy a box. WRONG! This year many of us have been unable to get a box of quarters due to COVID-19 restrictions that closed bank lobbies so the banks stopped selling boxes to non-commercial account holders. Then the coin shortage hit and even if a bank has an open lobby they usually do not have coins to spare.

No one cares that you had to look through so many quarters to find a W. You should be grateful you are fortunate enough to get rolled coins. Quite frankly you should apologize to Tommyrusty7 for making it sound like he didn't find any because he doesn't try hard enough.

I know for a fact he has been trying very hard and is frustrated over not being able to find any while people like you have found more than most of us just to sell them and then brag about how hard you work to find W quarters.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2020 9:32AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@derryb said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

You are so wrong and quite frankly very arrogant! Tommyrusty7 was simply expressing his frustration about not being able to find any Marsh Billings and expressing his opinion about how the Fed is distributing the 2020-W quarters. He was asking for other opinions but yours is just so wrong.

If you'll read his post again, you will see that his frustration is driven by his belief that the distribution is unfair. I simply stated that it is fair, one only has to make an effort to get new, uncirc. W quarters. The more effort, the more coin rolls. If my unwillingness to agree with Tommy that the method of distribution is unfair is simply arrogance, then so be it. The method of distribution is exactly the same as it has been for decades when it comes to getting new mint coinage into circulation. Salting normally distributed coins with limited, special coins (the W's) before rolling is the only fair way to get them into to the public.

You have stated numerous times how you drive from bank to bank buying quarter boxes all day which most people can't do because they have a job that prevents them from driving around all day. Also, you are fortunate to have enough money to buy that many boxes at one time. Many of us do not.

You obviously are referring to my posts in many of the other W quarter threads where I shared my results giving advice and suggestions to others about how to best get new rolls of quarters, some of whom I'm sure are my competition in selling them. Yes I devote time and resources to acquiring coins (it is a hobby and this is a coin forum) and yes I try to be helpful to others who wish to do the same.

What bothers me most about your post is how you claim all one has to do is go to a bank and ask to buy a box. WRONG! This year many of us have been unable to get a box of quarters due to COVID-19 restrictions that closed bank lobbies so the banks stopped selling boxes to non-commercial account holders. Then the coin shortage hit and even if a bank has an open lobby they usually do not have coins to spare.

Well, one does have to go to a bank to buy a box. The lack of available boxes affects ALL that want them, including me. I'm down from 25 boxes a week Pre-Covid to four a week now. Although they are very limited they are still out there for those willing to make the extra effort. And if you know anything about finding these W's, about only one in ten boxes will have new coins with W's.

No one cares that you had to look through so many quarters to find a W. You should be grateful you are fortunate enough to get rolled coins. Quite frankly you should apologize to Tommyrusty7 for making it sound like he didn't find any because he doesn't try hard enough.

It was a statement to show that it takes work to get the W's. They are not manna from heaven. And the fact is the more effort one puts into finding bank rolls, the more bank rolls one finds. If a bank won't sell you a box, buy what rolls you can.

I know for a fact he has been trying very hard and is frustrated over not being able to find any while people like you have found more than most of us just to sell them and then brag about how hard you work.

It is hard work. I'm frustrated as well that coin distribution is limited. But, I do not blame the distribution system as does Tommy. I blame the FED for putting the "shortage" fear into the banks, a fear that will not easily be reversed. While you don't seem to realize it is hard work, Tommy obviously does.

Unlike you and Tommy I believe the cup is half full of coins, not half empty.

• Options

I don't begrudge anyone finding them, Period. I don't even begrudge the Fed for not getting them distributed evenly early on as I found more than my share. I am just saying that the mint should have put more effort into mixing these coins in with more of the non W's so more people had a chance of finding them. At 81 years old I am not going to worry about how many more I find or don't find. If I want more than I am finding I can afford to buy whatever I need if I decide that is what I want to do and I am not going to get in my car and drive around all day looking for them. If that is all you have to do I feel for you but can't quite reach you. Good luck in your search.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2020 9:47AM

@derryb said:

It is hard work. I'm frustrated as well that coin distribution is limited. But, I do not blame the distribution system as does Tommy. I blame the FED for putting the "shortage" fear into the banks, a fear that will not easily be reversed. While you don't seem to realize it is hard work, Tommy obviously does.

Unlike you and Tommy I believe the cup is half full of coins, not half empty.

First, I definitely know it is hard work because I look through many boxes every week since I have one local bank that allows me to swap out quarter boxes. My other banks either refuse or have no coins to spare.

Second, it is obvious to me that you haven't read the PCGS press release about me because I stated this fact when I won the Quarter Quest contest.

Third, you don't know me so again you are WRONG. I do believe the cup is half full of coins and I am a big believer in Karma. I also believe you should be humble and not arrogant when life gives you lemonade instead of lemons.

To quote Forrest Gump "That's all I'm gonna say about that!"

• Options

I said before that if I can't find them I will buy them so its not a big deal. I bought 2 rolls of them yesterday for instance and believe it or not my lifestyle did not change. Unlike most coins I will make money on those 2 rolls immediately so the fun goes on and I did not get frustrated looking for the Marsh coins and not finding any.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I said before that if I can't find them I will buy them so its not a big deal. I bought 2 rolls of them yesterday for instance and believe it or not my lifestyle did not change. Unlike most coins I will make money on those 2 rolls immediately so the fun goes on and I did not get frustrated looking for the Marsh coins and not finding any.

Good luck my friend! I'm sure your going to hit soon. I did not find a Bat coin until August...

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shameless plug : @tommyrusty has sold a couple of superb Ws. Keep looking, man, and thanks for your efforts!!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2020 8:16PM

@7Jaguars said:
    Shameless plug : @tommyrusty has sold a couple of superb Ws. Keep looking, man, and thanks for your efforts!!

I agree! That is why I stood up for him.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found one in OKC

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Congratulations! Where is OKC?

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to find any in MO. Haven't been to any banks to buy rolls just looking in change. Had the first 2020 D cents and dimes show up that I had seen. :)

Ken
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2020 12:54PM

None found yet, but with the previous quarter (Salt River Bay), I had what might be close to a unique collector experience - I actually found the Salt River Bay 2020-W in change before I found the 2020-P and 2020-D quarters, who woulda thought?

• Options

Yeah....it's been quite a different year than 2019.....one more left to find!👀

• Options

Catching up on things after being gone for a while. So far no 2020s, waiting for my lucky moments to start...

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Yeah....it's been quite a different year than 2019.....one more left to find!👀

Release date is November 16th

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just found one!!!!! How exciting, it does have the new V75 privy mark as well. It didn't make "First Discovery" status, but it came out of a brand new Loomis roll and is in great shape, maybe I'll have it graded for the fun of it!!!!

• Options

@Onastone said:
    I just found one!!!!! How exciting, it does have the new V75 privy mark as well. It didn't make "First Discovery" status, but it came out of a brand new Loomis roll and is in great shape, maybe I'll have it graded for the fun of it!!!!

Congrats!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    I just found one!!!!! How exciting, it does have the new V75 privy mark as well. It didn't make "First Discovery" >status, but it came out of a brand new Loomis roll and is in great shape, maybe I'll have it graded for the fun of it!!

>

Congrats!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@Onastone said:

The thrill of the hunt! Congratulations on a great find!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the glare...coin photography can be tricky.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file