Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colors up close...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2020 10:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry RickO Lol.

We all know, (lovers of toned coins), how much we admire the beautiful tones on our coins. However, have we ever tried to focus on these many various splashes of vibrant colors more up close? When you pinpoint on some of these tones, they almost appear like a painting by our famous artist's work. For example, on my new Mercury dime. I took some close-up shots to show exactly what I'm talking about. Show some of your close-up shots on your toners. Thanks :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@AlanSki said:

Rembrandt? :D Beautiful dude!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2020 11:15AM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only environmental, post mint damage, that is sought after and praised - in some cases worshipped - by coin collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@abcde12345 said:

@ricko said:
    The only environmental, post mint damage, that is sought after and praised - in some cases worshipped - by coin collectors. Cheers, RickO

Here is an ultra super-sonic close up of a Morgan dollar between the letters A and M:

Looks like my boxers up close too.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s pretty cool up close like that. The brilliant neon colors look super cool 😎
    I might have to try that out next time I work with my camera.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2020 2:38PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Never tried it before, a little harder than I thought it would be, this is the best I could do without more practice. ;)
    Good challenge, thanks for helping me explore the limits of my equipment.

Nice! Looks like my Merc. In my opening post. Only yours looks prettier. B)

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    That’s pretty cool up close like that. The brilliant neon colors look super cool 😎

Joe, I cant even imagine how awesome your coins will look? Maybe, like back in the days when we were in the dark with our black lights? Lol Back to the 70's man.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Joe, I cant even imagine how awesome your coins will look? Maybe, like back in the days when we were in the dark with our black lights? Lol Back to the 70's man.

Just don't aim it at your sock drawer.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics!

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 7:36AM

:)

• Options

Hey, a Monet. B)

• Options

Hi ho...

• Options

• Options
    edited September 30, 2020 6:07PM

• Options

@AlanSki said:

Cool! Your top pic looks like the sunset. B)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@crazyhounddog said:

That would be the 60’s for me. Oops I’m showing my age again. Awe, the 60’s❤️

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2020 6:26PM

@AlanSki said:

@abcde12345 said:

@ricko said:

Here is an ultra super-sonic close up of a Morgan dollar between the letters A and M:

Looks like my boxers up close too.

• Options

@abcde12345 said:

@ricko said:

Looks like my St.louis Cardinal color.
    Go Redbirds! Lol

• Options

Nice. "Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high..."

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2020 2:03AM

Bust dollar With a green spot on the holder 😎

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 7:57AM

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you look in detail at the surface of a toned copper coin, even one that is overtly lustrous, the surface has a matte, almost dull look. Here's an example of a well-toned 57-D Cent that shows this characterstic. Note that you must shine the light at a low angle from the side to see this characteristic. Normal lighting angles will show the color, but not the surface characteristics.

Here's a detail shot of the cornflowers on a beautifully toned 1883 Morgan Dollar:

And here's a detail shot of the date for the same Morgan Dollar.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2020 10:59AM

@rmpsrpms said:
    When you look in detail at the surface of a toned copper coin, even one that is overtly lustrous, the surface has a matte, almost dull look. Here's an example of a well-toned 57-D Cent that shows this characterstic. Note that you must shine the light at a low angle from the side to see this characteristic. Normal lighting angles will show the color, but not the surface characteristics.

Here's a detail shot of the cornflowers on a beautifully toned 1883 Morgan Dollar:

And here's a detail shot of the date for the same Morgan Dollar.

Very good pictures.

Beautiful, quite beautiful! Your right,
    one needs to shoot the pic only on a certain angle, to bring out the pop of the color. Well, at least for us amateur photographers.
    Here's a thought? Someone, preferably a coin collector, should come out with a "coloring book " of the vast series of coins? RickO? Lol

• Options

• Options

We all must admit, the copper coins, seems to have the most prettiest tone on a coin. B)

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 11:27AM

Your shot would make a fine Art piece on someone's wall, if blown up and framed. ;)

You get the picture. Pun intended. Lol

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the COLOR in this thread! Well done everyone!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2020 9:26PM

Here's a close-up for RickO. Lol

Oh wait, I do see a sprinkle of color. I never seen it until I shot this pic. Sorry RickO.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2020 12:42PM

Sorry, no Ernie. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file