Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What’s the catch? This site is claiming to be selling Morgan dollars at $9.99

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can this website be getting away with offering Morgan dollars at $9.99 each. I almost bought some but something tells me this has to be a scam. But the ad keeps popping up in my Facebook page, I didn’t think total scams could do that. Anyway, here’s the link https://www.jaredi.com/products/复制-classic-collection-morgan-silver-dollar-coin--1878-1921-good--?fbclid=IwAR1ilbp75aqQupZR_YuWJT-qMKz0fMXn61qi5yEa682xXACk-wzugWbTnqo

Hopefully the link works

Mr_Spud

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

You best be throwing your hard earned income into all you can buy! Hell of a deal, 'eh? But, don't stop there buy the gold Kangaroos for only $19.99 each!!

NOT

Bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The catch is they’re going to be fake and not worth the $1 “face value”

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

They show pictures of real Morgan dollars, but I'm sure that what you get isn't what you see. You get what you pay for.

thefinn
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    This might provide a clue.
    Part of the website URL is in Chinese.

:)

Good catch. I don't even want to click on it.

• Options

I just went and looked at the $19.99 gold kangaroos after reading AUandAG’s response, I didn’t pay attention to them when I looked at the website the 1st Time. I can imagine someone falling for the $9.99 Morgan’s since they say “good” condition, like at first I thought it might be possible with damaged cull coins until I remembered that was below spot silver, but the gold kangaroos say they are 1 oz 999 pure gold. I don’t even think a total newbies grandmother would fall for that one. I think it’s crazy that those ads keep showing up on my Facebook home page ever since I briefly joined a Facebook coin group a while back. I quit the group after seeing people from foreign countries posting modern US pocket change and trying to sell it to anyone who clicked the like button or responded. But now I get these weird spammy coin ads.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fakes, and way overpriced at that.

• Options

Yep. Here’s another one that tempted me when it started showing up on Facebook. It looks like an intricately carved “hobo” Morgan dollar with a working mechanical hand, but I figure it not a real carved Morgan dollar, just some kind of mass produced thing that probably would fall apart https://laughingsquid.com/mechanical-coin-sculpture/

But if it was really carved from a Morgan it would be cool !

Sigh.... I miss going to real coin shows...

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a knock off of the carved dollars that Russian artist makes.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D:D

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run Forrest Run

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Morgan Dollars pictured there are genuine.
    But that is not what you actually get if you order.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud.... Welcome aboard.... Yes, a complete scam.... Good idea to check here.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Scams and spam on facebook? well I never....

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

FaceBook has been notified by a number of people that counterfeit coins are being sold by the Chinese criminals. The complaints have been ignored, not exactly a surprise. One of the major sellers of coins and other counterfeit goods on FaceBook is WISH, also from mainland China.

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

I suspect the Chinese scammers pay their ad fees on time and in full, so what's the problem??

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

and there are also ads selling (probably very crappy) suppressors as "automotive fuel filters". Facebook does not care.
    I've seen the same $10 morgan ad, it's definitely a scam.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the most part the photos look like genuine coins (of a much higher grade), but these look off to me...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are not going to get genuine coins.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

That reminds me of the Facebook ad for sandals I bit on last May. The first day I saw it I knew it was too good to be true, but when it appeared the second day, I bit. The sandals were selling for about one-fifth of retail, but appeared to be sponsored by the sandal maker (Ecco). I figured my Costco Visa would protect me (they always have).

Needless to say it was a total scam, and I got a refund. I just wasted my time.

Never trust a Facebook ad. Never.

Vplite99
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP's website jaredi.com is registered to the Chinese firm Alibaba.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rotsa ruck. Pass.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights