Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My coworker asked me to check out an Indian cent he just purchased

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2020 7:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

It turns out he just finished his 20th century proof type set (non-gold) with this little Indian 😍

(PR67 RD, the CAC sticker covers that)

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, dang! Can you get pics of the rest of the set?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice coin! :)

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 8:02PM

My coworkers don’t get my hobby and I’ve never been able to converted one to it. Do you work at a coin shop?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have better co-workers than most of us!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 11:25PM

Nice Indian. At least you have a co-worker in the hobby. When I try to explain the coins or the hobby in general, it's as if I have a third eye. Lol. This one couple at work was telling me that they have gallon containers of old quarters. Washingtons, Standing Libertys and Barbers. Then I .
    told them the slight goldmine they can actually have. I even wrote on paper examples of what key coins/varieties they can possibly have in those containers. They're reaction, oh, ok? Oh well. You can lead them to the water... :/

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2020 8:48PM

I use the word co-worker loosely... he’s way above me in pay grade but he loves to talk shop and share his latest purchases. A couple of my actual teammates collect as well, informally. One has a small pocket piece collection (Mercury dime, Eisenhower dollar, steel cent, etc) And the other is your classic millennial generation silver stacker.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

@WildIdea said:
    My coworkers don’t get my hobby and I’ve never been able to converted one to it. Do you work at a coin shop?

I wish I did!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    I like it, but I’m shocked that coin got a RD unless the purple is way lighter in hand.

I'm surprised CAC stickered it to boot. It looks to be an attractive RB to me.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 10:14PM

...or the glamour TV, if you prefer it.
    Lance.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    ...or the glamour TV, if you prefer it.
    Lance.

Dang! I need these to look at your coin, dude. B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice IHC.... What are the rest of his coins like? Are they all high grade and slabbed? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:
    I like it, but I’m shocked that coin got a RD unless the purple is way lighter in hand.

If it is RB, rather than RD, perhaps the color mellowed after PCGS and CAC viewed it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Nice Indian. At least you have a co-worker in the hobby. When I try to explain the coins or the hobby in general, it's as if I have a third eye. Lol. This one couple at work was telling me that they have gallon containers of old quarters. Washingtons, Standing Libertys and Barbers. Then I .
    told them the slight goldmine they can actually have. I even wrote on paper examples of what key coins/varieties they can possibly have in those containers. They're reaction, oh, ok? Oh well. You can lead them to the water... :/

Offer them $50/gallon. Then they will have a bunch of Starbucks lattes on you, and you'll have weeks worth of fun sifting through your own "junk silver" bins!

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

If it is RB, rather than RD, perhaps the color mellowed after PCGS and CAC viewed it.

Are you suggesting the toning has lightened up since PCGS/CAC viewed it, or the untoned areas have become muted to some level since then? If the former, I'd think all the more so previously it would have been RB. If the latter, my comment was based on the amount of toning, not the redness of the untoned areas (and those untoned areas look fully red to me, not the "red but not bright enough red" that often garners an RB even when the color is consistent throughout the coin).

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2020 7:01AM

@airplanenut said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

Are you suggesting the toning has lightened up since PCGS/CAC viewed it, or the untoned areas have become muted to some level since then? If the former, I'd think all the more so previously it would have been RB. If the latter, my comment was based on the amount of toning, not the redness of the untoned areas (and those untoned areas look fully red to me, not the "red but not bright enough red" that often garners an RB even when the color is consistent throughout the coin).

I was suggesting the possibility that the portions of the coin which appear to be toned (thus making it “RB”) might not have been toned or as toned, when PCGS and CAC viewed it. I‘d probably have no issue with the “RD” color of the untoned/less-toned areas of the coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

Mere weeks ago? The non-TV pics above looks like a red coin. I'm guessing in hand the toning isn't enough of a color shift away from RD to be called RB. I'm sure the pedigree didn't hurt matters, either.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@airplanenut said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

I was suggesting the possibility that the portions of the coin which appear to be toned (thus making it “RB”) might not have been toned or as toned, when PCGS and CAC viewed it. I‘d probably have no issue with the “RD” color of the untoned/less-toned areas of the coin.

That seems like a lot of (attractive) color to acquire that quickly, and while slabbed, and the TV photos show the toning, as well. That said, a longer-term reason that meshes with the new slab could be if the coin was only reholdered with the pedigree (and photographed) recently, but retained a grade from some time ago, and the color designation wasn't changed. As @messydesk mentioned, it may well be that the toning is a bit lighter or translucent allowing the mint red to show through. Part of me says I'd like to see the coin in hand to judge for myself, part of me says leave it to PCGS since they're better than I am, and part of me says there's a prominent name on the holder...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@messydesk said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

Mere weeks ago? The non-TV pics above looks like a red coin. I'm guessing in hand the toning isn't enough of a color shift away from RD to be called RB. I'm sure the pedigree didn't hurt matters, either.

Why necessarily “mere weeks” ago? I don’t think that a re-holder and/or re-grade would be likely to result in a change of color designation to RB, from RD.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 7:31AM

Beautiful coin! It's pretty awesome to have co-workers chasing Simpson coins. Is your co-worker well known in collecting circles?

Here are the TrueView and HeritageViews.

Given that the "Best of the Best" sticker on the reverse has to PCGS RFID logo, how likely is it that the sticker was added by PCGS?

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 7:46AM

Not a single one of my RD Wheaties (graded by the big two TPG's) has as much color as the OP coin. What do we call toning sometimes, "mellowing?"

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@MFeld said:

@messydesk said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

Why necessarily “mere weeks” ago? I don’t think that a re-holder and/or re-grade would be likely to result in a change of color designation to RB, from RD.

Well, it was part of the Simpson sale that sold 2 weeks ago, and given the pedigreed label, I'm assuming it was put in that holder relatively recently.

• Options

@airplanenut said:

@MFeld said:

@messydesk said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

Well, it was part of the Simpson sale that sold 2 weeks ago, and given the pedigreed label, I'm assuming it was put in that holder relatively recently.

I understand that, which is why I included “I don’t think that a re-holder and/or re-grade would be likely to result in a change of color designation to RB, from RD.”. My point was that even if the coin looked RB. I so think think it would be down-graded to such from RD, under a re-holder or to-grade.

However, Rick Snow has since posted that the coin was RB when graded.

• Options

@EagleEye said:
    I saw the coin in-hand. It was graded and TrueView'ed with the toning and CAC accepted it with the toning. Stop making excuses. Its RB. Pretty coin, though.

It looks obviously RB to me in all but one of the posted images. And there’s a difference between trying to understand and explain something, vs. “making excuses“.

• Options

Wow there’s a lot of images of this one out there! 😵

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 8:34AM

@EagleEye said:
    I saw the coin in-hand. It was graded and TrueView'ed with the toning and CAC accepted it with the toning. Stop making excuses. Its RB. Pretty coin, though.

Would it get an Eagle Eye Photo Seal sticker?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@messydesk said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

@EagleEye said:

I'll accept that. If I compare it with the other 1902 PR67RD TrueViews, the subject coin is more RB than the others. If I look at the PR67RB TrueViews that are available, the subject coin is less RB than this, the most RD of them:

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice coin

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, this coin in an older, non-prong holder, was graded 65RD. The toning grew over the 12 years I owned it.

It was submitted for a regrade last year and declared a 66RB.
    Lance.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    My coworker asked me to check out an Indian cent he just purchased

Well dang it! Tell him to join up over here and get our valuable opinions directly!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@messydesk said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

The coin was recently stickered because the coin was reholdered. CAC would review the coin to ensure that it hadn't turned before restickering it, no?

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is a very nice IHC.... What are the rest of his coins like? Are they all high grade and slabbed? Cheers, RickO

He completed a 20th-century proof types it, no gold. The rest are really nice too I’m sure.. I think I’ve seen his liberty head nickel and it was pretty stunning as well

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

@messydesk said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@airplanenut said:

The coin was recently stickered because the coin was reholdered. CAC would review the coin to ensure that it hadn't turned before restickering it, no?

By golly, that sounds correct.😉

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file