Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Home rolled slab questions . . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2020 6:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Greetings folks,

I have just a couple quick question on this topic.

Q1 - Can anyone identify the manufacturer of the slab in the image below? I'm pretty sure it's not Lighthouse, but who makes this? Logo in the lower right hand corner.

Q2a - Do you prefer silver coins on black backgrounds or white, and does coin size make a difference?

Q2b - Do you prefer copper coins on black backgrounds or white, and does coin size make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a Coin World holder. It's what I use for my less expensive coins. Look on ebay to buy them.

I prefer black for both silver and copper.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the CoinWorld holder sold by Amos publishing. I have a few that are sized to the old ANACS holder size.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    That's a Coin World holder. It's what I use for my less expensive coins. Look on ebay to buy them.

I prefer black for both silver and copper.

@TurtleCat said:
    Looks like the CoinWorld holder sold by Amos publishing. I have a few that are sized to the old ANACS holder size.

Thanks much. Looks like we have a consensus.

I like the way they stack . . . . but the label area is a little small.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like them for coins that stand out to me but not worth sending in. Since I have the older size, I wouldn’t mind having some more but I don’t think you can get them any more. I have all black inserts and only cents/dime sizes.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    Q2a - Do you prefer silver coins on black backgrounds or white, and does coin size make a difference?
    Q2b - Do you prefer copper coins on black backgrounds or white, and does coin size make a difference?

Opinions are all over the map. Pick what you like.
    Lance.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2020 6:21PM

So I talked with the guy who "used" to supply me some really nice self slabs for my home slabbing and storage project.

Seems he was contacted by NGC and / or PCGS lawdogs with a cease and desist order. He was threatened with a $2,000,000 lawsuit. Seems the TPG's are opposed to hobbyists encapsulating their own coins unless done through their "service."

Take a look around any of your favorite online commerce sites and you will notice the total lack of self slab sellers.

What the heck?

Z

• Options

Yeah, I know Coin World slabs are still out there by I was standardizing on a slab with a white background that shows a partial edge.

Z

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 6:19PM

so it's a trademark issue on a bordered label?

or the slab can't be some shape that has a border?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, it's a CW "DIY slab".
    I have had 1 or 2. I didn't like them.

I do have some self-slabs that are the size of the older, small, ANACS holders. I like them. I have them with inserts for most things and use them for certain things that aren't 'worth' sending in to get slabbed by PCGS as well as for gifts (until my son got into high school, I was using them to slab coins to give out at his birthday parties and in class....I would print out custom labels to commemorate his birthday (same as Lincolns, so I often used certain types of lincolns...wheaties one year, 2009 special lincolns another, and proofs another, etc)).

I have also given out SHQs in them and SAEs as special gifts. The clean, white, inserts make them look better as gifts than the black for the CW holders...and, to me, the slabs look better.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Agreed. I collect a variety of Daniel Carr's work. I think a white insert show off his medals and tokens best. The DIY slab I was using had "fingers" to suspend the coin making parts of the edge visible. This is critical to determine if one of his items has a smooth or reeded edge.

Z

@Bochiman said:
    As others have said, it's a CW "DIY slab".
    I have had 1 or 2. I didn't like them.

I do have some self-slabs that are the size of the older, small, ANACS holders. I like them. I have them with inserts for most things and use them for certain things that aren't 'worth' sending in to get slabbed by PCGS as well as for gifts (until my son got into high school, I was using them to slab coins to give out at his birthday parties and in class....I would print out custom labels to commemorate his birthday (same as Lincolns, so I often used certain types of lincolns...wheaties one year, 2009 special lincolns another, and proofs another, etc)).

I have also given out SHQs in them and SAEs as special gifts. The clean, white, inserts make them look better as gifts than the black for the CW holders...and, to me, the slabs look better.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 44 Mercury in one of those. I just thought it was a promotional piece.

• Options

Well, I ended up ordering a few LARGE self slabs from China. The first order just came in yesterday. Here is a link to that thread.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1047160/monster-diy-slab-heaven-big-medals-dan-carr-pieces#latest

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file