Pics are way too pixelated.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

best I can do

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

clear pics would be useful

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like face value to me

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintmarks were punched into individual dies by hand. If the punch shifted slightly between impacts of the hammer, you'll see doubling in the mintmark. While certainly interesting to study under magnification, this mintmark doubling was fairly common and doesn't add any value to the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    looks like face value to me

Yes or No? All you needed to answer. I collect errors and varieties. Not trying to get rich. I know they are beat up!

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you looked on Variety Vista for a match?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

ditch the microscope....try a loupe.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like machine doubling on both mint marks.

1989 was the last year mint marks were punched into the dies by hand, which means you will not find any RPMs on dates after that.

@PerryHall Your statement about RPMs is not correct. If that is your opinion, you might as well say that doubled dies are fairly common and don't add any value to the coin... ;)

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

1989 was the last year mint marks were punched into the dies by hand, which means you will not find any RPMs on dates after that.

@PerryHall Your statement about RPMs is not correct. If that is your opinion, you might as well say that doubled dies are fairly common and don't add any value to the coin... ;)

Doubled dies are created in a totally different manner than the mintmark impression. One is created during the hubbing process and the other is punched into the die by hand. It's not unusual for the mintmark punch to shift slightly while its being hit by a hammer. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Without better pics I wouldn't rule out machine doubling though.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Quarter was minted in 1994 so it can't be a RPM because the mint stopped adding mintmarks directly to working dies, as others have said.

The cent is difficult because the pics aren't good but the first closeup of the mm looks like it took a hit ( The raised part on the left looks thinner than a normal mm, which wouldn't occur if it was an RPM). Check www.varietyvista.com or www.doubleddie.com.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent looks like damage and the quarter machine doubling.....Cheers, RickO

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@IkesT said:

Doubled dies are created in a totally different manner than the mintmark impression. One is created during the hubbing process and the other is punched into the die by hand. It's not unusual for the mintmark punch to shift slightly while its being hit by a hammer. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Without better pics I wouldn't rule out machine doubling though.

My point is that there are plenty of collectible RPM varieties that would add value to a coin, just as there are doubled die varieties that would add value to a coin.

I notice that you do not use the term RPM in either of your comments, and perhaps you are thinking of something other than a true RPM. Machine doubling commonly causes a slight doubling of the mint mark, but another common cause of slight mint mark doubling is when the mint mark is impressed into the die with a damaged punch (which did happen at times, especially in the 1970's). If a coin has PMD on the mint mark, that can also make it look doubled, and that is also common.

Generally speaking, the more popularly collected and valuable RPM varieties are those where the RPM has a relatively large spread, but that is not always the case. Sometimes rarity is a greater factor in the value of the variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file