Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Metro East Coin & Currency Club Fall Show - Collinsville, IL - 9/27/2020 - My thoughts

For the first time since February, I went to a coin show, this one in the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis, specifically, Collinsville. I set up there twice a year. Past shows was usually decent. This one, in the era of Covid-19, was ok as far as crowd (basically what was let in due to restrictions imposed by the state) was concerned, however, some dealers had a decent show. For me, however, it was disappointing. I don't feel that it is the club's fault - not a bit. I feel that not all of the collectors that usually go were out there this time. I only had one sale, and that was on some "darkside" stuff that I was blowing out. If this is the situation other dealers are facing in this environment with some of the other local shows, then I don't know what to think. I will be at another local coin show two hours south from where I live in two weeks, in a town of 5,000 but with a club that has over 100 members. This is usually a good show, but I'll see.

DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Sorry it was a bit of a downer.... but I would expect that with the virus situation. Although there are no coin shows in this area, gun shows have been doing amazingly well.... Heavy attendance and wall to wall tables.... I wish you better luck at the next show. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

@stldanceartist said:
    Having attended that show (as both a customer and a dealer) I'll say that being a customer was way better most times.

I feel like my inventory of what I was offering (mostly world coins and die varieties) wasn't what people were looking for at that show - most people wanted bullion (under spot, of course) or cheap silver dollars. For the most part other dealers only wanted to buy slabs from me if they were severely discounted - so it was better/more productive to just not bother with setting a table up and to walk around to see what I could buy for myself (or what other dealers like David (CJST) or Mike/Darin (Edel Coins) had brought for me, since they know I like world silver and toners.) I never got anywhere close to doing coin imaging for anyone, dealer or customer, which was disappointing.

I will say that it's a show that is more my speed than the bigger ones. I don't care too much to walk around a show where you have to fight someone just to even get a glimpse of a dealer's table. I always felt the organizers at the MECC and Dupo Coin Club shows (both in Collinsville across the street from where I went to middle school) were quite friendly, the environment was relaxed and peaceful, and there were usually a few good deals to take home.

Hope you have a worthwhile show down south!

Understood. I just don't know if this is the way things are going to be in a Covid environment. To me this could be the "new" normal, but really don't know. Like I said in my post, it's not the sponsoring club's fault. I know my website, which is the only other outlet to sell my things, is not doing good, but that is another story for another day at this point.

DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file